1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Best shop for supplies on way to hotel?

Discussion in 'Shopping & Other Activities' started by Deb, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Deb

Deb Serious Forum Regular

As we have a fridge in our POR room, we intend to buy some basic supplies - water, beer, wine, coffee, snacks, juice, etc. What is the most convenient place to stop for this on the way from Orlando airport to the hotel? Thank you :)
  2. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

I think with price Walmart is the way to go. Publix is a good grocery store but more expensive.
  3. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

The Walmart on Turkey Lake Road is fairly convenient to POR.

There is a Goodings at the Crossroads which is the closest to POR but it is more expensive than the other chains :yes:

Can I just say that we did extensive research on supermarkets this last trip :lol: and Target was our favourite - most like Tesco, even do Cherokee clothing :D
  4. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I am a huge Publix fan, but Deb you MUST try the new Whole Foods Market at Sand Lake and Turkey Lake. It's at the intersection just prior (as you head to WDW) to the new Walmart (I refuse to eat there food :sorry: ).

It's chock full of lovely things, including a decent wine selection, cheeses, imported hams (prosciutto to die for) lovely organic fruits and vegetables, etc.

Do try it!

Other than that, I'll direct you to the Publix behind the Premium Outlet mall. It's the closest to WDW, and has a nice selection of food, albeit not quite as exotic as Whole Foods.

I refuse to shop at Goodings as it is obscenely overpriced. I don't know how the owners can sleep at night, plus the food quality is poor!

So that's my 2 cents. :D
  5. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

Whole Foods Market is fantastic! We had lunch there one day :yes: It's quite a destination though, you need to have time for a good browse (and buy!) :lol:
  6. Deb

Oooo, Tink, I just had a look at the Whole Foods website and it looks fab! :thumbsup: I always love to go to great food shops in other countries and see what the differences and similarities to us! I think that Lisa is right though....I could be in there for hours!! :yes: If I go there on the first night we won't get to bed till midnight! :D

So, I think that on the night we arrive (Thursday) we'll pop into Publix (if it's easy to get to from the airport) and get some minimal essentials. Then, as it's MLK weekend, we intend to spend the first Saturday shopping, so I think we may have a mooch around WF before hitting the other types of shops (maybe we could have coffee and a light breakfast there?), and stock up on our things for the rest of the week. We want to get a couple of Canadian and Oregon wines to try as we have both had them before but find them quite hard to get over here, and the WF wine selection looks interesting :yes:
  7. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Yes, the closest Publix to WDW is directly behind Premium Outlets (on the left as you are headed toward WDW). From I4 west (technically, but a compass will show you south!) take the DTD exit and at the end of the ramp, take a LEFT. Pass under the I4 overhead and follow the road a very short distance to a LEFT on Vine (at Bahama Breeze, Golden Corral). Follow the signs for Mary, Queen of the Universe Shrine.

Follow the road along passing in front of the outlets, where the road will bend to the right. Publix will be along the road on the LEFT. :yes: Not far from WDW at all.
  8. Deb

Thanks Tink :hug2: I've copied those directions into my planning file :thumbsup: