1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

BA vs Virgin

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by Oreo, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

Howdy,

Not been around for a while due to getting a new job and other reasons.

So apologies.

While i've been away we've been allocated a flight for our trip next September.

Sadly, it's with British Airways despite us requesting Virgin. My biggest upset is the fact that not only have we lost our downtown disney check in we've also been put onto really rubbish flight back, almost losing a day.

There really seems no benifit for me to have booked early.

My biggest issue is that my partner really suffered with the seats last year and has now become very wary of flying. She would also prefer Virgin on the basis that she knows what she's getting into.

I have an email with Disney who have said they will look into it to see what they can do, but I am not holding my breath as they were really unhelpful yesterday and quite rude, which is very unlike Disney.

Anyway despite all this I am looking for oppinions in regards to how the two airlines compare?

Has anyone been lucky enough to fly with both recently?

Am I right to be a little upset that I seem to have been forgotten about by Disney or is it just a case of bad luck?
  2. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Hi and welcome back, it's good to see you here :D

I can't help I'm afraid, I have only ever flown with Virgin :sorry:

Can Disney not let you pay a little extra and transfer you to Virgin?

I guess you could always cancel and re-book with someone else and get the Virgin flights.
  3. robertcraig

robertcraig Serious Forum Regular

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    You could always book your flights separate from your hotel
  4. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

I had a lot of friends switch for Virgin to BA this year (as they were cheaper) and said BA were better than Virgin
  5. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

I like BA, they would be my first choice. I actually found their economy seats more comfortable than their premium economy ones when we flew last December. At the end of the day it's 8/9 hours each way, most airlines are about the same these days with the branding appealing to different people.
  6. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

There's not a lot of difference to be honest so in a way that does make the little things like DTD checkin a little more important :/ We fly Virgin because they go direct from Manchester whereas BA changes at London, but if BA went direct I wouldn't have a problem flying with them. Quality wise they're about the same BUT I would miss DTD checkin I must admit
  7. robertcraig

robertcraig Serious Forum Regular

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    does anyone else find a big increase of airfares for 2014
  8. keith

yeah :( sadly everyone's commenting on it. I think it's a combination of a load of factors really

Fuel is of course going up and that's the huge cost for airlines
    taxes have gone up everywhere and a few hundred pounds of any ticket is now made up of these background taxes. Easy money for the government and airports etc.
    Then add in the "green" fees (lets not even go there)
    and finally, there's been a lot of consolidation in the airlines with company purchases meaning less fundamental competition and less low price fares.

It feels really weird now that we have very low cost and very successful regional airlines for long haul to be going extremely expensive but 2014 is looking particularly bad.

I also can't help thinking that the airlines perceive an improvement in the economy and so they're planning on riding it for all they can. They're so clever with pricing now that if 50 people all start searching certain dates, they can dynamically put pricing up for those dates until the demand seems to die down then they can wind the price back and bit and so on. It's not just school holidays that are programmed in any more it's major events and all sorts of expected high demand and if you're trying for that day, blam, you're gonna be paying more just cos they can.

So yeah, I'm not optimistic for 2014 airfares at the mo
  9. Britchick

I did see though that school holiday prices had gone up even more this year to take advantage of people having to take holidays at certain times. They are at risk of pricing normal people out of having a holiday I think
  10. keith

agreed and of course there are people who would be very ok with that! Air travel was once the domain of the very wealthy and as a very luxury service, the price could be as high as needed and competition was on the best level of service. The climate change folks would certainly love to price air travel out of the range of holiday makers and a couple of years back the prime minister was all about spending holidays in the UK, spending money here instead of abroad and so on.

So I'm not holding my breath for any political intervention to stem the price rises, nor am I waiting for the companies themselves who after all have always said that a very few business class/1st/upper tickets have to massively subsidise economy to make it viable. If they can keep raising prices to bring it back to pre-discount-air-fare days, I'm sure they will.
  11. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

I've only ever flown BA - the additional item they let you bring on board is really useful for those with a laptop bag. Also, it's a real benefit that they don't weigh your cabin baggage. Don't get me wrong, I don't take oodles of stuff, but it makes sense that I can put small, heavy things in my cabin bags, leaving the large light stuff in my checked luggage to make the 23Kg limit.

My dealings with Virgin haven't been great, although I wouldn't rule them out.
  12. keith

I must agree that virgin have been silly about extra items of cabin baggage. Over the years we've had arguments with them about a handbag + 1 cabin bag. a laptop + 1 cabin bag, and a cuddly toy :/ They stood there on each occasion and made us stuff the additional item in the one cabin bag. Truly stupid IMHO.

They HAVE changed the rules this year though and are a bit more lenient now
  13. Britchick

was that just US end or UK too, I've found BA check in people in the UK to be brilliant, in US...not so much. Actually had some horrible woman argue with me about how many bags we should have... we had 5 for the 4 of us and were in premium. She was making out she was doing me a favour by allowing the extra bag on for free, that was Miami. Atlanta wasn't very good either. I found that when we flew Virgin too, although that was over 9 years ago, that was Washington though.
  14. keith

We've had it with virgin mainly in Orlando. The most stupid one was when we bought a small cuddly toy from the shop in the airport. At the gate some obnoxious jobsworth woman pulled us out of the queue to board and started a right rant about how we could only have one bag each and it was all to do with weight and how would we like it if the extra weight fell on us from the overheads. Mind you, it wasn't improved when I suggested hitting her over the head with the cuddly toy to see if a) it was a real threat to human safety and b) if some COMMON SENSE could be knocked in.

The worst time was BA at Washington many years ago who grabbed my carry on and threw it on the conveyor because they thought we had too many carry ons. We didnt but by that time it had gone :( of course by manchester the contents had been spilled all over the hold and I lost some irreplaceable photo negatives and other stuff. BA couldn't have cared less if they actively tried.

I *usually* find in matters of customer service, the US will go further but I must admit in this instance at least the UK side normally does TRY and say ok why dont you re-pack a bit etc.
  15. Britchick

16. keith

Then again, I find the whole airline industry is all about "sit down shut up stay quiet get off" in contrast to the days I used to fly BA business everywhere and they did so much for us. Perhaps Virgin upper will be better but not sure I can see it
  17. Wendy

You won't have a problem with Virgin upper, we never have, although I do think the cabin crew on the Gatwick flight are nicer than the Manchester crew :lol:

This last time I had my handbag, my carry on and another bag, they never batted an eyelid.

The only problem you are going to have it that the seats you have chosen don't have overhead lockers so you will have to share with the others and people can get quite possessive about their lockers :lol: If there isn't room, then they will put your carry on in the wardrobe. Last time a woman got on with a wheeled carry on, a laptop bag, her handbag and a huge Disney bag full of cuddly toys. Nothing was said to her at all, they just put them in the wardrobe.

I'm hoping you have a good crew because it makes all the difference and they are very polite calling you Mr Keith and Mrs Keith, it really makes a difference in this day and age.

I don't know what you are going to do after turning left though :lol:
  18. keith

:lol: well hopefully it'll be a good experience. We're already resigned to not having an overhead locker in the seats we've chosen so we'll have to store them in the wardrobe and grab them on the way out. I'm not playing fight over storage, I want to get on, relax and try and get some sleep :lol:
  19. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

I assume that you have seats 6A & K Keith ?
    These are our favourite seats because my DW [who is a nervous flyer] and I have some eye contact during the flight. We have managed to get these for our return journey this time and the lady I spoke to at VA referred to them, as the "honeymoon seats" as the occupants can play "tootsie" as they lie in their beds.
    I said "Well so long as that`s all that they get up to on the flight, I guess there`s no cause for any complaints". :lol:
  20. Wendy

Well, talking about honeymoon seats :lol: we actually had a couple on our flight home, who we reckon had been bumped by the way they were acting. I reckon they were newlyweds as it was a bit ott with all the canoodling that was going on, the cabin crew said nothing until the guy changed into his sleep suit, he dropped his trousers in the cabin to get changed :nono: the poor elderly lady that was sat opposite him nearly choked on her drink. Then they the icing on the top was that they actually shared a bed :nono: