1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

best place to eat at downtown disney?

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by cosmicray, Oct 17, 2008.

1. cosmicray

cosmicray Earning my ears

I think we'll be eating there a lot because we wont have a car so will be relying on disney transport

are there any really nice restaurants there rather than just fast food?
  2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

There are restaurants there, other than fast food. :yes:

The West Side has House of Blues, Bongo's and three choices from Wolfgang Puck (the Express, the Cafe and the upstairs gourmet).

PI is in flux right now, so the only place that is open as far as I know is Raglan Road (for dining). There is Cooke's of Dublin attached to this pub, as well. It's the outdoor take away.

Portobello Yachtclub is there, but undergoing refurbishment, so not sure what it's status is.

Fulton's Crab House is there. Expensive seafood place.

T-Rex has just opened. It's RFC with dinosaurs. RFC is on the Marketplace end, along with another Puck's Express, The Earl of Sandwich and Captain Jack's.

So, you won't be lacking for places to try.

Plus, you have all the Disney resorts from which to choose. Each has dining options, with moderate resorts and deluxe resorts having full service options.
  3. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

As Tink says, be sure to check the menus for the various WDW resorts and the Boardwalk. Even just going to a food court at a different value resort can make a nice change. The menus vary just a bit between them, although the basics are the same.

Apart from the monorail and EPCOT resorts, taking WDW transportation from one resort to another requires a stop at a park ot DTD and transfer to another resort bus, so it takes a bit more time. But if you plan it into your day and explore the resort, it can be relatively inexpensive fun--apart from the meal and souveniers! ;)
  4. *Bambi-Belle*

*Bambi-Belle* Imagineer

We had a lovely meal at the Wolfgang puck café but the portions were beyond huge. The Calamari starter could have fed us all!!!!! Lol

We do like the rainforest café but the food is your normal standard stuff, the kids do love it though. They can’t wait until we go to the T-Rex café lol.

I have heard good things about the House of Blues and would love to try it one day.
  5. Jodie

Jodie Addicted to Mickey

Earl of Sandwich and Planet Hollywood both get the thumbs up from me and Gavin
  6. BigThunder

BigThunder a cool thingy

We tried Earl of Sandwich this past July when we went & I honestly didn't think I'd like it but it was really really good! I'd like to go back on our next trip but sadly, the kids didn't enjoy it at all.

We all love Rainforest Cafe'. I know some don't think much of it but it's one of those tradition things for us. I love eating & shopping there!
  7. jamielynn2004

jamielynn2004 Earning my ears

:wiggle:I honestly found that Earl of Sandwiches to be my sisters and mine favorite, which is now on the dining plan.
  8. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

I always have the pot roast and mash at the Rainforest Cafe... it has always been very very good... yum.
  9. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

We tried Bongo's for the first time recently. I am a very picky eater so have always just skimmed the menu and said "ick" :lol:

However, I gave it a go and the meal was lovely :yes:

DH had the Coctel de Camarones - Chilled jumbo shrimp served with cocktail sauce. I went for the Masitas de Puerco - Fried pork cubes marinated with garlic sauce served with grilled onions. It was delicious....but way too much for a starter.

Until I check my notes, I can't remember what DH chose for a main course. I went for the Sweet & Sour Chicken - Boneless chicken breast chunks deep fried and served with a sweet and sour sauce on the side, fried rice and sweet plantains. I got them to leave off the rice and plantains and replace with fries!!! :lol: Again, this was delicious but enough for three!
  10. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

They do serve huge portions there don't they, Isafari! :yes: We like their Cubano sandwich (media noche, in particular) and the papas rellenas (stuffed potatoes). They don't serve the sandwiches indoors for dinner though.

Not that we eat them now, but they sure were good when we ate them before! :D
  11. loadsapixiedust

loadsapixiedust Earning my ears

:thumbsup: Yum that's one of my favourite meals. Then the volcano dessert to follow.

We also like to have a nice sarnie at Earl then a little stroll to Ghirardelli's for dessert.

House of Blues is great too.
  12. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

You don't say where you are staying, but I assume on property. No reason to eat all your meals at DTD when there are lovely restaurants at the resorts. You might try Boatwrights at POR, or Spoodles or Flying Fish at Boardwalk, Yachtsman Steakhouse at the Yacht Club or any of several restaurants at the Swan/Dolphin. These are just a few of the places to try and all reachable in one way or another using Disney Transport.