1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Best Orlando beach?

Discussion in 'Shopping & Other Activities' started by cosmicray, Mar 28, 2010.

1. cosmicray

cosmicray Earning my ears

Hiya we'd like to go to a beach for a couple of days while we're on holiday in disneyworld. What would be the best nicest beach to go to? it would be good if it wasnt too far or hard to get to :thumbsup:

2. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

I only have experience near Tampa, but I love Honeymoon Island. It's on a preserve so it's very natural, but I loved it.

3. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

ive only been to cocoa and clearwater beaches, cocoa is great for body boards coz of the waves but i much prefer clearwater on the gulf coast :yes: :D

4. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

I grew up in St. Petersburg on the Gulf coast so I can't comment.

I'm prejudiced! :laugh2:

Tom :)macwave:... wish I were there now!)

5. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

As you see, Orlando is central and has no beaches. :)

Cocoa Beach is the closest beach to WDW, and is on the Atlantic side, so it's the true ocean. The Gulf Beaches are on the west side of the peninsula. They are a bit further to drive, but not terribly so.

Do you want a recreational sort of experience, or do you want a peaceful beach experience?

I'm an ocean person and prefer the Atlantic, so I'll send you there of course! :D

6. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

the gulf coast sand is awseome no matter how hot it gets because its mixed with quartz it doesnt get hot under foot, well it doesnt at clearwater :D

7. Tink

The sand you mean, yes? :unsure:

Not the case all along the gulf. The sand will fry your little tootsies off in some places! :eek: Ft. Myers Beach is a nice spot, but that sand makes you hop along fast if you are barefoot! :lol:

8. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

We have a small beach section right HERE

9. BUTTERHEAD1

BUTTERHEAD1 Addicted to Mickey

I have been to Siesta key a few times and it is one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen. It is about an hour and a half drive from WDW in Sarasota. It is a gulf beach, the sand is like white and soft like baby powder and the water is luke warm.

10. gwennie81

gwennie81 Earning my ears

Daytona Beach. But just because I live here. HA!

11. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

Is there ever a 'quiet' time to visit Daytona Beach?

12. gwennie81

It's pretty quiet most of the year. The "bad" times are Feb-April (race weeks, bike week, and spring break), the 4th of July weekend, and during Biketoberfest in October.

If you decide to stay, I would recommend Tropical Manor or Palm Plaza. My family has stayed at both and both were decent, economical, and directly on the beach.

Beware if you decide to visit. We allow beach driving and unfortunately inattentive drivers and people excited to be in the ocean are a bad combo. Just look both ways before crossing to the ocean and hold onto your children at all times! There are parts of the beach which are restricted from vehicles. I would recommend maybe visiting these sections if you have small children. You can probably view a map of the beach on the Daytona Visitor and convention website.

The part of the beach I visit is actually all the way down at the end of Ponce Inlet. It's about 7 miles south of Dunlawton. You go through Ponce Inlet and take a left on Beach St. and you're on the beach! It's quieter down there, the waves are a little higher, you can walk out on the Jetty, visit the lighthouse, watch the surfers, and there are a few restaurants (within driving distance). If you continue on through the county park, there is a dog friendly beach that my friends take their dogs to. The Jetty/Ponce Inlet beach is also a good viewing point for shuttle launches!

13. Tink

Know this too, about driving on the beach. It wreaks havoc on the underside of your car! :eek: Sand and car joints are not good friends!

There are any number of reports about people being run over too. :eek:

14. gwennie81

#1, If you're driving a rental car, who cares?
    #2, If you're driving your own car, I just hose off the underneath of the Jeep when I get home.
    #3, It's really rare that anyone gets run over on the beach. Yes, we did have a tragedy a couple weeks ago, but it was the first actual fatality since like, 1992.
    #4, Lay out either directly in front or in back of your car, not to the side. When you set up on the side of your car, anyone pulling in will NOT be able to see you.
    #5, Just be aware. Be aware of where your kids are. Be aware when you cross from your beach chair to the ocean. Be aware when you are driving on the beach.
    #6, There are areas of the beach that are restricted from cars. Go down to Wilbur By The Sea (between Daytona Beach Shores and Ponce Inlet) if you don't want to deal with on-beach vehicles.

15. Tink

Oh, I didn't mean run over and killed, I mean simply run over... injured, but survived.

There was just a report on someone who had their legs run over. The sand was what saved them greater injury (depresses)...

It's not so much the washing off of the sand, rather that the sand gets into cv joints, ball joint housings, brake shoes, ect and wears on them.

It's also a mess to vacuum! :eek:

True, if it's a rental it's not something you are going to have to live with, but I'm one of those freaks who prefers to return my rental clean (usually cleaner than when I picked it up). :redface: