1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Blackfish

Discussion in 'SeaWorld/Discovery Cove/Aquatica' started by Badlydrawnkel, Aug 6, 2013.

1. *Bambi-Belle*

*Bambi-Belle* Imagineer

I watched Blackfish last night, it is very one sided however listening to the Mother whales grieving after having their babies taken away was heartbreaking. :(

2. Suebeattie

Suebeattie Addicted to Mickey

We watched this this week and I was quite shocked by the whole thing.
    My mum has always had views about sea world and the fact they kept animals in captivity but I always thought they took in animals from other parks not that they originally took them from the wild.
    We swam with the dolphins at discovery cove this year and whilst I loved it i didn't realise there were still "wild" dolphins in there. It made me realise how naive I am about the whole thing.
    I have to agree that it was heartbreaking listening to the mothers whose babies had been taken away.
    I find I am arguing with myself as when we go again to Florida I really want to go back to discovery cove and sea world to show Zac and let him get up close with them but I don't feel comfortable with the fact that they are animals who should be in the wild and some of whom were in the wild once.
    I suppose this is just where corporations like sea world know they will always make money from these animals :(

3. robertcraig

robertcraig Serious Forum Regular

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    I also went to sea world and Bush Gardens last year or was ok but dont think i will be back

4. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

I watched it last night and found it very interesting. I listen to a lot of podcasts and they've all been talking about it recently so felt the need to make my own opinion.
    I actually thought it was going to be more of a radical style than it was, but I thought the makers did well by not making it too radical. If it was, it would have turned a lot of people off it.
    I think the thing that shocked me the most was just how many 'accidents' there had been involving orcas. That film they showed of the man being repeatidly pulled to the bottom of the tank was particularly harrowing.
    They did well at presenting the facts and using video to back it up.
    Of course it was one sided, as you would expect. From listening to the background of some of the trainers I've found a lot of them were disgruntled employees so I took what they said with a pinch of salt. However, I did find a lot of their points to be valid.
    The section on Loro Parque in Tenerife was interesting too.
    I'm pleased I watched it and it just confirms what I'd thought before I watched it, that I don't think I'll be returning to Sea World in a hurry. When we went in August I knew nothing of the film, but watching the Shamu show this year just made me feel uncomfortable, and the stadium just wasn't as busy as I expected, which made me wonder if people are starting to have second thought about this sort of show.
    I'd be interested to read others views :)

5. robertcraig

robertcraig Serious Forum Regular

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    I recieved Blackfish DVD for my birthday à very powerful film no wonder Seaworld is worried