1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Calling All Mums

Discussion in 'Shopping & Other Activities' started by josh.p., Aug 4, 2008.

1. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

ooh thanks vikki, will get her some of that boots stuff- are the nappy sack refills expensive?

2. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

she might want to use real nappies. :wink:

3. josh.p.

I've begged her and begged her to concider them... I want to know though- how do you clean them? do they just go in the washing machine and do they stink out the house?

4. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

They go in the washing machine. I'd keep them in a lidded bucket until I got a load. You can get some really funky outer wraps for them now. None of those plastic pants that my mum had to use on us.

5. Jazmine

Jazmine Dancing Queen!

Oh my what some great inventions you get these days :yes: when my DSIL sister had her baby in April i made her up a basket with lots of little treats for her and the baby, and a 1st Mickey & Minnie soft toys
    im sure whatever you buy she will love it ;)
    Jacqui xxx

6. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

The Boots stuff really is wonderful!

The nappy wrapper refills aren't too expensive. A bit more than normal nappy sacks though. They have two types of cartridge that fits in them. There's a 0-6 month one which is about £3 and the 6month plus one which is about £4 (this is from Tesco anyway). You can often get 3 for 2 in Boots of them. One cartridge lasts me about three weeks or so, maybe more. They are superb!

7. josh.p.

I can't see her going for that- my mum is a real neat freak and cant see her wanting a box full of poo-ey nappies. She's stupid like that really, I know they won't smell- but she would be convinced that they smelt- she has a nose like a blood-hound!

That's cheaper than I thought and its good that they last for so long!

8. mainecoon lover

mainecoon lover Addicted to Mickey

The best gift i had when dd was born was a hamper full of baby products, talc, baby bath, cream etc. It saved me a fortune.

9. Vikki

Oh yes :) Most people I know with a baby has one now and wouldn't be without it (the baby and the wrapper :lol: )

10. cathydisneynut

cathydisneynut Imagineer

scratch mitts, a newborn's fingernails are soooo long!

11. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

I thought about you today Josh...I just found out my cousin is having a baby GIRL! (she's due in November) and I had a ball at this local MEGA store called Baby Superstore...OMG....it was like the Home Depot of baby stuff....I just kept spinning in circles like a ninny! You should have come with me, we'd have had a great time!

12. PoohBearsMum

PoohBearsMum Earning my ears

I think a lot of the items suggested, such as prams, car seats, nursery decor, are very personal choices for a parent and I would check with your sister exactly what she wants before you get it. I know I did loads of research on these items before I bought them for my babies, and I would have been a bit disappointed if someone had bought me something different.

I have to disagree with Vikki about the nappy wrapper thing (sorry Vikki!). We had one given to us and used it briefly but found it didn't keep the smells in at all and it was much better just to get the smelly nappies out of the house and into the bin immediately!

The best gift I got for my baby was from www.babyblooms.co.uk They make up baskets of little clothes and other gifts for the baby but fold them to look like a bouquet of flowers. They are gorgeous and I have sent them to all my friends with new babies since. They come in different sizes depending how much you want to spend and are gorgeous and practical and really different. The Burts Bees products they do are also superb for Mum and baby. They are all chemical free and natural and are the only thing that controls my daughter's eczema without using steriod cream.

For the Mum, I would get some vouchers for pampering sessions like a facial or massage and include them with some babysitting vouchers from yourself, so you can give her some 'me time' when she needs it. That is a priceless gift to a tired new mum and will give you some valuable bonding time with your gorgeous new nephew!

Hope that helps.

13. Vikki

Hehehe, oh dear, perhaps Ben isn't as fragrant as we thought :lol: At least they're on sale in most places now, so at least if you don't like it, you've not wasted much :)

14. josh.p.

My sister's friend has a lovely baby called reese (who we took to the aquarium) and when he was a new born she bought the nappy wrapper thingy and it STUNK.
    She switched to the inserts for 3 months + and they stopped stinking!
    The newborn bags are un-scented or not-heavily scented, so they let smell out, but the ones for 3 months + are heavily scented... do they start on actual baby food rather than milk around that time?

15. Vikki

Ah that could be it then. We used the 0-6 month ones which were free then started using the 6 month plus when Ben was about 3 months old. Babies start eating solids around 4 months old, ish, but it's a very personal choice. When I say solids, I mean baby rice, which you mix with milk, and it just looks like thick milk :lol:
    This was Ben's first attempt!
    [​IMG]

Then it's into puree, carrot etc. It's amaxing how much fun you can have with a blender :lol: