1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Blackberry Playbook

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by Isafari, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

Anyone got the Blackberry Playbook?
    If so, I'd love to hear your opinion?

2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Avoid, don't waste your money on it :) (that's the summary of the many many pages I'd love to write as to why...)

3. Isafari

I was so close to buying one this afternoon and was thinking of going back tomorrow to Curry's to actually buy the 64 for £250.

Can you suggest anything in the same price bracket that will get me on the internet and allow me to watch movies with a good battery life and not too expensive. I'll probably only use it when on holiday.

What's your main problems with this model Keith? :unsure:

4. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

I go back on forth on this.. for a 64gb tablet to go on the net, watch movies and download a few apps (although they are limited) I think the price is fantastic. They sell like hotcakes where I work. You can actually download android apps for them now (They need converting to BiB format, but there are sites out there with them pre-converted) and soon they are going to introduce android on it natively. :yes:

The screen quality is superb.

As a tablet? Not the best. As a personal media device and web browser? Hard to say no at that price!

5. keith

Truly its existance in shops at the price point it's at is just a long drawn out firesale of a product that was doomed from the outset.

It was supposed to be a flagship "tablet" but from the earliest days it became obvious that devs werent gonna code for apple AND android AND webos AND blackberry.....

So they reduced its price.... then RIM ran into problems trying to explain how they'd compete with the iphone/windows phones/android phones never mind the ipad... and the price tumbled again.

Now it's sitting with a group of overpriced tablets which we know aren't going to be around for long. As a tablet it's near useless since the apps arent being written for it and they wont be because RIM is staking its fortunes on a new operating system.

Now, if you like the look of it and it does just what you need, fine :) but give it 3-6 months and I betcha you'll be thinking why did I buy this lemon when for around the same price I could've gotten a better android tablet, an ipad 2 etc etc.

Bear in mind, android tablets now start from about £60 on amazon (some are better than others but all have a better app base than the playbook)

Ponder also ;-) that March is widely rumoured as the announcement/launch of an Ipad3 which, if past history is anything to go by, will probably launch at a similar price to the ipad2 and the ipad2 will come down in price and of course the used market will go crazy.

I'd FAR rather have an ipad1 or ipad2 than a playbook any day of the week and if an ipad3 comes out, I can easily imagine an ipad2 being reduced to 250/300.

That's before we consider the amazon fire, $199 of loveliness and you're going on hols to the states anyway, very easy to pick one of them up!

In short, as a "I want a tablet and I like how it looks and it'll get me on the web" impulse buy then sure, but as a capable device with a future ignore it, it's a lemon.

6. josh.p.

I agree with what you're saying, but the build quality of it compared to the cheap tablets you can get off Amazon makes it a great personal media player/web browser, especially for £169!

7. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

I bought Donna a Kindle Fire for Christmas. She absolutely loves it.

I have an iPad2 to which I am still finding the nuances.

8. keith

yeah :) like I say, for a limited function "get online and web" don't expect anything more from it then yah know ok! It's just I think 169 or 250 quid is a fair chunk of money and I'd want something more. Perhaps I'm just tight :lol:

9. josh.p.

Quite a few work mates have them and love them. I can't justify it with the amount of iPhones and iPads in this house :rotfl: The screen is so much better than the other tablets in it's range. We compared it with the xoom and it even beat that :yes: HD movies on it look absolutely stunning.

10. keith

Give it 3 months and they'll be putting them on ebay ;-)

11. keith

Did you get one Isafari? if so what do you think of it??

12. Isafari

I did get one and I love it :yes:
    It does everything I need it to do....gets me online, watch movies, read books etc. I didn't want anything as big as the ipad so it's perfect for me.