1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Bob Iger Confirms The Avengers 2 Movie and Marvel Based Theme Park Rides

Discussion in 'General News & Rumors' started by Wendy, May 9, 2012.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Disney CEO Bob Iger has confirmed that after smashing through the record books with its $207 million domestic opening weekend and ruling the world with over $702 million grossed to date, Walt Disney Studios is working on The Avengers 2.

Iger also said the company's theme-park engineers have "ramped … up" design work on Marvel-based attractions for parks in California and overseas, though none is likely to be added at Walt Disney World because Universal Orlando holds exclusive theme-park rights to key Marvel properties on the U.S. East Coast.

2. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Hmm, if Disney owns Marvel, I wonder how Universal can still own the rights. Seems like legal should be working on this one.

3. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

It may be that Universal signed a long term contract with Marvel before Disney bought them. Then Disney either had to take Marvel with the contract in place or walk away from the whole deal. I'm sure the penalties to get out of it would have been substantial. If that's the case however, I'd love to be a fly on the wall when the Marvel contract with Universal is up. Bet it won't get renewed.

Of course I have no idea of any of that is actually true. It's just idle speculation on my part.

Tom :)macwave:... what do you call 1,000 attorneys at the bottom of the ocean. A good start. Sorry Keith!)

4. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

It was all part of the agreement John.

Universal's deal with Marvel gave it exclusive use of the Marvel characters in theme parks east of the Mississippi.

The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man ride and The Incredible Hulk roller coaster are perpetual deals and its license for existing IOA characters is in perpetuity.

It wouldn't surprise me if Disney didn't try and buy them out at some point in the future though.

5. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

Yes that's the Disney spirit, let's stop being creative and nick ideas from elsewhere and let the lawyers sort it out

Whirrrrr goes uncle Walt in his grave

6. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

They need something for the boys. Boys (and girls) love super heroes! I want them to buy the rights to Wonder Woman and then I may just die from giddiness :yes:

7. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

Im pleased that they wont be having marvel characters at their parks - i dont want to see them at Disney!!
    I like the fact that they are at Universal, it makes the parks very different :yes:

8. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

:yeahthat:

:yeahthat:

Tom :)macwave:... shares the same opinions...)