1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

CALIFORNIA GRLL

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by robertcraig, May 26, 2013.

1. robertcraig

robertcraig Serious Forum Regular

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    Does anyone know the date when it opens
  2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

As far as I know there's no official opening date yet BUT people have been able to book it for November 18th onwards. When asked if that was the opening date someone from disney dining apparently said no but those dates had been loaded because they were sure it would be open before then. Earlier dates are expected when a final opening date has been announced

I'm really looking forward to it, I missed it hugely in May but I must admit I'm already worried about what I've seen :/
  3. robertcraig

robertcraig Serious Forum Regular

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    Oh well SEPTEMBER is out
  4. keith

Not from what I hear! There's definitely a possibility of September, officially they're still saying late summer. It's just that until they officially say what exact date, they won't load the earlier dates
  5. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

What's got you worried, Keith? We were considering a last minute reservation here in September if they did indeed open, so I'm curious...
  6. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

I think it will open towards the end of September, I could be wrong though.

The only thing I didn't like the look of was that tables for couples seem to all be in the restaurant on a long bench layout. There wasn't any tables by the windows for couples :(
  7. keith

As Wendy says, the main thing that I don't like from the few photos I've seen is the long bench for tables of two :( I think it looks terribly regimented and like they thought of the most space efficient way to fit in loads of tables for 2 rather than the best way. I really detest restaurants where they have tiny tables for 2, thrown into spaces left by other tables.

We normally ask if we can wait for a table by the window. They immediately say "sorry no chance of that before the fireworks" to which I cheerfully say "absolutely no problem, we'll wait till after" because all I really want is a nice quiet meal and to be able to stare out over Disney. That's ok if I can still do that and get a decent sized table, but if it's going to be a case of "Sorry there are no tables for 2 by the window" it's going to be.... irksome.

I get a little OTT about stuff like this because over the years, Disney have become more and more silly about tables for 2. We were at the brown derby a few weeks back and they sat us at a tiny table for 2 right up against a wall on one side and a busy alleyway on the other side. They weren't busy, lots of larger better tables but I didn't complain, I thought ok well there IS only 2 of us so :/ Servers rushing past nudging me on the right, wall making sure I didnt have any space on the left but ok.... RIGHT up until the server brought the bread and the starter and ran out of space to put down the wine. She said "erm erm these tables are so tiny hehe shall I take the wine back and just bring it out if you ask?". *NO* get some common sense and move us to one of the hundreds of tables large enough to actually have all the things we ordered on it :(

The next place we went was the luau... in years gone by we've been fortunate to have a table at the front every so often. I mean rare but it did happen. This time I noticed there were no tables for 2 at the front at all, they were all squished in further back.

..and so it goes. I have a bee in my bonnet about this and it wasn't previously an issue with the CG, so I won't be impressed if it starts to be now

P02-1.jpg
  8. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

I didn't know it had shut to be honest, how out of touch am I?

Its one of my favourites along with artist point!

I also agree regarding the table for two. I did feel last year that my and my gf were always a 'second thought' (probably due to the low tips compared to big groups).

It really got to me and towards the end of the trip did start to ruin it a little for me.