1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Back Stage Tours

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World' started by Wendy, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

If you have done a backstage tour, which one did you do, did you enjoy it and how long was it?

I have to bear in mind that I can't walk for hours on end, stairs, steep slopes and uneven or narrow walkways are all a problem.

2. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

The only one that we have done was the Keys to the Kingdom Tour at the MK a few years ago which we really enjoyed.
    From memory it lasted around 4 hours or so at the end of which was lunch laid on at one of the restaurants in Liberty Square.
    There is a bit of walking involved, but no more really than if you were to do your normal thing at the park. They do frequently stop for a rest along the way where things are explained to you.
    Again from memory, the only steps involved was when we went out through a secret door at the back of one of the shops along Main Street to access the "behind the scenes" area and entrance to the utilidors.
    I`m sure that you and Chris would enjoy the experience and you would be able to cope with it ok Wendy.

3. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I think I've done them all, unless they've added more since I last looked.

For brilliant value, the keys to the kingdom tour is brilliant. It's about half a day and is a walking tour but I should say, they walked pretty fast. Indeed a few members of our group had trouble keeping up. We saw a load of things at the magic kingdom as well as the utilidors etc.

My favourite though has to be backstage magic.

It's an all day tour including most of the parks and some of the resorts as well. You get to see a lot more, lunch is included and you're driven around in a disney coach which saves walking everywhere :)

4. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

Ive done keys to the kingdom and although i really loved it my mum found it really hard work. i dont recall us sitting down at all apart from at lunch and she really struggled. near the end of the tour they put a video on about when the park was being built but we all had to stand for it, it was a killer - personally wendy id look into another one if i were you, although it sounds like it depends on the cm you get doing it its not a risk i think you should take

5. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I do agree with that. It was a lot of walking around and standing

6. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

If you really want to do the tour, would you consider renting a wheelchair or ecv?

7. Wendy

I suppose I could but I feel so self conscious. I normally only have to use one stick, but at the moment I'm having to use two and I am so embarrassed, I feel like an old woman. I would feel the same way using an ecv or wheelchair.

I prefer to walk and it just means we take breaks :)

8. Mags

Mags Serious Forum Regular

We did the Behind the Seeds tour at The Land in Epcot Wendy. It is a one hour walking tour which was definitely long enough for me. It was a very informative walk through the area with plants, fish and alligators. We enjoyed it a lot. It is $18 each and although we booked well in advance, you can sign up on the day in the Land Pavilion just before the entrance to Soarin'

Mags

9. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I certainly understand that Wendy. But please don't let pride limit you from doing something you would enjoy.

10. Wendy

Thank you Johnie, I do try not to let it stop me.

11. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Peace, Love and Mickey Mouse

We.ve done Keys to the Kingdom, it's fab. The CM we had wasn't walking too fast, so it was manageable for me, but there certainly weren't any sitting breaks. If you do decide to try it, go first thing in the morning when it's cooler.

12. Wendy

Thank you for the replies :hug2: I'm trying to think of different things to do to make this year special and to do some new things.

I just don't want to mess things up for other people if I am too slow :sigh:

13. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

I find myself in a catch 22 situation... on the one hand I would LOVE to see what beneath MK, the secret entrances and corridors and stuff, on the other, I would neve rbe able to feel the same way when visitng, it would in a way, take away from the magic.... yeah, Im weird!

Wendy; I would get a wheelchair for the tour, you will enjoy yourself much more, wont have to worry about keeping up and wont get tired during it, so you will be able to save your walking for the rest of the day :)
    The firs ttime we visited in 2003 I went in a wheelchair,I could walk short distances, but could not have kept up, especially not in a good mood, had I had to walk everywhere, so dont feel self concious sweetie! Disney is one of the few places in the world where they make you feel welcomed in one :yes:

14. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

Mari - i can honestly say it didnt/hasnt taken anything away for me, infact maybe even the opposite!! I absolutely loved seeing how it was all built, loved seeing the photos of them doing work, and i felt kind of special knowing things about the place that nobody else knew!

Wendy - we had a lady in a wheelchair on our tour, nobody even batted an eyelid! We went on a couple of rides, but went via the exits so it made no difference to the lady anyway and she fitted in with our group just fine! If it means that youd be able to do KTTK id really think about hiring one, just for the day! :hug2: