1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Best orlando chinese?

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by eeyoreguy, Sep 1, 2008.

1. eeyoreguy

eeyoreguy Earning my ears

Are there any good ones?

2. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

Oooh blimey you've opened a can of worms here. :rofl:

Well I can tell you to avoid any Chinese buffet along 192 unless you fancy risking your digestive health. :eek:

The general consensus is that Orlando is lacking a top notch Chinese restaurant. But people have their favourites.

3. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

No. I can state that unequivocally. PF Chang's isn't too bad, but it's a chain, and I didn't much like the food there. There are some great Thai places. Sea Thai being the best but they are in downtown Orlando, and not convenient to WDW. Sea Thai is east on 50 and a bit tricky to find.

There are some good Vietnamese restaurants in the same downtown (50/Colonial Blvd) location as the Thai restaurants.

4. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

sigh, dont get me started :(

I don't mind pf changs at all although I had a bit of trouble when I asked for a bottle of wine. There were four people trying to open the bottle and when they finally managed it, half the cork was floating in bits in the wine :/ I'd normally demand another bottle but just didnt feel like I wanted to after the hassle so I said ok just pour it, so she did, all over the table :lol:

Back to chinese restaurants... we had a ton of recommendations for a buffet called "china jade" on idrive. Finally got a taxi there and eeek what a dive. Didnt much like the entrance which had a HUGE fish in a tank only just big enough so that he couldnt turn round even :/ (or it looked that way to me, hope Im wrong)

Rows of luke warm food. Very very cheap fair enough, but pretty awful.

There's supposed to be a good one, expensive but I cant remember the name and have never tried it... erm erm erm... Ill post when I remember it <G>

5. Tink

Never, ever for any reason what so ever, go into a Chinese restaurant buffet in the greater Orlando area. Those places have the WORST health department ratings of any restaurants in the entire state. Seriously.

One was cited recently for having roaches crawling up the kitchen walls, hair in the food to be placed on the buffet (so it clearly wasn't customer hair) and FINGER NAILS found in the broccoli.
    DO NOT EVER eat in those places. :nono: *shudder*

6. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Speaking from experience of eating "out in the sticks" in China while on business, some of those items would actually be on the menu Tink! :lol:

7. Tink

EEEEEEEEWWWWWWW Slowhand! :eek: :lol:

8. Slowhand

I was at a business lunch with a few of our customers one day and the "head" of the table hacked into a fish and then rotated the central plate around. Apparently the head of the fish was always presented to a guest of honour, which in my case happened to be me! :shocked025:
    I made a diplomatic response by insisting that my customer was more important than me and rotated the plate back in his direction.
    As a thank you gesture, my host insisted that I had the first choice of the sea slug! :sick007:

9. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

:lol::sick007: and....did you eat it....all

10. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Oddly enough, much as I like PF Chang's I consider it more Asian Fusion than Chinese. We have never done Chinese in the Orlando area and are really quite particular about Chinese food. It took us a long time to find a good one near our house. So I feel safe in saying that based on what I am reading here that Chinese will NOT be part of our diet in the Orlando area. We ate at the Chinese restaurant at WDW once and weren't overly impressed but I must admit I am intrigued by what they are supposed to be converting to.

11. Slowhand

Reluctantly, and with a slurp of wine with every mouthful....I didn`t want to cause a diplomatic incident!
    After a few "slurps" I couldn`t care less what I was eating! :lol: