Booking Disney Hotel Free Dining with an AP?

Discussion in 'General' started by Deb, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Deb

Deb Active Member

I have just dithered for 5 minutes as to where to post this, and have decided "General" will cover all bases :lol: It's a basic question, but I have never used an AP before and am a bit clueless as to a few things :rolleyes3:

After 2 and a half years without a holiday, we may well have found a solution to our house and pet sitting problems. We are not even in a planning stage yet, but in the decision making stage of when exactly to go. Our current thoughts are to maybe go in November 2014 for 2 weeks offsite, and then May 2015 for 2 weeks onsite, when we can take advantage of the free DP (we will upgrade to the Deluxe DP). Because of this it would obviously be better for us to buy our very first AP (especially as we might just try to sneak another trip in October 2015 if possible ;) ). Are you with me so far? :biggrin:

However, looking at prices for package holidays for the May trip, we would need to buy the Disney Ultimate 14 day pass at the same time to qualify for the free DP. So, if we had an AP, how would we go about booking on Disney property, either with or without a package, and still get the free dining? :shrug1:

2. Tink

Tink Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Wait. WAIT!!! Someone is going to take care of the menagerie other than ME! :bugeye:

3. Tink

The rest is a question for our Wendy. :sigh:

4. Deb

Deb Active Member

Well, they aren't booked yet Tink ;) There is still time :D

5. Tink

You know? I was talking with Herself about this very thing the other day. If there were any way at all we could do this, we'd be swapping homes with you in a NY minute. :sigh: Maybe one day, when we have our home back to ourselves. :sigh:

6. uscwest

uscwest Well-Known Member

If you use a TA like our dear Johnie, I'm sure she'll be able to assist.

7. Johnie

Johnie Active Member

Vocational Counselor
    You would have to purchase a 2 day base ticket in order to take advantage of the free dining. You can get those tickets put on an actual card and they won't expire as long as you do not use a day.

8. Deb

Deb Active Member

Thanks Johnie :hug2: So if we were staying for 14 nights, and bought a 2 day base ticket, we would still get the free DP for the whole 14 nights?

9. Johnie

Johnie Active Member

Vocational Counselor
    The dining plan is based on the number of nights you stay.

10. Deb

Deb Active Member

So, it would mean booking through the USA website as opposed to via a UK option (preferably via our friendly TA ;) ), and buying a 2 day base ticket. Is that right? So if you already have an AP you can't take advantage of the free DP without buying an extra ticket?

I'll have to tot up the price differences here :thumbsup:

11. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou Makuakane Staff Member Administrator

It doesn't always pay to use a US ta Deb, if you take into account the exchange rate etc, you could find yourself out of pocket.

The offers in the UK are normally a lot better than anything you can get by going direct with a US ta, especially when the UK have their free dining plan. Most times, especially with Virgin, you can also get $200 bonus for spending on anything you like at Disney, snacks, souvenirs anything like that.

I think what you need to do is work out how much it will cost for APs for both of you and then price up the 14 day pass you will pay over here for 2 trips.

I do think you'd be better off going in early October though :wink:

12. Deb

Deb Active Member

Ah thanks Wendy :hug2: The figures are getting a wee bit tricky to work with, and couple that with the fact we are way up north and limited with flights then my head is spinning!

I agree that early October would be better ;) Would be my first choice too. But we can't get a petsitter till at least the 11th November until someone else comes through. But then we would have the christmas stuff, and would have Thanksgiving as our last day I suppose.

13. Wendy

I've had a look for you with regard to the tickets and this is what I can see:

On the Virgin Holidays site a Disney Ultimate 14 day 2015 ticket - £295 each

This will be £590 per trip which will cost you £1180 for both trips

On top of this Virgin normally give a $200 or $100 bonus to spend on snacks, souvenirs, etc at WDW.

An Annual Pass will cost you $675.21 each.

So for the 2 of you including tax it will be $1444.94 which works out to £880.98 for 2 trips.

Free dining in the US will cost you an extra $200.22 (£122.07) for the 2 day base ticket.

Total cost for Annual Passes and 2 day base tickets is £1003.05 (based on £1.61 exchange rate)

So the difference between the UK and US is: £176.95

In addition you get the $200 for spending at WDW which works out to £121.94 so the actual difference is £55.01

These prices for the US are based on this year's prices and will probably increase in price before you go. The Ultimate tickets are the prices for 2015.

You also have to factor in the CC exchange rate as it is always lower and you will also have the service charge.

Deb to be honest with you, if it was me (and I always do everything myself) I'd go for a Virgin package including the free dining. You won't have to worry about anything, you will be picked up at the airport and taken to your Disney Resort.

I've looked for flights etc for November 2015 but it is too early to get prices :sorry:

I hope this helps and doesn't confuse you more :hug2:

14. keith

keith Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Home Page:
    wow really excellent analysis! and I agree... Virgin will just take care of the whole lot for you, you'll have more insurance cover booking it as a UK package than individually with the US, you wont have to worry about exchange rates, AND you'll get extras like the ability to use the VROOM if you like etc etc.

I've done this a lot. I've priced everything and found that I could maybe save 50 quid or something IF THAT with the most optimistic conversation rate going seperate and US over a "just do everything" virgin quote. Also, you'll only pay a deposit of say £200 or something with virgin and the rest will only be due 3 months before you go, so you can pop it in the bank and get some interest :)

15. Tink

Wendy, you are incredible. Even I understood that! I will say it again... I don't understand why you don't own your own agency. :hug2:

16. Deb

Deb Active Member

Wow. Just wow Wendy. Thank you my lovely friend :hug2:

17. Wendy

I hope it helped Deb, I'm not that good at explaining things :lol:

18. Tink

You aren't? Well then, you just let me know when you think you've done a good job, ok? :lol: :D

19. Wendy

:lol: I can get muddled when typing things, I am blonde after all :wink:

20. Deb

Deb Active Member

I understood it completely Wendy :D Maybe that means I am just as crazy as you :p Though more likely it means you are fab at explaining things. Now to have a good old look at stuff and make some decisions :mental: Next step...I need to look at when free dining needs to be booked by with different companies so that I don't miss the deadline.