1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Bit of a Cyprus trippie

Discussion in 'Non Disney Trips and Travels' started by Dawn, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

Eeesh, i dont know how you coped in that heat - i dont think id be able to leave the villa!! :worship:
    Petrol station sounds, erm, interesting too!!

2. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

Last full day and the usual swim, breakfast, suncream, car routine.

We're off to Latchi again and this time we go early enough so that we can pop up to the Baths of Aphrodite without having to negotiate eleventy billion cars in the car park. Found it and walked to the baths - very underwhelming - it's a small pool in a wooded glade. Nice and cool in the shade though and the views along the coast are amazing.

Back to Latchi and we parked on the other side of the harbour this time and Steven and myself hit the sea, leaving Adrian on the beach with a book. We swam for about 90 minutes and then got changed and headed to the harbour for lunch. Steven let the side down by ordering himself a full English breakfast, but he ate the lot and really enjoyed it. Quick look round the tourist shops for a few bits to take home and then back to the villa. The heat had beaten us now and we spent a couple of hours inside the villa just chilling.

About 4pm I managed to get an hour in the pool all by myself and then we had to start the process of packing ready for the trip home tomorrow. :( Though we seem to be going home with less than we bought with us. :unsure:

Anyway we packed as much as possible and then headed back to the restaurant we ate at on the first day. Steven and myself shared the seafood platter again and Adrian had sheftalia again and then we round off with baklava and ice cream all round. Then it was back to the villa and off to bed.

Next morning we set the alarm clock so that we could be up early to have an hour in the pool before breakfast. Then after a last breakfast on the balcony it was a quick pack up of the last bits and then a sad goodbye to our lovely villa, especially the fridge. :lol:

Drove to the dumpster down the road to get rid of the rubbish and then hit the road east across the island. We arrived at Lemesos, (Limassol) about 11.30am and found somewhere to park. Quick look around a few shops and then found a seafront restaurant for lunch. Steven and myself had omelettes and Adrian had something Greek. The lady serving us said that we had been lucky with the weather - this week it had been about 35 degrees each day and she said that normally this time of year it is 45 degrees. :thud:

Sadly our time had run out so we drove the last hour back to Larnaca, dropped our car off and then found the check-in area. Our flight had an hour delay on it which turned into about 90 minutes but it really wasn't that big a deal. There were a few shops to look around and places to eat and drink and then we found a viewing area to watch the planes land and take off. Soon we were airborne and on our way home again.

Final thoughts

We loved our week out there. We did a lot but it was at such a laid back pace that it felt like we were there much longer than a week. The heat was brutal at times and I'm glad we didn't take Steven when he was younger or we would not have coped at all. A car was essential where we were based and we found driving no problem as long as you kept your wits about you and kept checking your rear view mirror. Food was lovely - please try local cuisine, I implore you. Yes it was an expensive holiday compared to other parts of Europe and even Florida but it was a whole different kind of holiday. One that we would gladly do again.

3. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Glad you had a great time Dawn and thank you :hug2: for reminding me of all the places we went - I did laugh when I heard what you thought of the Baths of Aphrodite :lol: I can still remember Chris' face, all he said was "is that it!" :lol:

Cyprus has always been expensive, but the people and the island make it worth that extra bit more :yes:

4. Dawn

That's exactly what Steven said. And then when he found out he couldn't go for a paddle...:point:

5. Dawn

6. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

£769 in LOW Season? I'm not even going to ask what it was for you.

Sounds like you had a wonderful trip. Trips like this are what I miss about living in Europe.