1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Barbados... mini trippie....now with photos

Discussion in 'Non Disney Trips and Travels' started by Ursula, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

There will be pics so bear with me...
    May 17th, Saturday: Woke up and today's the day that our holiday starts! Even though we fly out tomorrow this is the start for us. We get the cat carrier out of the shed and I yell *Good Luck* to DH as I drive off for last minute bits and bobs lol... Get back to find blood all over the lounge... His.. not the cats... lol (Joking) Bea is in the carrier and we take her to the cattery, get back and make sure all the windows are shut and locked, doors the same and pour bleach down all plugholes and toilet after last minute bathroom duties. Mike our usual cab driver is here. Suitcases loaded up and we're off! whaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaay! OK so it's only to the Manchester travel lodge but we get excited all the same, I have packed our usual picnic and milk for the coffee facilities. We basically chill out and hit the sacks early knowing that the next day will come earlier if we sleep now.

May18th, Sunday: Whoooooooooop! Today's the day! We don't have to rush because we have an early afternoon flight, so we take leisurely showers and coffee, I can't eat the breakfast we have prepaid for so DH and DD go and get breakfast for themselves... I use the time to catch some more Zzzzz's because I got up in the night to find that DD's bed was empty... it was 3am and she was not in the room.... oh great :( I wait and wait for her but no show so after an hour I am not a happy bunny and go looking for her... she couldn't sleep so was talking to the staff at the front desk. After a flea in the ear she comes back to bed. So I am abit tired as you can understand. Kids!

Anyway they come back and I get up and we make our way to the airport via the shuttle bus from the Travel Lodge... I see there is a Premier Lodge next door, it looks newly built and I don't recall seeing that there before?... anyways, make mental note for maybe next time... Get to the airport and even though we are early for our check in there are still loads of people there. Ha! we head straight to the front of the Premium Economy line, but get called to the front of the First Class desk and we get processed here, and request bulkhead seats which we luckily get, thankyou... We immediately go through to the other side because I like to look at the duty free shops and planes. As we go through I get stopped and patted down even though the machine doesn't go off, but I always do, so it's no biggy. I get swabbed with a stick thing that has a cloth on it and they test it for drugs. Believe me, if it came up with anything I would be the most surprised! I know it's going to be clear but I still hold my breath?????? Why I have no idea. Anyways we are all clear...:taunt:
    We get called to our gate and we can see we are going to fly on Jetstream today :) It was lovely and new looking inside, the seats in PE were leather and very very comfy we even had a footstool brought out of the overhead lockers for each of us in bulkhead. The Virgin staff were brilliant, in more ways than one lol... they all had had their teef whitened, I have never seen such bright teef in my life! But anyways, that aside, our special thanks go to Richard on there, he was very camp and very very funny. At the end of the flight I thanked him and he gave me a big hug and a kiss... aw... can I take him home?...
    The flight went by reasonably quickly because I was able to get some sleep, wonder why I was so tired... hmmnnn DD! I tried to watch some films and play some games but felt too fidgety to concentrate so gave it up. Read the free magazines and paper instead and snoozed in between being fed and watered lol. I had chicken and pineapple with peas and rice, I enjoyed it, had worse. DH had the same and DD had the mushroom ravioli which she says was good, followed by a GU chocolate raspberry mousse, yummy and later on a Haagen Daz vanilla ice cream pot. For tea we had a cheese roll... dry but it went down soaked in JD and coke :) We landed early and the doors were opened! Halleluyah! Let the holiday begin! Heat heat drip drip.... Get through to our coach the other side and see the cabin crew... Richard yells to me... "Oh god no... not you again... are you causing trouble again!" Lol... Because we'd gotten out so early we were taken off the coach and put into a taxi straight to the hotel to save us waiting for ages for the others.. Richard offered to carry my stuff over to the cab lol... more hugs later and we part ways...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2009
  2. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

Re: Barbados... mini trippie....

yeap!! let the holiday begin!!!

3. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

Sunday still: We got to our hotel and wow there is a scent coming from somewhere that is just gorgeous! Will have to hunt that down later... right now we need to get to some air con pronto.... :heatwave: We find our room and dump our stuff after having a mad runaround looking at the bathroom, and patio and kitchinette area. This is DD ToTMistress showing off her new hairdo for the hols :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The room is nicely furnished and clean and the bathroom is clean also, this will do. Plus we have a plasma screen tv in case there are any rainy days so we are happy. Off to explore now and get our bearings, we also need to eat so go and find a place to eat then we hit the sack because it's been a long day.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  4. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

Monday 19th May: Woke at 5am, 10am UK time so that figures. Woke up frozen solid so after unbending myself I go to adjust the air con, and start unpacking, DH and DD wake up and perform coffee making duties. Before we do anything else today we have to hit the supermarket to get essentials, but right now I am going to sit on the patio and drink in the view, our Hotel is right on the beach and we have pool view and sea view.

[​IMG]

We are very close and the lull of the waves is very soothing and I can feel myself unwinding. We brought cereals and plastic cutlery and stuff because the cost of things in Barbados is expensive. We find a complimentary bottle of Barbados Mount Gay rum on the table and that gets tucked away for home :) I'm afraid there is no WalMart here, the closest thing they have to it I suppose is a supermarket called Big B. So we summon a cab and our cab driver is called Carl, a very nice gentleman. Stock up on essentials and back to our room to change and hit the pool as we can feel the sun stinging our skin. After creaming up we hit the pool and that pool water was cool and deliciously skin calming lol. The sea is absolutely beautiful, it's a turquoise colour and everything you dream of, with white sand and coconut palms, and don't forget to not sit under the palm trees lol. We have salad bits and fresh baked rolls for lunch then back out for more sun, sea and sand lol. At 4pm every day the Hotel and other Hotels in Barbados have an English style High Tea which they serve free of charge. Which consists of English tea, coffee and cakes, scones and biscuits. The Bajan staff here are very friendly and the people so far on the Island have been friendly, yes I think we'll be liking it here.
    We went to the Hotel bar to eat and the food was good, I had tuna and coleslaw in pitta bread while DH and DD had cheeseburger and fries each, it all went down well with ice cold cokes and water. The water in Barbados is drinkable so no spending on bottled water needed, we drank it and we were fine. We went out after dinner and had a walk along the street markets and shops and bars nearby, a Rastafarian came up and shook our hands (the Bajan people do that alot) and then he came back to me and gave me a squidgy hug saying "aw" lol... dunno why but I'm not complaining. Got back to the room and again we hit the sack until morning!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2009
  5. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

So far so good! :yes: Sounds like things are going well... no green monkeys though. :(

6. disneymom

disneymom Imagineer

I LOVE trip reports more please :hug2:

7. Mags

Mags Serious Forum Regular

Sounding good so far. Nice to see the photos.

Margaret

8. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

Oooh I want to go to the Big B. :D

9. mumof2

mumof2 Serious Forum Regular

awww, sounds fab!

:point:i wonder why the guy came back for a squidgy hug....:unsure:

10. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

I dunno lol.... and Dawn.... you shurrup or I will send more of that hot sauce over... cos that's where I got it from.

11. mumof2

perhaps word had got round that you were there....oooh, i bet Richard told him about you! :yes:

12. Disneybumble

Disneybumble The Secret is in the Sauce.

Yay trip report time. Nothing l like more than a camp air steward reminds me of "the high life and Air Scotia.

13. sunsetlakes

sunsetlakes Earning my ears

Sounds fantastic - great photo's, thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

14. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

ooohhhh a trip report! Just what I need right now!! More please!

15. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

Tuesday 20th: Quick breakfast in room after another comfortable night, the beds are sooo comfy thank god. We decided to hit the beach today, the white sand and turquoise sea were just so inviting. We sat and watched these *lumps* in the water... looked like dead bodies floating so just before we screamed in horror we saw they were huge turtles! there were about 10 of them all floating and bobbing up and down in the sea, they swim alongside you and the notices in the Hotel tell you not to pull them down as they can drown, they have to be able to come up for air. So we swim and don't touch, the sea was actually cooler than the pool, but still warm. Turtles come and lay their eggs on the beach so when there is a nest security put sticks around the nest and tape it off so you don't accidentally tread there, Barbados do alot to look after the turtles and there are lots of signs telling you what to do if you come upon a nest and who to contact so it can be logged. We find some shells and coral on the beach and they will go into our souvenir boxes once back home. DD decides to have a go on a jet ski so dons a vest and is taken around some of the island on it, she loved it and got to see some of the posher Hotels and how the other half live lol, also her teeth were abit loose after that trip lol. We just mainly relaxed and swam while listening to a steel band, it was wonderful.

[​IMG]

We had afternoon High Tea and then went browsing across the road where they have some shops called The Chattel House Village, these shops are based on the old slave houses, obviously they weren't as colourful as these ones are.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We have an older couple above us and for some reason they don't walk across their floor they *stomp* so we nicknamed them *The Heffalumps* lol. Honest to god I don't know what they do up there but we can hear beds being moved and chairs being moved and these walls are thick! (NB, when they left the new couple were as quiet as mice) We couldn't work out what they were doing! it started as soon as they got up at around 7am and didn't stop til they left their room to go to the pool. SHE was as thin as a rake, I've seen more meat on an empty kebab stick, and He wasn't a heavyweight either... very strange?
    When having the High Tea we could see the birds knew what time it was too and one bird only had the one leg so he/she always got a bit of cake from us. We also found a cafe across the road called Happy Days and Mick the proprietor is from London and his wife is Bajan, they were friendly and we had some good chats and some good food there, his steak was out of this world. We later went for a stroll up at The Gap as it's called for short for St Lawrence Gap, it's the happening place in Barbados and just up the road from our Hotel. More to come...

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  16. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Oh goodness, I used to have an upstairs neighbor that weighed maybe 100 pounds soaking wet. She made so much noise!! You would have thought elephants lived above me.

17. *Bambi-Belle*

*Bambi-Belle* Imagineer

sounds and looks like luxury Helen. xxxxxxx

18. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

Swimming with turtles and the Big B. Now I'm totally jealous.

19. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

I haven't got to the good part yet... DD and her boyfriend..... he's called almost every day since we got back!

20. mumof2

Helly, the photos are wonderful - i so wish i was there! i'd love to see the turtles :yes: