1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Be Our Guest thumbs down

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by Isafari, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

We had an ADR for dinner at.Be Our Guest yesterday although it wasn't necessary as the wait time for walk ins was only 10 minutes and there were plenty of empty tables inside. I had been looking forward to this for ages.

We boy decided on the potato and leek soup which was pretty tasty although the smallest serving of soup we've ever had. A thumbs up.

I chose the chicken dish and hubby chose the pork disk. The sauce that the chicken came in was disgusting with a strong fish smell and taste. I couldn't eat it at all. I ate the Luke warm potatoes that came with it. The pork was pink. One hubby can eat a fairly rare beef steak but he couldn't eat rare pork! And of course we stupidly couldn't bring ourselves to complain which is our own fault. We just expect chicken and pork to always be cooked well.

Waitress didn't even ask why we had left our meals. We decided enough was enough and opted out of dessert.

Eighty dollars for a tiny bowl of soup was an expensive mistake but at least we tried the restaurant. I know others have eaten here and enjoyed it. This was just our experience.
  2. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

I`m very sorry to hear about your bad experience at BOG Diane. :sorry:

My DW and I had dinner there on our recent trip and it was heaving. Several folks arrived at the podium expecting to just walk in while we were waiting to check in for our ADR and all of them were turned away.
    Our experience was just the opposite to yours, although in my case I ordered the steak which I really enjoyed.

It did help though to be served by a CM who we requested on recommendation via Ricardo and she took really good care of us.
  3. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Loved it there I must admit and hoping to go back in December!

Must admit though, I always find that US restaurants default to cooking meats less well than I would like. I ALWAYS have to ask for a better done piece at liberty tree tavern etc (which they always bring)
  4. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

We will be eating there again in December. Now I am one of those that likes my steaks rare to medium-rare and I don't mind a bit of pink in my pork but if you order your steak or pork and you tell them you want it medium well or well done then by gosh it better come out that way or it is going back. I have never hesitated to send an overcooked piece of meat back and I certainly would not hesitate to send an undercooked piece back.
  5. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

Which server do we want to be asking for then? ;)
  6. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

Shame, I had the pork and it was slightly pink but I like that but if I hadn't I would have sent it back. Our server was lovely too
  7. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

definitely! it should be done as requested and if not, it goes back.

It's something I do always tell my UK friends when they go to Orlando, default will be a little pink in the middle so if you don't want that, you need to be asking for medium-well or well (not just leaving them to decide or hoping medium wont have any pink)

I mentioned the liberty tree before, I was staggered when we first got a plate of beef I think it was from there and it was *REALLY* pink/red. We both sat there wondering if someone had asked for what we would consider rare, but looking around, everyone was getting similar. A quick word with the server and they came right back with what they called well done and I called UK medium or medium-well at best ;-)
  8. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Kimberley is the one that we were told to ask for. :yes:
  9. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

Thanks, I'll remember that :)
  10. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Serious Forum Regular

You shouldn't eat undercooked pork it can make you seriously ill. Never pink.
  11. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

In the US pork is usually left a bit pink. You can get it more so if you request it. Some of the better restaurants will ask you how you want it cooked, depending upon the type of pork you are ordering. I cook my pork tenderloin to medium, with carry over heat it's served juicy and with a touch of pink in the middle.
  12. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

Ugh, sorry to hear you had such a bad experience, Issy. And I'm shocked there were tables! Wow.

Do you think you'll give it a second chance eventually?
  13. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

That used to be the case as pigs were seen to be dirty and carry some disease trichonomas or something like that, but now it isn't seen as a risk. I don't think I'd like it as rare as I have my beef though
  14. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Wow, very unusual, it doesn't matter where you read, it says that there are no walk ups at Be Our Guest, it must have been a rare occasion :unsure:

I like my pork to be slightly pink, it makes is more tender and tastes better :yes: You should have asked your server to return it to the kitchen, at least it would have given them the opportunity of correcting it for you.

I guess it's a good job we all like different things :yes:
  15. Shellyamc

Shellyamc Serious Forum Regular

I would be curious to see how they would handle someone complaining about the food.

I don't mind if something isn't quite how I like it, or if a mistake is made - it is how the fix the situation that is the mark of a good restaurant for me :yes:
  16. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Oh definitely I agree with you Shelly, but sadly they weren't given the opportunity to fix it :( We have found with other Disney restaurants that if something is not quite right the server is happy to take it back to the kitchen and they have always been very apologetic and normally there is a discount of some sort or even a free dessert.

We had the chef come out to us at Artist Point because my steak was rare even though I asked for it to be medium to well, I was really embarrassed, but he told the server to take away Chris' meal as well so that we could dine together. I'd not hesitate to go back there.
  17. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Chefs tend to undercook the meat because it is easier to correct than if the meat is done.

At LTT for dinner, the beef that comes out is always very pink. Same with the carving stations at various restaurants. The prime rib is usually rare but you can ask for a more well done piece.
  18. Johnie

Oh! I meant to say there have been tons of openings for BOG this month so walk ins are probably easier to get
  19. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Where are you seeing these Johnie? :unsure:

My DW and I are going to be there the night of 9/14 and I've been checking repeatedly with no luck. We're popping over to WDW on the 14th after getting off our cruise. My DW wanted to see the new Fantasyland. Right now, I've got an ADR for Boatwright's at the hotel but I've been checking to see if any openings at BOG would open up.
    So far, no luck. :sigh:

Let me in on your secret.

Tom :)macwave:... but at least we'll get to see Yehaa Bob!)
  20. Johnie

I'm hearing it regarding July. Not any other time.