1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Blackfish

Discussion in 'SeaWorld/Discovery Cove/Aquatica' started by Badlydrawnkel, Aug 6, 2013.

1. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

But, if it weren't for places like many zoos, sanctuaries and places like Disney, Seaworld, and Busch I fear that many animals may already have been extinct. These places do a lot of good work in raising awareness of things such as poaching and mass slaughter.
  2. Badlydrawnkel

Badlydrawnkel Addicted to Mickey

It's very true, there are positives for both sides.

Quoting for a book I have just finished, maybe as a species we have outgrown the need to capture these species. It has already been proven we can learn from these animals from the wild.
  3. orbsuk

orbsuk Imagineer

i've got hold of a copy today but the wife said see don't want to watch it :confused:may watch later by myself
  4. Badlydrawnkel

I have watched it. Looking forward to discussing it with you when you have watched it!
  5. orbsuk

orbsuk Imagineer

just wached it & found it shocking & very sad :(
  6. Badlydrawnkel

It is isn't it :-(
  7. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Has it changed the way you feel about SeaWorld?
  8. Badlydrawnkel

Yes. Although I hadn't visited pre-attack. It is still sad. It feels like it is only the trainers who are actually interested in the wellbeing of the animals.

The flamingo area upset my boyfriend and I as it was so tiny, let alone anything else.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
  9. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

I'm reevaluating my feelings about the whole thing myself, haven't seen the movie but just remember its an extreme view, I'd like to see seaworld's response to this. :)
  10. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Over crowding is the reason we are not "fans" of Busch Gardens, Tampa. We actually left early the one day we went as we couldn't bear the way the animals were housed and behaving. I tried to convince myself that Sea World was a notch better because they do rescue animals (well, manatees, and dolphins, etc). But the shows are still a hard point with me.

I know Disney keeps animals in captivity too... :sigh:
  11. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

This is Seaworld's response from their blog

A Response to Blackfish
    By Michael Scarpuzzi, Vice President of Zooligical Operations for SeaWorld San Diego
    Shortly after 1:30 p.m. on Feb. 24, 2010, a SeaWorld Orlando trainer lost her life in a tragic accident involving one of the park’s killer whales. The death of Dawn Brancheau was an occasion of almost unbearable sadness for those closest to Dawn — her family, friends and colleagues at SeaWorld. I was honored to know Dawn and count myself among those SeaWorld team members deeply affected by her loss.

Dawn’s death has been the subject of thousands of articles, broadcast news stories, blogs, books, and now a feature film called Blackfish. Many of these accounts trade in the details of Dawn’s death in graphic detail. They do so not to inform but, rather, regrettably, because of the desire to sensationalize. The three years since Dawn’s death have seen the emergence of individuals who have chosen not to honor her memory, but rather to use the events of Feb. 24, 2010 to advance their own interests. Some seek commercial gain. Others seek to forward a political or philosophical agenda. Still others appear to be engaged in self-promotion.

But anyone approaching this subject in good faith must recognize a simple fact: Our staff has interacted with killer whales — for veterinary care, training, shows, educational presentations, husbandry, exercise, play and enrichment — hundreds of times a day for nearly 50 years. The tragedy of Dawn’s death cannot and has not been ignored, but neither should the literally millions of safe interactions we have had with killer whales over that span of time. Blackfish focuses on a handful of incidents over our long history at the exclusion of everything else. Not a single interview with a guest who was inspired and enriched by their experience with killer whales at SeaWorld. Not one visitor who left SeaWorld more aware of the need to preserve the world around them. Not one word about the thousands of ill, orphaned and injured animals rescued by SeaWorld or the millions of dollars we dedicate to supporting conservation and research. There is no acknowledgment anywhere in the film of the great things SeaWorld does every day or the simple fact that our animals are healthy and passionately cared for.

I started at Sea World in 1975 and have witnessed the growth and changes that come with a company that is dedicated to understanding these magnificent animals. We have collected invaluable information about these animals that could not be obtained from observation in the wild. In the three years since Dawn’s death, we have again made significant changes at SeaWorld. We have altered how we care for, display and train these extraordinary animals. We have changed the facilities, equipment and procedures at our killer whale habitats. The care and educational presentation of these animals at SeaWorld has been made safer than ever before. Does Blackfish inform its viewers of that fact? No, it does not. And by that omission the film reveals itself not as a work of objective documentary filmmaking, but rather as something closer to propaganda. As we have said many times, there is simply no higher priority for us than the safety of our guests and staff and the welfare of our animals.

We understand that there will always be individuals and groups opposed to the care of animals in zoos and aquariums. We recognize that we must defend what we do and the manner in which we do it. Blackfish, like other works driven by the same agenda, ignores the extraordinary benefits to conservation, scientific research and education of America’s zoo and aquariums. But through it all SeaWorld remains the world’s most respected marine zoological institution. Our parks are staffed with skilled and caring zoological professionals, all of whom deserve to have their work celebrated, not dishonored by things like Blackfish.

Despite what the makers of this film may suggest, SeaWorld is the kind of organization that draws dedicated and passionate people like Dawn Brancheau. These are the men and women who have built SeaWorld into an extraordinary place, one that provides inspiring, enriching and educational experiences to more than 11 million people each year. That, not the inaccurate and shamefully misleading account in Blackfish, is what SeaWorld really is.

Scarpuzzi, who has been caring for and training killer whales for nearly 40 years, is the vice president of zoological operations for SeaWorld San Diego.

12. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

Really looking forward to seeing this film - it voices a nagging doubt I've always had about animal parks but never really expressed.

Like many of you have already said, I'm torn on the issue but would like the opportunity to explore it further.
  13. Pixie-Ro

Pixie-Ro Earning my ears

I think for me the issue is not necessarily one of animals in captivity, as some zoos etc do a great job of caring for and breeding animals which may otherwise have become extinct. In my opinion, the issue is making these animals perform and entertain us humans. I saw the Shamu show back in 2008 and it brought tears to my eyes, and not in a good way. I felt so sad that these majestic creatures had humans standing on them and riding them around the pool, it just seemed so wrong, and I am not an animal lover by any stretch of the imagination! Apparently the animals 'enjoy' it, but most of them know no different, and a lot of us will 'perform' for the right reward!
    I read 'Death at Seaworld' as well as watching Blackfish, and that book goes into a lot of detail about the hunting and capture of orcas, which is really quite harrowing.
    SeaWorld refused to take part in the film, I think they may have underestimated the impact it could have, which is why they have now released a statement.
  14. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

I didn't know they were making a film, part of me would like to see it but part of me doesn't.
    The first time we went to sw back in 2005 we watched the shamu show and I can say it was one of the most incredible things I have ever seen in my life, its the closest I have ever come to an orca and its the closest I will ever be to one. We went to watch it a second time and during the show one of the large males decided he wasn't doing anything he was being asked to do, he threw himself up on the side at the trainers and went back in the water. They tried to get him to go out the back and he wouldn't, he was jumping in and out of the water, they got the matriarch out to try and get him to go out the back and even she couldn't do it. They ended up having to close and we all left. I have to say, seeing him be that way was scary, it showed that they still have their instincts whether they areborn in captivity or not, but it also shows that if they don't want to preform then nobody can make them!
  15. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

It's on BBC4 a few times this week.
  16. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I think it's interesting to watch but it just needs to be put into context. As always, neither side is considering the valid points in the others' arguments
  17. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

Well I watched it and found it very interesting. I wasn't aware that Tillikum was infact taken from the wild, I just thought he had come from another place where he had been born in captivity. He is the one they use for breeding and his genes are in a huge amount of orcas used in shows - that's quite a scary fact I think. It portrays SW as telling ALOT of lies, mainly to cover up - we don't know if this is true, although I do find it very interesting that all trainers there were never told about the previous attacks by some of the whales - that's awful!!!
  18. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

Kind of left me with a hollow feeling...
  19. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

I must admit, I didn't really enjoy SeaWorld this year. Maybe the thought of all.of these issues was just weighing on my.mind.
  20. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

It's funny, I remember when we first visited California when I was a child. My dad was buying park tickets at the hotel ticket counter and was enquiring about other things to see. The seller suggested Seaworld and my dad refused on the grounds that he didn't agree with animals in captivity. My dad was born and raised in India and spoke with a very thick Indian accent - it must have been strange to hear someone who outwardly seemed so 'backward' (for want of a better word) posit a view that was so radical... seeing as this was in 1987.