1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Best time of year to go?

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World' started by disney1sttimer, Mar 13, 2009.

1. disney1sttimer

disney1sttimer Earning my ears

Hi

We're trying to book a family trip to Disney and are confused with the parties and things. Its not like we go every few months so we dont want to miss out

Which is better though the christmas or halloween parties? what about that wine festival?

Any advice from people whove been would be great :hug2:

2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

OH gosh, this is going to be quite a thread! :D :D

Of course, it totally depends upon your personal preference and what you most like to do.

We LOVE October and the Food and Wine Festival. :yes: It's a festive time of year and it's one of our favorite things to do; walk around the World Showcase of EPCOT and sample anything that appeals to us. There are cooking demonstrations, some with and without tasting and then several special ticketed (meaning you need to purchase a ticket in addition to your park admission) events that feature high profile chefs, and the like. The Party for the Senses is very well attended (although we didn't really care for it).

There are Eat to the Beat Concerts each day in the American pavilion's open air theatre, and they are great fun too.

Christmas is incredible. If you go before Christmas week, you won't be so overwhelmed by the crowds. The week of Christmas to New Year's Day is absolutely jam packed with people and the parks (particularly MK) are known to close to additional guests because of reaching capacity.

The decorations are incredible, and the special events are very festive (some of which you'll pay an additional price for like Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party and some of which you won't like the Candle Light Processional and the Holidays Around the World).

It's the most expensive time to go to, as the resort rates are at their highest and WDW increases the cost of their full service meals, especially their buffets.

Halloween parties coincide with the FWF if you time things correctly. I've not been to them, so can't say much but I do know loads of folks love the Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party. :yes:

It's a tough choice! Pick what seems the most appealing to you! :yes:

3. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Peace, Love and Mickey Mouse

We've been at a time to do of these in the same trip. It's an excellent time to go, but obviously gets very busy. The Food and Wine festival is extremely interesting and MNSSHP is great fun!
    Perhaps if you read up about each event that would help you to decide. :thumbsup:

4. Tink

The weather in October can be nicer than in December, as well. :yes: Sometimes, December ends up being miserable and rainy, and October is usually (as in not always :D ) pleasant-warm with low humidity. :yes:

5. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

We go end of november/beginning of december time, i absolutely love all the christmassy things going on, i dont think i could go any other time of year now - its soooo beautiful!

6. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I really do agree with this although it's got a lot more busy in recent years

Having said that, I think the halloween party is probably better than the christmas one so it's a really hard decision unless you can stay an overlap both parties

7. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

Well, after you've considered work and school schedules and everyone's budget, it really comes down to personal preference.

Summer is out for us. It's horrendously humid by our standards (Yes, Tink, I know. It's horrendously dry here!), but we live in semi-arid (Los Angeles) and arid (Phoenix) climates. We can handle the heat, but the humidity...:eek:

We visited WDW once in late September/early October. The weather was decent, albeit rather humid that year. It was during free dining (no guarantee if or when it will be offered in the future) and encompassed both Food & Wine Festival and Mickey's Not So Scarey Halloween Party. Leu loved F&W--she was in her element! She loves trying different foods, then going home and recreating the ones she thinks her family will like. And she enjoys the occasional glass of wine. Me, not so much. I'm a picky eater and can't drink alcohol. :shrug: But it was fun watching her and other people sample the various things on offer.

MNSSHP was fun, but we probably wouldn't go again. Not that there is anything wrong with it--and many people prefer it over MVMCP--but Halloween never progressed beyond basic Trick-or-Treating when we were young. If I had children or really enjoyed that sort of thing as an adult, I certainly would go again.

That brings us to early to mid December. That's my favourite time to visit WDW. Holiday rates kick in about a week before Christmas Day and extend through early January, depending on where the holidays fall on the calendar. So we avoid that time and go earlier during value season. Not as busy as during the holidays or summer, but busier than it used to be.

As Tink said, the weather can be variable. Very warm to quite nippy--or very cold to me! :lol: Remember, I live in a desert, so my definition of cold is quite different than someone who experiences daily high temperatures in the 30s and 40s! The biggest challenge is wardrobe--warm enough to be able to withstand the coldest nights but light enough to be comfortable if the temperature shoots into the 80s.

The resorts are decked out in their holiday finery--it's a great time to resort-hop and check out the resorts at all levels. The deluxe resorts have the most/grandest decorations, but all of the resorts are decorated with a nod to their themes. All of the parks have some decorations, some more elaborate than others.

Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party (MVMCP) is my favourite of the two parties (haven't been to a Priates & Princesses Party, so can't compare that one). It's a hard-ticket event (separate admission), like MNSSHP. Although in December 2007, the format resembled MNSSHP more than the previous MVMCP's I have attended. More dance parties, less non-Disney entertainment. MVMCP's I attended in the past had a number of groups--singers, acrobats, and some that defy labels!--scheduled to perform in different areas throughout the evening. The last one I only saw the Liberty Square Carolers.

Leu was less impressed with MVMCP than I am, as they go to Disneyland (California) regularly, and events similar to those at MVMCP are included in regular park admission there. They usually go one evening early in December just to enjoy the holiday festivities. But she did love going in the cooler weather! :D

As Tink noted, World Showcase is a wonderful place to spend some time during the holiday season. There is no extra charge for Candlelight Processional (unless you choose a dinner package) and Holidays Around the World--which some of us call Santas Around the World. :lol: Not every country represented celebrates Christmas, so not all of the storytellers are Santa figures, but you get the idea. Each country highllights a special holiday in its culture.

So it comes down to schedule, budget, weather and activity preferences.

And which ever season you choose, the planning in terrific and the holiday is magical! :)

8. PsychoAlice

PsychoAlice Resident Anarchist

Just remember that a bad day at Disney is better than a good day at work...

9. Tink

Ohhhhh, not so sure about that! :wink: But a good day at Disney beats the heck outa' just about any where else! :D :D

10. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

We dont do so many partys or celebrations when we go so that doesnt really matter so much to us (we have done mvmcp before though and that was lovely). Last year we were chatting to somebody who works over in Florida (cant for the life of me think who or where it was now!) and they said that the best time to go is January! I know there isnt anything really special going on at that time of year but she said everything is much much quieter - and queues are non existant.
    I suppose you just have to weigh things up, we've not had a problem with it being to busy when we went and the most we have had to queue for a ride is 15mins which is good i think!