1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Question best time of year to go to Disney World?

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World' started by disneymom, Nov 12, 2013.

1. disneymom

disneymom Imagineer

back again and planning mode :)

Last time we went in Summer and it was madness, huge queues, this time we'd like to go sometime much quieter? Would December be a good time?
  2. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

the first 2 weeks of December is my favourite time to go, it's usually pretty quiet during the week - we found it a bit busier at weekends especially around the festive things like the christmas lights in Hollywood Studios. The weather is much better for me to be able to enjoy the parks for longer, i can't take too much walking around in the heat. Last year it was very pleasant, tshirt and shorts in the day and sweater at night during fireworks etc. We had a couple of cloudy days when the temperature did drop and it isn't the warmest time for swimming but i guess that's a personal thing. This is traditionally one of the cheapest times to go too.
    Watchinherskip likes this.
  3. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

I'll second Britchick's advice. However, it has almost gotten to the point where there is no quiet time any longer.
  4. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Anytime from October through the first two weeks in December (with the exception of Thanksgiving week) is my personal favorite time to go. The humidity has lessened, and there are all the special events (depending upon the time you choose).

There are slow times, they are just not as predictable as they once were. You kind of have to "get lucky" any more. :)
  5. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

We usually go mid September and the price seems to be reasonable and the weather is quite nice too. Not too hot or cold.

Not done December yet but would love to do this!
  6. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Serious Forum Regular

Well I LOVE the Halloween time to go.... the decs are just gorgeous. I've done Christmas and glad I've done it but will not do it again, the queues for everything took the joy out of it, it was madness, even shopping malls were full to bursting and the parking was horrendous.
  7. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Late September/early October is the time we like to go, although I am tempted to go at the end of October early November to include the Halloween and December parties and decorations.
    Tink likes this.
  8. Suebeattie

Suebeattie Addicted to Mickey

This is what I'm thinking for our next visit.
  9. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

I would like to visit during October.

I've been during mid-Dec and it was crazy. Also been during the summer…again crazy. Also been during May, the early part, and it was nice. Starting to get warm though.
  10. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

My most recent trip was in October and I loved it. Not nearly as hot as my July trip and not as cool as my usual Jan/Feb slot.

I didn't visit WDW (the trip was mainly villa-hunting) but I did take an evening out to see Halloween Horror Nights at Universal - boy, was that awesome!
  11. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

This will be our first visit during January. [We actually will be at WDW for Dec 25th-28th before our cruise, but we return to Orlando from Jan 4th-15th].
    So what`s January like?...busy, cold etc.etc.....I assume that it could be a tad chilly at night so I`ll take at least one sweater with me.
  12. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Terry, the one time we went in January was to celebrate Donna's birthday. It actually got quite cold, even during the day. I don't know if that is the norm or not.
  13. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

It can get cold in January Terry, I'd take more than one sweater and expect to wear long trousers during the day.
  14. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

Recently, it's been cool in January. 2009 was the only really 'cold' year I've been there - I actually wanted a hat!

The best bit for me is that the crowd levels are super super low and the humidity is also low. It's a great time to catch all those attractions you'd normally have to queue for hours to get on.

It's still one of my favourite slots. If March crowds are higher than I'd like, I'd switch back to January/February in a heartbeat.
    Slowhand likes this.
  15. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Serious Forum Regular

OMG That's exactly why I like to go at that time of year... it' IS awesome I love it!
    Tony G likes this.