1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Best meal and worst meal

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by Dawn, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

What's the best Disney meal you've ever had and what's the worst Disney meal you've ever had.

My best is the Hollywood Brown Derby - a pasta and scallop dish followed by grapefruit cake. It was close to perfection.

Worst - Sci-Fi Diner - badly cooked pasta and so dark I couldn't see what I was eating.

I'd love to try some of the more upscale resort restaurants but I'm married to a fussy eater so if anyone wants to volunteer to take me on a dining trip... :D

2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

would you believe, WORST was brown derby for us! we've had very variable meals there and one day DW received a chicken that was cold, not just tepid but actually cold, and I had some crab that made me feel ill almost immediately :/

They were really relunctant to fix the cold chicken too

Should say that on other occasions we've had a lovely meal there but :/

Argh so very hard.

Well Victoria & Albert is just WONDERFUL each and every time... We once got to the California grill just before the fireworks and said we'd wait for a window table. Well they called us up almost immediately and we got a PERFECT table by the window, champagne in the cooler.Oh the food was really good too :)

3. AKLnut

AKLnut Imagineer

best: akl jiko - quiet, brilliant meal and brilliant servers
    worst: mama melrose - bad food, busy servers

4. Mags

Mags Serious Forum Regular

Right Dawn, I know you and I are one on this - Akershus was my favourite before the advent of the dreaded princesses. The hot buffet was fantastic - venison, salmon, beef and all sorts and a great cold buffet too. The desserts were delicious (now a slop). it was quiet and civilised and a wonderful place to eat. Now it is a manic madhouse to be avoided at all costs and the food has gone to pot.
    After that rant (I need to do this at times :lol: ), Kona was probably our best and Beaches and Cream our worst (totally disgusting). Mama Melrose is right up there along with Beaches and Cream. :shocked025:

Margaret

5. luvthemouse

luvthemouse My nickname is DANGER

Best? Hmmm....that's tough! V&A was just incredible, but not something we can afford to do every trip. So for a regular meal...has to be California Grill..

Worst...simply for value, was San Angel at Epcot. But running a very close second, is Coral Reef... I was sick to my stomach very quickly after eating there. PLUS I couldn't enjoy the Food and Wine Festival much later that evening!

6. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Worst meal was Garden Grill only because I had to run to the bathroom very shortly thereafter.....

Best meal was 'Ohana before the menu change....

7. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

The best....Le Cellier
    We both had the Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup, followed by the filet mignon, I finished with the Warm Spiced Apple Crumble and DH had the Creme Brulee.
    They cooked the beef to perfection for both of us. DH had his medium to well done and I had mine cremated. Melted in the mouth.

The worst....Coral Reef
    I booked an ADR because I had arranged for a diver for DH for our wedding anniversary....this was all perfect.
    However, after a long wait, we ordered our meal. After a long wait, our meal arrived. I had asked for my pork to be very well done and asked specifically for there to be NO blood what so ever.....also for a plain piece of pork with no sauce. When the plate was put in front of me I was really put off by the blood running from under my meat. I cut a piece off the meat to check inside and it practically grunted at me.
    I very politely asked the waiter if they could change the pork and explained why. About 15 minutes later, my plate comes back with a fresh piece of pork...covered in the sauce.
    I explained about the sauce and my plate was taken away again. When my meal came back....they brought the original piece of pork that I had cut into earlier but it had been cooked more.
    This made me wonder where they had got my piece of pork from as it was a fresh piece on the plate before it. I had visions of it being rescued from disposal somewhere and it just put me off.
    I know....I'm fussy

8. Dawn

Ooooh Mags I've just realised who you are. :oops:

I loved the proper Akershus buffet. Stupid princesses took my norwegian bread. :mad:

9. BUTTERHEAD1

BUTTERHEAD1 Addicted to Mickey

Best- Yachtsman Steakhouse,we have eaten there 3 times now and each times it seems to have gotten better.
    Worst= tie between Mama Melrose and Boatwrights. Mamma Melrose the service was horrendous and the pasta was cold and undercooked. Mamma Melrose the food was just plain bad. However I have read good things about Mama Melrose lately and I want to give it a second chance.

10. keith

Just wanted to say WELCOME to Disney Secrets :D

We had a poor experience of Boatwrights too I'm afraid

11. BUTTERHEAD1

BUTTERHEAD1 Addicted to Mickey

Thanks for the welcome Keith, This site looks great.

12. keith

Thanks! Great to see you here :yes:

13. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

Never had a really bad experience (or maybe I'm just easily pleased :lol:) but I didn't enjoy my meal at Boatrights - there was nothing wrong with it I just didn't like the taste and we had a bit of a scatty server, very friendly, nice girl but very disorganised. I also didn't like what I had at Le Cellier, the only meat I eat is chicken and the chicken dish was so rich with not enough potatoes or veggies to balance out the taste. DH enjoyed both of these restaurants though.

The worst service we have ever had was in The Rose and Crown in 1996 by an English girl :rolleyes008: it was bad enough that we have never been in there since, although I am toying with the idea of giving it another go next year.:p015:

Ooh best meals - definitely Citricos and I also love Boma (breakfast and dinner) and 50's Prime Time Diner :D

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  14. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Best meal, hands down would have to be any that I have had at Victoria and Albert's.

Worst would probably be one I had at Narcoosee's. It was a trout dish and I just did not care for it.

15. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

Best: Yachtsman's Steakhouse. Very picky eater of plain food. They nailed it! Perfectly prepared and nicely served. :thumbs_up:

Worst: Off the top of my head, probably H&V. Not horrendously bad, just not nearly as good as most of the other venues.

Cape May also was less than stellar. I love fish, but am allergic to shellfish. There was a lot of shellfish on the menu, but little of anything else. They also didn't replenish the buffet regularly--and they were busy! Or at least the non-shellfish items. :(

16. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Hmmmmm, this is a tough one. We've had many wonderful meals with WDW! And you all KNOW how impossible it is for me to choose just one favorite! :eek:

So, to that end, the best: The old French Cafe before they enclosed it (remember the open air seating). Divine. Jiko with Annette Grecchi Gray as Executive Chef (she's gone now :( ) Yachtsmans Steakhouse (but not everytime) and as a standard always (but for one time) delivers a great meal, Cape May Dinner Buffet. :yes: Boma was so very delicious when it first opened, and it is still nice, but it's changed enough to where it's no longer the huge draw to us that it once was.

Worse? Narcoosee's right off the bat. Closely followed by Alfredo's in Italy. Am VERY happy to see that place gone. Coral Reef, poorly cooked food and the nastiest bread I've ever eaten! BlueZoo when it first opened, and Spoodle's (a couple of years ago), oh and Capn' Jacks (the WORST mush for pasta. Inedible). ICK!

At least those are the ones I can think of right now!

It's the changing times that affect the decsions. We had a glorious meal at Marrakesh years ago (1996 to be exact, Spring Break) with wonderful service. The menu changed, and the service has never been that good since. We have had great meals in the past at Norway (nicely covered by Maggs) and Germany, but no more. :sigh; Have had some lovely times in Rose and Crown too. :yes:

It all really is down to what you like, and Disney surely does give you quite a choice!

17. Mags

Mags Serious Forum Regular

Doh! How did you not know? :p015: Right I have a plan to sort the princesses out. It involves the two of us and a basket of rosy red apples. No princesses will be hurt but they might sleep longer than 8 hours. Are you in? :yes:

Maragret

18. Dawn

I'm in. If we can just get them to sleep through lunch that would do. I just want one proper smorgasboard meal without princess interference. Is it too much to ask?

19. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

Best: Artist Point, it was our wedding anniversary and all the little things they did for us to make it special made it the best meal ever - and the food was wonderful too :lol:

Worst: the Chinese table service at Epcot.....I don't even want to remember the name of it. It was really awful! Terrible service too.

20. Disneybumble

Disneybumble The Secret is in the Sauce.

Trust me to do this
    Best 50's Prime Time Diner in 2003 and 1992 and 1990
    Worst 50's Prime time Diner in 2006. The food was yuck and the service real bad.