1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Calling All Mums

Discussion in 'Shopping & Other Activities' started by josh.p., Aug 4, 2008.

1. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

I need to buy my sister a present for the baby and a little something for her...

I want to get her the right thing, so I need to ask some questions..

firstly, what was the WORST pregnancy/baby gift you got?
    Secondly, What gift DIDN'T you get that would have been very handy?
    Thirdly, did you prefer the sensible presents (bottle sterilisers, changing mats) or did you prefer the cute-baby type presents (Teddys, blankies)

Hopefully I can pick something perfect

I saw some designer-type baby bags and I might get her one of those. They have bottle holders, changing mats and PVC diaper compartments in, but they look like designer handbags!

Josh
  2. SleepinCatz

SleepinCatz Fluffeh Disney Fan

The best gift ever was an inflatable baby bath. Since getting that one I give them to all Mommies to be...lol I find the ones shaped like rubber duckies. They have suction cups to hold them in blace and a spot that let's mommie know if the water temp is too hot. It is so much easier to carry that around when travelling than the hard ones. Worst gift for me was 8 silver banks...Mommy needs diapers, clothes, bottles...not 8 silver banks lol.

Best thing to do about bottles though is ask your Mom to find out what kind she wants. Not all bottles are the same. The things you need the most are diapers, diaper wipes and onesies.
  3. Britchick

Britchick Forum Host Forum Host

i personally wouldn't buy a bag because if she's anything like a lot of ladies she will want everything to match. I am sure that anything you buy her or the baby will be gratefully recieved. Why don't you buy something cute and disney for the baby?
  4. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

and lots of all in one suits of different sizes because the lil babes grow every flippin' week! A car baby seat would be a good gift... Mums tend to like to choose their own pram and bedding sets for the baby as they know what style they like. Maybe some Mothercare vouchers to help with the cost towards the big expensive items?
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  5. Claire

Claire She lost the crayons!

I know it's probably a little early for this Josh but one thing you could think about is buying a few daily papers on the day baby is born. Makes fascinating reading for when baby is older. For now how about a book of baby names?
  6. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

Worst present I had was stretch mark cream. :mad:

Best gifts I had were all the sensible things. Packs of nappies, basics like bodysuits - a new baby will go through 4 a day, sometimes more. And you can never have to many wipes. :D

Have a look on the Mothercare website. They have lists of what a newborn baby needs.
  7. Claire

Claire She lost the crayons!

I'll take that stretch mark cream if you've still got it!
  8. Dawn

Think it went to the charity shop. :lol:
  9. mumof2

mumof2 Serious Forum Regular

hmmm, i agree that the pram, changing bag, bedding etc is a personal choice.

i can't think of a 'worst' pesent, and we got pretty much everything we needed via family, friends and work colleagues - you know things like the baby bath, top 'n' tail bowl, steriliser, baby monitor, shawls, blankets......the list is endless!

all in one baby gro's are good, i had some lovely ones which were the same design in the 1st 3 sizes as they grow out of them so quickly! Might be an idea to get 0-3 months rather than newborn size - you never know how big bubba is going to be!

perhaps it would be a good idea to get Mum-to-be to make a list then choose from that Josh, that way you know your present will be just what she wants.

You could maybe get a keepsake for baby, like a globe or other ornament and maybe a piece of jewellery for Mum....

oooh i just remembered i got some lovely bath bubbles to pamper myself when i got the chance (which wasn't often!)
  10. Dawn

yeah good point, Steven was in the "newborn" size for 1 day. :lol: We borrowed that stuff from my brother and his wife. If you get clothing get 0-3 or even 3-6 months.

And of course Uncle Josh will be getting neice/nephew their very own Disney share. :wink:
  11. mumof2

1st DS just about fit into his stuff for 5 minutes when he was born, 2nd DS didn't even fit into the clothing we'd bought into hospital so DH had to rush back home to get some bigger stuff, while poor bubby was wrapped in a horrible hard blanket :oops:
  12. Grammiepo

Grammiepo Daisy Inspector

I think as a new uncle you need to get the baby a nice small soft toy, that can be kept for years to remember the gift given by the uncle and for your sister, something to make her feel pretty, new moms to be do not feel pretty, sick and build like a whale is more what I remember. So a new hair cut, something along that line.
  13. mumof2

ooh yeah, a haircut is an excellent idea!

of course all new babies MUST have soft toys Josh, the more the merrier! :lol:
  14. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

One of the gifts that I gave was a gold pendant in the shape of a heart (but you can get them in the shape of a little boy's head or a little girls'). I had the child's name and birthdate engraved on it, and had it suspended from a delicate gold chain. It was for the Mother, of course. :yes:

I've given car seats. Check the regulations, making sure you get one that will grow with the child as much as possible. I also purchased a car seat cover so that it could be easily removed and washed more frequently than the padded ones that come with the car seat.

I've given a stroller. Again, I chose a multifunction one that was easy for the parent to close up with one hand. :yes:

I've given bedroom sets (when I've known the decor/design that the Mom wanted). Curtains, sheets, blanket, quilt, scatter rug, pillow (for Mom, not baby) and receiving blankets all in coordinating design. Oh, and a bassinette skirt for that particular child.

I've given a high chair. One that will grow with the child is best. The one I purchased had adjustable legs so you could lower the seat portion nearly to the floor and the child could use the chair as a desk set up as well as a dining high chair. One with a seat that is adjustable is very nice too. Look them over carefully, and remember that they are going to have to be cleaned thoroughly on a regular basis. Avoid ones with unnecessary wells, holes, crevices, etc.

I've started bank accounts for little ones. I've given U.S. Savings bonds (do you have something like that there)?

I gave my niece a gold bangle bracelet with her name and birthdate engraved.

I've given a 'Mother's Starter Pack' that I created myself. Over the months of waiting I purchased anything I could imagine that a Mother might need for the baby. Little undershirts, packs and packs of diapers in different sizes, booties that couldn't be kicked off, sleeping gowns for when they are tiny new borns, sleepers, little outfits in different sizes, soft shoes, small blankets, baby bath products, bath products for Mom, a baby memory book, coupons for baby food, wipes, inserts for nursing bras (this particular Mom was nursing) a few soft toys, a teething ring ... as I said, anything I could think of. :yes:

I've given myself. :D Coupons for help with the house when baby is new, for babysitting when Mom/the parents needed to go somewhere, or wanted to go somewhere that baby shouldn't... oh, and suppers for a week (in one day coupons). Things like that.

There are nice baby healthcare kits out there too. I'd get one of those for a combination gift if I were doing it again. They have thermometers, nail clippers, syringe bulbs, little combs and brushes, things like that.

It will amaze you to see how much "stuff" a baby needs! How someone so tiny can need so much is beyond me, but it sure seems to play out that way every time!

One thing you may want to look for is a good consignment shop. Many things your sister will want new for the baby, but a good consignment shop can save hundreds of dollars through the early years and provide perfectly good (and high quality) merchandise for the baby. The key is the quality of the stuff on offer, of course.

Hope that helps a bit!
  15. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Best present I got was diapers! Huge boxes of diapers in sizes bigger than what they need now.

I tend to buy clothes cause I cannot resist them. I also buy clothes in bigger sizes since most everyone else will buy newborn or up to 3 months clothes.
  16. mumof2

ooooh this is exciting - we could do online shopping for you Josh......but you have to pay for it! :yes:
  17. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

LOL- I'm not giving out my Debit card number to anyone!! LOL I learnt that lesson when I witnessed Dorothy, Tink, Dawn, Isafari, and Wendy going on a shopping spree with keith's CC!!! LOL
  18. Disneybumble

Disneybumble The Secret is in the Sauce.

What a kind Uncle you are going to be.
    Best present A freezer full of meals .
    Worst present A china Shire horse. Mad Granny bought at a car boot, and very sadly it got smashed.
  19. Shellyamc

Shellyamc Serious Forum Regular

I think the best thing you can do is just be there for her :p015:

It is a gift that matches everything and always is just the right fit!

Pick things up at the store if she needs them
    Cook some meals for her and tuck some away for when the baby comes
    Help her to get the room and all the baby things ready
    It is a wonderful gift!!

Oh and since you are good with websites ask her how she would feel about putting up a baby site. Something very private that she can invite family and close friends to come and see so they could get updates and maybe sonogram pics etc.
  20. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

What a good idea!!