1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Buffets

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by Andy _B, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Andy _B

Andy _B Earning my ears

I know a lot of people like Buffets but the oly time we have tried them offsite, Golden Corral, I think, I thought it was poor quality food. They may be cheap but I would rather have good.

Onsite buffets seem better but then they are a lot more expensive.

2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

That's been our experience too

Some of the slightly offsite hotels do decent enough ones! The wyndham palace, now the Buena vista palace right opposite downtown disney did a nice character buffet when we were there! Food actually hot!

some of the worst ones have been the all you can eat chinese super buffets. Really poor food, barely heated <shudder>

3. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I have completely given up on off site buffets. I've been to the one at Gaylord Palms and was not pleased with the quality of the food. The Rosen Hotel at Christmas one year had a beautiful buffet, but forgot to light the warmer tins so everything was at the tepid (and dangerous) temperature.

I've tried the "all you can eat" lobster/seafood buffets and they were some of the worst. Horribly overcooked (yet not hot) lobster and crab, and in one, a filthy (as in dripping sand/dirt/grit) pan of clams.

So, Andy B. I agree with you completely.

The only buffets I've ever had trouble with at WDW were Trails End (the one time we visited it was horribly messy, like a feeding frenzy was happening!) and Cape May (one of our visits saw the steam tables not working which made for very long lines and grumpy people). Other than those two instances, we've always felt secure with Disney buffets. :D

4. cathydisneynut

cathydisneynut Earning my ears

I'm not sure if we'll ever go back to offsite places for buffet breakfasts or dinners. Unless we are doing a character breakfast, it will be breakfast in our rooms at SSR, and a really good meal at night. On our last holiday, it definitely came down to quality over quantity.

5. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

I really don't like the mass market buffets off site, the only one I like is Sweet Tomatoes. The food quality onsite is much better and they work for us because I am pretty fussy so I can make my own meal how I like it :D Boma being my absolute favourite!

6. Tink

I always forget about Sweet Tomatoes. I will eat in certain ones of those. :yes:

7. disney1sttimer

disney1sttimer Earning my ears

What are the ponderosas like ? good food buffets ?

8. Tink

I'm sorry, but in my opinion no. :sorry: I will not eat at a Ponderosa, or a Sizzler. No Shoney's either. :sorry: I'll go to a grocery store and buy lunch meat and bread before eating at those places. :(

9. Mags

Mags Serious Forum Regular

Have you tried Sweet Tomatoes? It is a very good buffet. There are lots of salads to choose from as well as soups, breads, muffins, a pasta dish, pizza and desserts. We went at 3.45 last time and paid lunch time prices as the dinner choices were being carried out. The food is great.

Margaret

10. mainecoon lover

mainecoon lover Addicted to Mickey

We ate at a golden corral once as friends wanted to eat there. Never again. Have had some good buffets in Disney, the best being CP. I love Cracker Barrel for breakfast.

11. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

The first two times I went to Orlando in 1988 and 1989 we ate regularly at the Ponderosa opposite the Holiday Inn on I-Drive and it was lovely. Few years later I went back there and they had dropped the price to rock bottom and the quality had dropped with it. Sad to see items like tinned tomatoes on the breakfast buffet - obviously catering to the British tourist. Never been in one since.

And never eat in any Chinese buffet along 192. :eek:

12. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

Buffets scare me, disney or not, they are just like a big breeding ground for bacteria, what if someone didn't wash their hands after going to the toilet and then uses the big spoons for the soup... or worse.. for the sweet chilli dipping sauce! *shudder*

13. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

And the kids sticking their fingers in the food...

14. Tink

Oh please don't get me started! :eek:

Serving ladles and spoons completely submerged in the food, and people reaching into the pan to fish the spoon out! :eek: UGH!

On cruise ships many of them now serve you at buffets. I much prefer that.

'Course dining out is always chancey. We were in a Pizza Hut and a (very badly behaved!) child and his Grandmother were at a table near us. The boy kept shaking some of the grated cheese onto the shaker lid and LICKING it off! The grandmother never said a word, nor did she give the shaker to the server to be taken away.

15. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Ewwwwwwwwwww

16. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

I think I'm going to be sick, I was in pizza hut on saturday and I love parmesan on pizza. I think maybe I'm going to have to take my own shaker next time LOL

17. MinnieMouse

MinnieMouse Earning my ears

I like pizza hut too. I will definitely be checking the shaker before I use it next time I go.

18. Tink

Isn't that disgusting? Ugh! I'll never use another public shaker! Well, maybe the red pepper. I don't see anyone licking that. :D

19. PsychoAlice

PsychoAlice Resident Anarchist

Im spoiled....Ive eaten buffets in Las Vegas....

20. Tink2

Tink2 Earning my ears

We love Sweet Tomatoes and go to the one off I-Drive a couple of times a trip.

I'm not really keen on Golden Corral but my DS has autism and for quite a few years he had to be able to walk into a restaurant and immediately get a bowl of plain pasta. There would have been no way we'd have been able to sit at a table and wait for a server to take our order and then wait for the food to be delivered. If we wanted to be able to eat out then the buffets were our only answer. Thankfully as he's got older and has got used to the restaurant environment we're able to gradually introduce more non buffet meals, which I'm very pleased about.

We've got a week of free dining in September (just me and the kids) and most of those meals are buffet but that's mainly because of the characters.