1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Boothbay Harbor Maine

Discussion in 'Non Disney Trips and Travels' started by ieuanr, Oct 2, 2009.

1. ieuanr

ieuanr Imagineer

We've booked a house on the water in Boothbay Harbor for the end of August next year. A little different from Disneyworld - but it looks pretty exciting.

Lots of fishing and kayak paddling for us.

I guess we will fly into Boston and spend a week before motoring up to the wilds. :thumbsup:

2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

OH! MY! GOSH!!!! You are going to LOVE Maine!!! :9: But you knew I'd say that, yes? Even though you aren't a seafood lover :eek: you will have a grand time. They have wonderful blueberries there... quite a festival at some point in the summer.

Maine. :sigh: Glorious, wild, and the ocean is quite fierce. Don't plan on swimming in it much, as it's quite cold. Then again, you are from hardy stock. :D

When I got out of the car in Bantry Bay I felt like I was home it was that much like the coast of Maine. You'll understand why the Irish settled there in droves. :yes:

Boston is a nice city too! Loads of American History. Do go to the Fanueil Hall area. :yes: You'll have a grand old time.

Plymouth where ya'll first landed :D is some bit away from Boston, but worth the visit. :yes:

I'll shut up now, but I could go on forever and ever and ever... :D :D I'll leave you to discover some things for yourselves!!! :D :D :D

It's great to "see you" again, by the way! Hope all is going well with the Clan Ieuan! :D

3. ieuanr

ieuanr Imagineer

Ahoy 'Tink

So many things to fit into a short time. Diane is very much looking forward to the lobster and fried clams! I will have to venture into the seafood world - when in Rome!

Diane fancies nipping across into Canada as well - better make it three weeks I am thinking!

We are all very good here - thanks for asking! I hope that everything is good with you and yours?

4. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

Sounds like a brilliant trip for you with lots of interesting sights. :thumbsup:

5. Tink

Well, Maine is quite close to Canada that is true. :yes: Quebec City would be my recommendation. :D :D

Diane is in for a real feast. Maine lobster is the best in the world. (No bias there, eh)? :D :D

The fried clam bellies are so delicious! It's about the only fried seafood I will still eat. :yes:

If you do get to Canada you must try the poutine! :yes: Oh so unhealthy, but delicious. :D :D

Better make if four weeks. :D

6. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

Oh my gosh, I'm so jealous, but in a good way!!! :lol: I want to go too! Please let us know how it was and when you come back, if you stayed in a decent place, I would love to hear about it. I would love to spend some time in that area visiting as well (also want to move there, sometime down the road).

I will be sitting here waiting. :D

7. Vixynne

Vixynne Earning my ears

I live fairly close to Plymouth, and it is quite a lovely little town--though a bit touristy, and I have to admit that Plymouth Rock itself isn't terribly impressive...Plymouth Plantation can be a nice trip, if you enjoy living history museums and want to see how the settlers...erm...settled.

If you go to Boston, definitely do not miss Faneuil (FAN-yull) Hall and Quincy Market (the MAH-ket). Lots of great food and little shops to poke in and out of. Don't miss out on the chowdah...I hee-ah they make it in Maine, too. :yes:
    [​IMG]

My kids love the Freedom Trail and the Duck Boat tours (amphibious tours of Boston and the Harbor (HAH-buh in Bostonianspeak)!
    [​IMG]
    If the weather is good, the Public Gardens (yeah, that'd be the GAH-dens) are perfect for a stroll, and you may even see the swan boats out for a leisurely paddle.

[​IMG]

So ends my wee little slide show of Boston and its chahms...or charms, too. :thumbsup:
    I'm sure you'll have an amazing trip, even if you only spend a few hours in Beantown. We don't have a Mouse, but we're all a bit goofy... :yes:

8. Tink

Union Bay Oyster House. :D :D Right beyond Quincy Market. THE BEST chowder, and well everything in Boston! :yes:

If it's got an "r" in it, smooth it out, drop it, make it a "h." :D If it ends in a vowel, put an r on it. LOL. So: Martha parking the car becomes Mahther pahking the cah. :D :D

You'll get the hang of it. Maine's accent is a bit different, ayuh. :D

You are going to have a WONDERFUL TIME!!!! :D :D