Backlot tour closing?

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World News & Rumors' started by Britchick, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Britchick

Britchick Well-Known Member

just read this on a Facebook page! I wonder if it's true and if so what's coming in it's place? I generally used it as a bit of a rest and am a bit bored of it. Why couldn't Frozen land or whatever it's called go there?
    what do you think?

2. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Well-Known Member

Housewife.
    I've just read it too. It makes me sad as this was one of my favourite attractions. :(

3. keith

keith Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Home Page:
    yeah me too, I'll miss it

4. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou Makuakane Administrator

I reckon it's to make way for Star Wars land, that area is very large area :(

5. Beccaberry

Beccaberry Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Website Manager/IT
    I'll miss it a bit. But I'll miss the "tour of yore" more than the current iteration. Will admit I get somewhat nervous as they start shutting things down in that area...don't touch my Osborne Lights!

6. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou Makuakane Administrator

I think the Osborne Lights will be going at some point Becca There was a rumour that they wouldn't be on this year but I think as usual Disney are a little behind with their planning.

7. Britchick

My last experience of the lights was awful. We got trapped in a crowd and were unable to move for ages. I really thought we were going to be crushed. It's really put me off!. I must admit I'm a bit surprised that so many people like the backlot tour tbh

8. Beccaberry

Website Manager/IT
    Yes, I do suppose I'm fighting a losing battle, eh? My only hope is that if/when they go, Disney brings them back in some form or fashion, another location, another park...I dunno, I'd just be really sad to see them utterly gone.

9. keith

keith Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Home Page:
    Me too on the lights :( I keep trying it and last year everyone just stopped, I had to awkwardly push people (sorry folks :/ ) just to be able to avoid being crushed and soon as I could leave, I did. That's SO SO SO much worse than when it was down the residential film set :( I'll never forgive them for that change.

The backlot tour... well it's not as good as it was but it's *something* argh :/ I mean I totally know what you mean, it's not going to set the world on fire with excitement but it's a fun few minutes. Ish.
    The more I think about it, the more I think I'm living in the past with it and I like the reminder of how things used to be.

There's a rumour that the area would be a kinda toy story land but yeah, star wars makes more sense to me really.

10. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Well-Known Member

Housewife.
    Really? But it is interesting and Catastrophe Canyon is such fun. I like the fact that it is about studio work.

11. Lisa1976

Lisa1976 Active Member

Secretary/Photographer
    Home Page:
    I'm another fan of Backlot. Do we really need a Star Wars land, me thinks not. Certainly puts Hollywood Studios on the back list for me :(

12. Britchick

Maybe if they did another scene rather than the sea one at the start- I enjoy looking at artefacts I think catastrophe canyon is just too lame... If they had updated it I would be happy though! I'm bored with Indiana Jones too :lol:

13. Beccaberry

Website Manager/IT
    *sigh* you and me both. I miss it so.

14. piglet

piglet Well-Known Member

clerical
    I've heard a rumour that it's going to be Toy Story Land, wonder if that's right

15. Tink

Tink Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Well. :( As you all know Backlot Tour is definitely being taken away. Seems as though the end of September is the change up date for many things at WDW.

I too, have heard rumors as early as two years prior that Osbourne Lights are going to cease. I wonder how the Osbourne family feels about that? The Father put those lights up, more and more each year, even buying neighboring houses to decorate, for his daughter. Talk about an indulgent parent! :lol: I remember one early year (maybe even the first year?) when the family was there and threw the "turn on switch" for that year. It was really nice, and back when the lights were used to decorate houses and the like, and not just thrown up in a haphazard blinding display.

I think displays like that matter a great deal here in Florida. I know it used to take a trip to DTD to instill the Christmas spirit/feeling for us, as being north-easterners it was hard to adjust to the heat and warmth of a winter season. DTD, Osbourne Lights, the decorated resorts, the decorated parks, all helped. I like the delay of decorations until the day after Thanksgiving too. That helped build excitement.

Guess we'll just have to do our own this year, eh? Seeing as how I sold our artificial trees at the storage unit sale, this should be a bit of a trick. :) Herself, is definitely not in the frame of mind to celebrate, but we have the boy so that is a must.

Sheesh. Talk about derailing a thread. Sorry for the digression.

Back full circle, Back Lot Tour is done 9/27 from what my CM friend has said.

16. Britchick

I just looked up the history and Disney bought the rights in 1995!

17. Tink

Tink Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Yep. That seems to coincide with my memory. :D We moved to FL in '97 but spent Christmas of '96 here... among others, so it was one of those early years that we saw the family.

18. Docjeff

Docjeff New Member

I lament the changes as well. I keep reminding myself that part of Walt's dream was for the Disney parks to be constantly growing and changing. Having attended Disney parks for years, I think I understand the dream but sometimes growth is uncomfortable at first.

19. BUTTERHEAD1

BUTTERHEAD1 Active Member

Retired NYPD Detective
    On 2 seperate occasions I was one of the guys on the boat in the Backlot tour. In fact last year both my son and I were on the boat together. It's not one of those rides that I will miss very much but glad I got to share that experience with my son.

20. Beccaberry

Website Manager/IT
    The Lights are one of my most favorite things at Disney. I will never forget the first time we experienced them - I literally sat down on the curb of Residental Street and cried from pure, unadulterated joy (thank goodness for those holographic glasses!). Of all the things we may lose, this will make me the saddest.

I believe (as the story goes) Jennings Osborne passed away in 2011. Following his death, the family found themselves in considerable debt and sold off much of their assets (including selling their claim to the lights to Disney outright) to pay their creditors.

Sad story really.

The lights have changed a bit - replaced as needed, small changes to make them more energy efficient, etc. And, I have heard (and choose to believe) that Disney is looking to reinvent them in some way - perhaps by moving them as well as by changing the name...

Time will tell, eh?