1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Astronomy Links and Iphone Apps

Discussion in 'Astronomy & Astrophotography' started by Skywatcher, May 21, 2009.

1. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

Iphone Apps

Moon map lite - a free map of the moon not bad for your first few sessions - free
    Planets- Brilliant - locks onto your GPS tells you all the times of planets rising and falling where they are along with uin and moon times and phase- free
    Distant Suns Lite - Very good hand held planetarium - again locks onto your gps and tells you what to look for in each direction - great for beginners - takes a bit of getting used to as a layout but should help you get used to seeing some of the shapes and of course you can take it outside with you unlike the PC versions.

Useful Websites

Heavens Above Input your location and it tells you when and where to watch the ISS sail overhead over the next few nights , also gives details of other Satellites, comets, Space shuttles as well as basic planetary and lunar details - very good site

Lunar Republic - The best moon map on the web - choose a part of the moon hover your cursor over the crater and it gives you the name and its size :D

Red Spot calculator - When Jupiter is up and about you can find out when you can see the red spot!

Space Weather - Great site that tells you about solar activity as well as anything else interesting going on up there and there are usually some nice piccies as well :D
    Last edited: May 21, 2009
  2. lozzy

lozzy Addicted to Mickey

Thanks Skywatcher, I have just downloaded to my Phone, I'll show the kids when they get home they're always asking me what planets are in the sky and what this and that star are.
  3. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

Ok added some more - let me know if there is anything specific anyone wants and i'll try and help
  4. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Reading a bit on the other thread about Dawn's success with a truly dark sky got me excited and sent me off exploring the web a wee bit. :mental:

Came across this on YouTube:

Sirius Stargazing

Hope you don't mind me posting this here Chris but it looked pretty good and is targeted to the true amateurs!

Like me! :yes:

Tom :)macwave:... now... which end of these things do I look into?)