1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Be Our Guest Restaurant at the New Fantasyland in the Magic Kingdom to Serve Alcohol

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World News & Rumors' started by Wendy, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

When the Be Our Guest Restaurant opens on the 19th November, diners will be able to purchase select wines and beers. This will only be available at the Table Service Dinner and not at the Counter Service Lunch.
  2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

oh my gosh! if this were April I'd be thinking it was an april fools prank!

All I can say is a huge HURRAH!!!! *Finally* a glass of wine with dinner at the Magic Kingdom. Couldn't have come soon enough!

YAY!
  3. Wendy

I had a feeling you'd be the first to see this :lol:

I can see this is going to be controversial decision by Disney as there are a lot of people that wanted the Magic Kingdom to remain alcohol free. I can't see a problem with it at restaurants, I wouldn't like to see beer available at carts or counter service though.
  4. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

I notice they do dessert wine, I love dessert wine :tongue:
  5. keith

oh yes :D very pleased

It's going to be interesting that's for sure.

I'd have no problem with alcohol being available at carts/counter service either but fine, a nice civilised dinner service is as good a place as any to start.

The notion of keeping MK alcohol free is a remnant from a bygone era. Very prescribed notions of what a family was and how they should behave. Time has moved on and I hope this is the first sign that MK is catching up.
  6. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Donna and I are eating there on our February birthday trip. It will be great to have a glass of French wine with our French meal.
  7. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I disagree. MK should stay alcohol free. There are plenty of people who go to the parks and do not know how to drink and behave. Just look at Epcot.
  8. keith

I truthfully have never seen any alcohol problems in EPCOT, not even at new years last year.

There are of course people who don't know how to behave, but they don't need alcohol to behave badly (usually they just need a stroller)
  9. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

I'm a traditionalist - no alcohol in MK for me. :nono:
  10. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

We are pleased to see MK offer wine with meals. It's been a long time coming and I don't think that's what Walt meant when he didn't offer alcohol at stands and kiosks and counter service.

Not for me to guess or second guess Walt, just happy to know it's now available with meals. If it only took alcohol to make people behave badly, the world would be much easier to control.

Keith, I too have seen no problems with alcohol at EPCOT or AK or DHS. :shrug:
  11. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

12. Shellyamc

Shellyamc Serious Forum Regular

I honestly don't have an opinion one way or the other. I don't think I would like to see beer carts all over the place though...

I do have to say that we saw some craziness at EPCOT on this last trip. It was October and so the F&W festival was going on. We saw a few groups of people that we VERY loud and fairly out of control and just when we thought we had avoided them we saw a man stumbling around swearing to himself with about 6 empty beer mugs in his hands. I was a little surprised and it did a little bit of damage to the "Disney magic" feeling for us :yes:
  13. keith

I always try and err on the side of not denying something if I can.

I'd prefer no strollers allowed in parks :lol: but I realise that's daft and would impact hugely on others so that's fine, I'll live with the broken shins.

Live and let live and all that.

If people are causing problems to other people whether through alcohol or just general idiocy, they should be spoken to and ultimately removed from the park. Period.

That shouldn't stop the vast majority of sensible people having a glass of wine with dinner though
  14. Shellyamc

Shellyamc Serious Forum Regular

I agree. :yes: I honestly don't have much of an opinion since I don't drink that much. I used to have a few drinks here and there, but after having 3 kids and having to stay away from it for so long, I can't handle much. I don't see why serving alcohol in a restaurant would ever be a problem, but I would like to a avoid a situation where masses of people are walking around the MK with alcohol in their hand :unsure:
  15. Sam

Sam Imagineer

Alcohol with a meal seems reasonable, but I would prefer personally not to see it on beer carts round the park. For me, Epcot seems the grown up park so I can see alcohol fitting in there, but MK is more about children and so I don't think there is a place for beer.

To be honest I'm not really bothered either way as long as it doesn't affect the whole magic.
  16. keith

I suppose I'm always amazed that people see someone with a glass of beer or wine as being a GASP! moment

I've no problem with people buying a beer or a wine wherever they want to right up until they impact someone elses day and then, whether alcohol induced or just bad temper induced ;-) there's a problem.
  17. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

I remember being in Epcot one afternoon outside the American Adventure pavilion and a very drunk young American male suddenly became convinced I was a cast member and begged me to let him know where to get a turkey leg from. After much trying to give him directions and him failing to remember them I took him by the arm and walked him to the turkey leg stand where I handed him over to the bemused cast member there. :laugh:
  18. Wendy

The Magic Kingdom is the park that is more for children and I honestly don't think Disney will start selling beer or wine at the carts.

I think it's about time they allowed adults to drink in the restaurants, but I do think that should be restricted to the Table Service Restaurants only :sorry:

We've been in Epcot and seen a large group of young men very drunk and very loud - it was during the F&WF. I have nothing against people getting drunk if that rocks their boat but I don't like seeing it when there are children around especially if they are swearing :nono: I obviously had a look of disgust on my face because a cast member saw me shaking my head and said we call it the Food and Drunk Festival for that very reason :shrug:
  19. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

See? For all the times I've been, I've had none of those sorts of experiences. I know during FWF there is an unfortunate "drink around the world" thing that some do, but that's to Disney to prevent obnoxious drunkeness. If only they could do something about obnoxious parents, too eh? :D :D
  20. Wendy

:yes: that would be very good :D oh oh and the people on a stroller crusade :lol: