1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Bands Pulling out of SeaWorld's Band's Brews and BBQ Event

Discussion in 'SeaWorld, Discovery Cove and Aquatica News & Rumou' started by Wendy, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

SeaWorld Orlando has had three acts cancel their performances for their Bands, Brews & BBQ spring event due to the recent Blackfish documentary.

The first to cancel was Country singer Willie Nelson who told Nelson CNN, that the reason for cancelling was because of the documentary and online fan petitions asking artists to reconsider the performance. "I don't agree with the way they treat their animals. It wasn't that hard a deal for me," said Nelson.

Barenaked Ladies also cancelled their performance, stating on Facebook "This is a complicated issue, and we don't claim to understand all of it, but we don't feel comfortable proceeding with the gig at this time."

The lasted band to cancel is Heart who wrote on their Twitter account: "Heart has chosen to decline their forthcoming performance at SeaWorld on 2/9/14 due to the controversial documentary film Blackfish."

SeaWorld spokesman Nick Gollattscheck told CNN, "While we're disappointed a small group of misinformed individuals was able to deny fans what would have been great concerts at SeaWorld by Heart, Barenaked Ladies and Willie Nelson, we respect the bands' decisions. The bands and artists have a standing invitation to visit any of our parks to see first hand or to speak to any of our animal experts to learn for themselves how we care for animals and how little truth there is to the allegations made by animal extremist groups opposed to the zoological display of marine mammals."

2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I heard through the grapevine that Joan Jett did too...

3. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Cheap Trick, REO Speedwagon and Trisha Yearwood have also cancelled their performances at the SeaWorld Bands, Brew and BBQ event.

In a letter to SeaWorld President Jim Atchison, Joan Jett said "I was surprised and upset to see on YouTube that SeaWorld used "I Love Rock 'n' Roll" as the opening music for its cruel and abusive 'Shamu Rocks' show. I'm among the millions who saw 'Blackfish' and am sickened that my music was blasted without my permission at sound-sensitive marine mammals," Jett wrote. "These intelligent and feeling creatures communicate by sonar and are driven crazy in the tiny tanks in which they are confined."

She then went on to warn Atchison that if she doesn't get it in writing that SeaWorld has stopped using any of her music, "I will be forced to take further action, and you'll find me among the PETA protesters outside your parks."

4. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

I used to think that Seaworld was a cut above a "zoo", however now I`m beginning to change my opinion.
    I only hope that Disney do not allow AK to go the same way.

5. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

I can see Sea world really suffering because of this and I think they've been victims of a hate campaign. It's a shame for all the good they also do. I don't think there's many people on the planet that would choose to take animals from captivity now.
    I do hope that the people that are so outspoken avoid all zoos, get everything they buy ethically, don't buy designer items made in sweatshops, eat free range meat, eggs etc etc otherwise they're huge hypocrites in my eyes. Sorry but I feel quite strongly about the whole thing :)

6. Lisa1976

Lisa1976 Addicted to Mickey

It's such a shame, as you say they also do so much good.

I think it's hard sometimes because the viewer is only seeing what the editing cut shows

7. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

More and more bands keep pulling out. I can't remember them all. SeaWorld has said they will replace them all.

I'm not a fan, and won't pretend I am, but yes they do good things too. They rescue manatees and other seagoing creatures that have been injured, just like Disney does. And quite honestly, with the rumored proposed changes to AK, I'm not too impressed with Disney right now either!

8. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

That's the problem IMHO, bands trying to be all eco-friendly because they've seen one biased side of an argument cut into a nice simple film. It's always easier to make a negative documentary than a positive one.

The thing is, seaworld are very obviously on their back foot now. Their responses have come close to dismissive of the issues, defensive without actually putting the good aspects forward. Don't know who's doing PR for seaworld but massive FAIL.

Britchick likes this.
  9. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

Maybe they are hoping to play it down and it will disappear?

10. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

If they wanted to do that, they'd do what Disney & Universal do when they're criticised - say nothing at all.

Responding to Blackfish as avidly as Seaworld has gives the complaints credence.

11. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

yeah, they've pulled a stunningly bad mix of silence, annoyed responses and silly PR comments. They really either needed to completely shut up or do a proper job of answering the criticism.

In a way though I think seaworld FEELS a bit secretive :/ it feels like they know we wouldnt like the 100% honest truth about what has to happen in order to capture/keep the animals and so they're all about semi-truths and putting a front on. This is what blackfish has latched onto and they just don't have a good answer to it.

Perhaps they should've got there first and taken a really out there radical approach. Look folks, the whales usually don't buy a ticket to Orlando, get a limo and jump in the tank.. this is how we rescue/find/train and it's for everyone to personally make their own judgement as to whether what we do is right but here's why we care so much about it....