1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

best binoculars to get started ?

Discussion in 'Astronomy & Astrophotography' started by goofygal, Mar 5, 2009.

1. goofygal

goofygal Imagineer

I know I've just asked about saving for disney but I need cheering up

What type of binoculars could I buy to star or planet gaze? I want to get something good enough so that I dont need to buy a telescope for awhile also I was thinking I could take the binoculars to other places so would get more use out of them :wiggle:
  2. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

apparently every once in a while lidl have some for 9.99 - skywatcher was going to tell me when he saw them next. Apparently you don't have to spend a lot of money
  3. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

I have a pair of cheap Bresser 10x50 bins from Lidls - they usually retail for around £30 - there let you see bright galaxy cores and nebulae as feint milky smudges and let you see some moon detail and the planets as tiny discs - if you want to see more detail on the moon or the planets you would need a telescope but bins are fantastic for their portability and ability to quickly scan the night sky - mine go everywhere with me
  4. Skywatcher

yep still checking lidls and none around recently - they had them in NI a couple of weeks back but that would have cost a bit to go and get them ;)
  5. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

got some today! am just about to go out- what should i look for?
  6. Skywatcher

Look for the nebula under orions belt its a feint smudge but you can definitely see its 'smokey' and not a star - looks really good if there is no light pollution