1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Calling All Cruisers! Fact or Fiction?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line' started by Beccaberry, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

Jon LOVES to cruise. LOVES it. I've mentioned a Disney Cruise a time or two, and have always been met with, "Isn't that just for families?" and/or "Isn't that WAY more expensive than a "regular" cruise?" (meaning on ANY other cruise line). Well, I am considering booking a cruise for his birthday and was hoping to debunk some of these "assumptions" and decide if perhaps a Disney cruise is/is not right for us!

So...

It's a well-known assumption that Disney cruises are (generally speaking) more expensive than "other" cruise lines. So, in your experience, is that fact or fiction? Are Disney cruises more costly?

It has also been my experience that most cruisers find the extra outlay of cash worth it. Fact or fiction, in your opinion?

I have also heard (mainly from people who have never been) that Disney is more for families with young children rather than families with older children or couples. Fact or fiction? Are there things to entertain and engage "non-traditional Disney cruisers"?

And finally, for those of you who have cruised with Disney AND on other lines...what are the differences?

2. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

I can't help really, but when I looked into a Caribbean cruise a long time ago, DCL was considerably more expensive.

Tink has done both and if I remember correctly she wouldn't do it again. I'm sure she will tell you all about it though :)

3. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Becca,

To answer your questions.

More expensive? Yep. :shocked:

Worth it? Youbetcha Kimosabe! (although this one is more a personal opinion) :yes:

Things to entertain and engage "non-traditional Disney cruisers"? Yep. Plenty. :thumbsup:

From the adults only pool and section of the decks to the adults only restaurants to the adults only club areas to the Spas, I'd say there's plenty to do for "non-traditional Disney cruisers". I believe Disney even plans for "non-traditional Disney cruisers" in the main dining rooms also. While there's certainly children around, my DW and I have only been seated at the normal dining rotation at a table with children on one of our five Disney cruises. The other four we were seated at dining tables with parties that were strictly adults. This can't be coincidence. So, I believe Disney does their best to accommodate the "non-traditional Disney cruisers".
    And besides, there's always the bars! :bar:

Having never cruised on another cruise line, I can only share what a good friend of mine told me when we were considering taking our first cruise back in 2003. Said friend lives in Florida and considers himself a professional cruiser. He and his wife have been on literally every cruise line that calls a Florida port home. His take on Disney and the associated expense was pretty simple and can be summed up in two statements.
    • He felt that Disney cruise lines offered staterooms that were on average, probably anywhere between 10 and 25% larger that what you'd find on other cruise lines.
    • He felt that if they were going to cruise on a known cruise line looking for a known cruise experience, they'd pick Disney hands down any day.
    We took him at his word and to be perfectly honest, have absolutely no desire to experiment beyond Disney cruise line. We've discussed others. Priced others. Explored others. But we just can't bring ourselves to cruise with anyone else. Our experience on Disney has been that good. In fact, I'm currently pricing what will be our sixth Disney cruise. I'm sure someday I'll also be booking our seventh, eighth, ninth and tenth Disney cruises also.

Now, since this post represents what can be a touchy subject for some people, I feel obligated to include the following:

Your mileage may vary. :D

Tom ( :macwave:... :sail:)

4. Beccaberry

Hahahaha! You had me at "bar" ;)

Thanks for the insight, Tom, and for sharing your friend's insight as well, very helpful.

Meanwhile, I'll be adopting your disclaimer as my own.

5. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I still worry about the dining seating :( I'm just not sociable enough, I wish I was.

6. Beccaberry

Jon feels quite the way you do, Keith. That was what originally made the Norwegian Cruise Line so attractive to us, because you "opt out" of communal seating and choose to sit at a private table during meals. He's gotten better, he enjoys places like Biergarten in Germany (EPCOT) and has even become downright conversational from time to time...but I think ultimately, he still prefers to have the choice.

7. keith

I'm pretty awful. Christmas work do I ate nothing because I was trying desperately to make some kind of conversation with people and heck, I KNEW them :lol:

8. Beccaberry

Jon swears that he has an easier time making conversation with complete strangers than he does trying to make small talk with people he knows. Clearly this is a foreign concept to me :) so usually he just lets me do all the talking :)

9. keith

see this is why I need to be on the same table as you !

Beccaberry likes this.
  10. Beccaberry

Indeed! If only I weren't too shy to meet you! ;-)

11. keith

I know.. I hope one day to convince you ;-)

Beccaberry likes this.
  12. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

What is this shyness you speak of? I'll talk to anyone, anytime, anywhere about anything.

13. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

I'm exactly the same. Maybe we should all go together - we could talk Disney and cameras all evening long!

...Who am I kidding, we'd end up in Hooters!

Beccaberry likes this.
  14. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

I had written a long response to this post Keith. Of course, then I tried to add a couple of smilies and Safari tanked.

So it goes. I'll try again. :shrug:

To be perfectly honest, my DW and I felt pretty much the same way before our first DCL cruise. Given our choice, we'd much rather just dine by ourselves. We're comfortable with each other (of course), but strangers are a different story. However, with one exception, we've been very happy with our dining partners on all of our cruises.

In the interest of full disclosure, here's the story of the ones we weren't too fond of. On that cruise, we were seated with two other couples. A fairly young couple from Ohio and a retired couple from Florida. Both these couples seemed to get along just fine. We just never hit it off with either of them. For whatever reason, they just seemed a bit boorish for our tastes. They in turn, didn't seem to care whether we were around or not. We thought about going to Guest Services and changing tables but ended up just handling it ourselves. By a kind of unspoken mutual consent, we arranged our seating so that my DW and I were at the end of the table. Arranged that way, she and I could enjoy our own conversation while these other two couples kept to themselves at the opposite end of the table. Not ideal but it worked. This was on our second cruise.

The remaining four cruises have all been delightful. Here's how they stacked up.

Our first cruise, we were seated with two families. Each of which had a small child. The one family was from South America and spoke not a word of English. They kept pretty much to themselves when they were in the dining room at all. I don't know where they ate the remainder of the time. Perhaps Topsiders (the old buffet on the Magic) or cabin service. But they weren't around a whole lot. The other couple we hit if off quite well with. They were a gentleman, his wife and their 2 year old little boy. The gentleman was a Colonel in the USAF. He was also a physician. In his professional duties, he was the commanding officer of a medical team based at Patrick AFB, FL charged with providing medical crew care during any and all Shuttle operations. His team was located there in Florida at Patrick AFB as well as at Cape Canaveral. He also had team members on ships in the Atlantic as well as at Rota, Spain and several other locations during any Shuttle operations. Needless to say, conversation with him and his family was quite polite and thoroughly enjoyable. Even their little 2 year old was a charmer. Since we DW had just retired from a career as a kindergarten teacher, she found the little guy to be adorable.

The second cruise I described above.

The third cruise was interesting. There we were, seated at dinner, with a younger, recently married couple and some crazy Englishman and his charming DW. Said crazy Englishman was of course, our own Slowhand and his delightful wife Sue. Needless to say, this dining arrangement was a delight and one I'd gladly replicate any day.

The fourth cruise was, by mutual arrangement, again with Terry and Sue along with their friends from Los Angeles and their daughter. Once again, a delightful arrangement as I'm sure you can imagine.

The fifth (and so far, final) cruise was supposed to have been with Terry and Sue again along with you and Helen. Alas, that was not to be. So, we ended up seated at a table with two other couples of our same approximate age. After introductions we found that all of us were from the South (one from Hilton Head, SC and one from Augusta, GA) and so had some degree of commonality among us. As it turns out, they were both also excellent dining partners and hysterically funny. Jokes started flying among us at dinner until sometimes it become difficult to eat between fits of laughter. I'm sure the other folks around us thought us all quite insane. :mental:

So, even though my DW and prefer to dine by ourselves, we've found the majority of our DCL dining experiences to be quite enjoyable. If we ever did find ourselves in a situation that we considered untenable, we'd just trot ourselves over to Guest Services and get ourselves moved to another table.

If all else fails, there's always the buffet's or perhaps even Palo or Remy. One way or another, it can be worked out.

Tom ( :macwave:... where shall we eat? :dine:)

15. keith

Wooohoooo! :-D

Tony G likes this.
  16. keith

We HAVE to do something about the silly smilies :( I know that the forum software people are changing it somewhat in the next version but I'm not yet sure whether it's just the management of the smilies rather than how they're presented.

I think perhaps the best thing we can do right now is remove them all and just put back a core few smilies which are used a lot. At least then it wouldnt crash peoples' browsers

So it goes. I'll try again. :shrug:

yeah true :yes: I don't think we should let it put us off forever that's for sure