1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Booking a WDW hotel direct or with a third party site

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by Vikki, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

I was just doing some playing around and I found something interesting. For half term week in October this year All Star Music is £476' which about what I'd expect. However, on hotels.com it's £383! Am I missing something obvious here?

We're considering going next October so looked at this year to get some comparisons.

Has anyone noticed Disney hotels being a lot cheaper with a third party site? Any ideas why this is?

2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

yeah for sure.... Disney.co.uk is, from what they told me, treated as a separate travel agent and like the rest, they negotiate price for so many rooms and then decide what profit they want to make. I often see disney uk cheaper by quite a bit than disney us even with all currency conversions, taxes etc.

Same with Virgin holidays. I've sometimes snagged a flight and room from VH more cheaply than going to virgin atlantic+disney direct. Not always, but sometimes.

Obviously got to be careful that they're pricing by the room rather than per person and not adding any extras like resort fees and things on at the last minute before you pay, but other than that, I'd have no problem booking disney through a third party.

3. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

hotels.com is quite a reputable site from what i've heard. I wouldn't have a problem booking them but i would use a credit card just in case

4. Vikki

I got as far as the payment page so the price I put there was presumably the price it actually was. We're going to be getting an AP so it's going to be difficult deciding whether we should book via the UK or US.

5. keith

If you feel that's the best price you can get without discount, book it, then you can always cancel it for a full refund up to just a few days before the booking is due (although always check the fine print ;-) but that's Disney policy and was the same on hotels.com last time I checked.

AP discounts are much harder to get these days and are shallower than they've ever been making them not worth the wait often. Nonetheless, you can always ask a US TA to keep an eye out for you and book the AP discount if and when it comes out. They'll often want to book a room now without discount and change it up to the AP one when available but you probably won't want/need that if you book the hotels.com one as the standby.

6. Vikki

That all sounds very sensible! We thought £476 was reasonable, so hoping that cheaper offer will be around next year too!

7. keith

You'll have a great time. Must admit for all my stays at the deluxe resorts, there's a special place in my heart for all stars. The first hotels we ever stayed at in Disney and still the best for that excitement and atmosphere

8. Vikki

I'm with you there! We want this October trip to be the cheapest on site accommodation was can possibly manage. Come the summer we may resort hop a bit, so we can try a few different places, but for this one, we want the cheapest on site we can get.

9. keith

hardly ever there so why not! In fact that's what's brilliant about all stars. It doesn't take money from other things, you wake up and get that excitement as you walk through the lobby to the buses or car parks, then there's a comfy bed when you want to sleep :) What else is there :)

10. Vikki

Exactly! The kids have never stayed at one of the 'louder' resorts, bet they'll love the colours and it just being so much larger than life.

11. sarah

sarah Addicted to Mickey

Would you have the dining added on or eat in different places off site and pay separately?
    Just curious as the next time we go we thought about trying to stay at one of the Disney resorts
    We have stayed in villas which have always been great.

12. Vikki

We've had the dining plan the last few years and got bored of it to be honest. We'll have an annual pass too, so.won't be elegable for the dining plan as we won't be booking a hotel and tickers package. We'll just eat off site or on site cheaply.

13. keith

not strictly true. You can't get the free dining plan unless you book the package with hotel+tickets, but if you get an AP discounted room you can still add the dining plan to it as a paid add on if you feel it's advantageous. (although personally I can't really see why but it's an option)

14. sarah

sarah Addicted to Mickey

Thanks vikki it's nice to try different places especially if you have a car to get around

15. Vikki

Thanks for the info there Keith! Didn't realise that :)

16. keith

yeah! I know a few people who've done it for the joy of pre-pay and knowing that everythings already covered when they're there :yes:

17. Vikki

I understand why you'd do it, we paid for it the first year it was running (when it was better value!), but this time we're looking forward to not being constrained by it.