1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Be careful using third party websites to book flights

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by keith, Aug 9, 2008.

1. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/ryanair-travellers-may-lose-bookings-1449260.html

Ryanair travellers may lose bookings "TENS of thousands of intending Ryanair passengers could find their bookings cancelled over the coming days.

The airline yesterday said it would annul all bookings made through third party websites. In a move described as "totally unreasonable" by the Consumers' Association, Ryanair boss Michael O'Leary said the new policy would apply to anyone travelling after next Monday. "

"Ryanair will give refunds to all of the websites involved, Mr O'Leary said, but passing on those refunds to intending passengers would be a matter for the websites. "

The hardline stance affects anyone who booked their Ryanair flights through websites like lastminute.com, v-tours, tui and Opodo.

2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Just been reading some more about this.

It seems as though there's a bit of a battle between the airlines and the websites that are booking through them. The airlines have fallen out with some of them because they feel they're missing out on the lucrative extras such as travel insurance that are offered to customers when they book straight on the airlines website.

Ryan air, easyjet have both been complaining about this. I think for the moment, I'd want to be booking flights directly on the airlines website to be absolutely sure the booking is honoured

3. Debbie2

Debbie2 Speedy!

Glad I bought my Ryanair flights to Latvia next Friday directly through their website.

4. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I've had problems using third party websites here too. I've learned the hard way to go directly to the airlines. I may use a third party site to compare prices between several airlines, but that's about it.

Also, some of the least expensive airlines don't work with third party websites here.

One thing I did run into on my last flight was that I booked through United Airlines, but ended up on US Airways. What a pain in the neck to do anything with those tickets! :(
    I had to call United, but what they "set" for me didn't hold with US Air. Made me crazy. So, another lesson learned. Watch when booking to see which airlines is actually providing the service. If it's different than the one you are booking through, stop the booking and go directly to the airlines that would be providing the service! :yes:

Traveling used to be fun. :sigh;