1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Best restaurant for a romantic meal

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by iluvdisney, Jul 10, 2009.

1. iluvdisney

iluvdisney Imagineer

well that says it all really :thumbsup: I need to book a nice restaurant for a quiet romantic meal at Disney. I've found artist point which looks like it may be ok but is there somewhere better?
  2. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Depending on how much you're willing to spend, Victoria and Alberts is the quintessential romantic restaurant on Disney property. My DW and I did it for one of our wedding anniversaries several years back and I've never found better.

Tom :)macwave:... a romantic at heart!)
  3. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

San Angel Inn, Mexican pavilion @ EPCOT.

It may not always be quiet but the atmosphere is awesome!
  4. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

We found Bistro de Paris incredible!!

The food is amazing, the restaurant is quiet, the views of the World Showcase are great :)
  5. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I'm with Mari on this one! :yes: The Bistro is just lovely.

Now, having said that, Artist Point is quite nice too! It can be a bit loud in there though.
  6. Vixynne

Vixynne Earning my ears

Gotta put my two cents in for Vicky & Bert's! It's expensive, but it's one of those meals you will never, ever forget. Worth every last penny in "oooooo"-factor, and a more quiet, romantic, grownup restaurant you'll not find anyplace in WDW (in my somewhat-biased opinion).
  7. Treacle

Treacle Earning my ears

Another vote for V&As or a late meal at the Cali Grill is another one.
  8. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Still another vote here for V&A.
  9. MyMinnie

MyMinnie Earning my ears

Well V&A's is the ultimate but Cali Grill is wonderful too. x
  10. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

completely agree :yes:
  11. luvthemouse

luvthemouse My nickname is DANGER

Yet another V&A fan here! We dined there for our 10th anniversary. This trip, we'll be celebrating our 17th, and dining at California Grill. We dined there a few years ago with some wonderful friends..and loved it!
  12. Tink

We just had a birthday dinner (well, the night before) at California Grill and were terribly disappointed. It was loud, chaotic, odd service, and poor quality food. :( Herself had the ostrich and literally could not eat it, it was that stringy. I had the grouper and it was dried and tasteless. :sigh: The first course was nice, however. :yes: It was the only portion of the meal that was good.

We'll not be rushing back there, nor would we ever call it romantic.

The view of the fireworks was nice, but you can obtain that by simply sitting in the lounge area without worrying about obtaining an ADR.
  13. luvthemouse

luvthemouse My nickname is DANGER

Oh great...maybe we should reconsider our choice...:unsure:
  14. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

It's a hard one really it is

We love the california grill and usually try to dine there twice during visits. There's a buzz around the place especially around fireworks time although as Tink says there's absolutely no necessity to watch the fireworks from your actual table.

The food for us has almost always been good BUT service IS variable and I've felt strongly pushed at times to go for a more expensive wine and so on. I *FEEL* they're very driven to get the most out of the guests.

Sometimes servers can be a little snobby in a "you're lucky to be eating here" kinda way. I remember one small incident when they said "the chef likes to serve this dish a little rarer than usual" I said "thanks but I'd like it well done" and she looked at me as if I'd stumbled in from an idiots convention and repeated that the chef would like to serve the dish rare. I said well if the chef's kindly paying for the meal I'd be happy to try it otherwise ask him to prepare it the way I want it please?

Well we didnt see her again. The rest of the meal was brought by other people and at the end even the dessert options were discussed with another, much more agreeable, server which suited me just fine.

HOWEVER, the food has always been good and we've always enjoyed the atmosphere. We find it a nice place for a romantic meal, assuming I'm not arguing with the server, even though it is a bit too noisy perhaps to really earn that tag.

It's very definitely NOT V&A though in any way shape or form. However, it's also considerably less expensive.
  15. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

Sounds like you were describing our California Grill server there Keith, that was exactly our experience :rolleyes:
  16. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

i had a bad experience in the california grill one christmas day so i haven't been back. I may try again sometime lol
  17. Tink

The server may have tried to be snooty, but it was lost on us, as we were not too pleased with the second course. She did offer to change it for whatever else we may have wanted, but at that point, we didn't want anything else and I think that confused her. Not her fault that the quality of the food and the preparation were suffering.

The dessert was silly... she brought out order and THEN brought out a special complimentary birthday dessert. What point did that serve? It went untouched as we were too full... :shrug: That's what I meant by odd service. She was just a step off... plus (and NOW who is snooty!!!) the caviar was served with a metal spoon. Didn't impress us much, eh? :shrug:

The bartender was great though (when we first arrived we waited at the bar a bit and he was very helpful with wine choices...and it wasn't the priciest on the list)!

So, as Keith says, it is difficult. The location/view is fun, the chaos not so fun (forget about dress code... I don't care what they say, people dress as they please there) and the food less than fun. :shrug:

We'll stick to Bistro or YSH, or Artist Point for our special/romantic meals. :yes: No one on Disney property can compare to the service provided by Ricardo at YSH.
  18. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

wow... that was so rude of her... however, loved your reply!!!! :worship:
  19. piglet

piglet Serious Forum Regular

We can all of us only speak from our experience at each restaurant. Whilst I wouldn't say that Cali Grill was a particularly romantic restaurant, we had a fantastic evening there when we went in 2007. Our server was absolutely brilliant, very helpful. We were sat at a window table and as the sun went down the blinds were pulled up and we had a fantastic view. Food was absolutely great and all in all it was a great experience which we will definitely try to get when we go back next year.