1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Basin DTD

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World' started by Deafjeff, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I had an English friend once comment that the "Tea" at GF was as much an English experience as the food at the American pavilion was fine dining and representative of the United States. Point taken.

There is nothing wrong with the offerings at Gf if they are to your liking, but do not go expecting a high quality experience or even one that is very authentic.

WDW is for fun, not so much for being genuine, eh? The magic encompasses the tromp l'oeil they pull off with almost everything they have to offer.

Same as 'Ohana. There isn't a thing Hawaiian or Polynesian about it. Do people love it? Of course they do. Do some dislike it? Yep.

That's the true magic of Disney. There really is something for everyone. If you don't like one thing, carry on. There will be something else that pleases you thoroughly.

2. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

I totally agree with the idea that Mizner's is one of the nicest lounges on property.

As for the GF Tea, we have done it both with and without grandchildren and we did enjoy it. That said, we intended to do a proper British Tea when we were in London but that never happened. :( However, I'm sure that the one at the GF is nothing like a real one.

3. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

:lol: :lol: you don't want to try them then :lol:

Seriously though, there are good and bad scones over here as well, some are very dry :yes: I make them and there are certain shops where I would by them, but I have had some really horrible ones, I also prefer sultana scones to the plain ones.

I could always bring some over if you want to try them :wink: I wonder if I'd get away with bringing real clotted cream as well :unsure:

4. Wendy

The closest you got was having a cream tea in that horrible hotel room :yes:

5. Tink

You can buy imported clotted cream here, Wendy. :D :D I sure do looooooove scones. :D :D :D :D

6. Wendy

Really, I don't think I've ever seen it in Publix, but then that's not the sort of thing I would be looking for :) Chris has often said he fancies strawberries and cream, but I've always said it will be only whipped and so he doesn't bother. I know what he'll be having this year :lol: strawberries, Publix ice cream and clotted cream with chocolate grated over the top :D

I love scones, not the plain ones though, either sultana or cheese :)

Do you and Herself make your own :unsure:

7. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

The best afternoon tea that we had was at The Ritz.

It was remarkable experience!

Base on feedback here, we may give the tea at GF a miss :sorry:

8. Tink

Good decision Jeff. :yes:

You'll not find the cream in Publix, but in Fresh Market or Whole Foods. :yes: Yes, we make our own scones. I favor the plain, or with a touch of currant. I love currants. :D I really like them with Irish butter and the clotted cream. Sometimes I like just a touch of a sour cherry jam Herself finds for me. :D :D