1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Calling for Christmas cookies!!

Discussion in 'Other Recipes' started by Shellyamc, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Shellyamc

Shellyamc Serious Forum Regular

I thought it was the time of year for this section to shine :thumbsup:

What cookies remind you of Christmas growing up?
    What cookies could you not live without?
    What cookies do you make every year?

Share share share!!
    :xmasfood:
  2. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Ginger snaps are my favorite cookie. I would give up any others if I could just have those.

I make my grandma's Christmas Rock cookies every year. Mike and my dad would have a fit if I didn't.

Hmm other than the Christmas Rocks I don't think anything reminds me of Christmas. Well fudge and divinity candy do but those aren't cookies.
  3. Shellyamc

Ok very good :hug2:

Now we want a recipe for Christmas rock cookies :D
  4. Johnie

That I can do :yes:

Johnie Mae's Christmas Rock Cookies

Ingredients:

1 cup butter
    1 ½ cups sugar
    3 eggs
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    2 tablespoons hot water
    1 pound raisins
    1 pound nuts (usually use walnuts)
    1 pound dates
    1 tablespoon cloves
    Pinch salt
    3 cups plain flour
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    ½ cup candied cherries or mixed fruit for fruit cake (i use green and red candied cherries for color)

Directions:

Cream butter and sugar, add eggs and blend well. Dissolve the baking soda in the hot water. Add to creamed mixture. Add raisins,nuts, dates, cloves, salt, flour and the cinnamon mixed together then add candied cherries. Add this mixture to the creamed mixture. Drop by teaspoons full on cookie sheets. Bake at 350 degrees for 5-8 minutes
  5. Shellyamc

Wow! Those sound really good! I may have to add that to my list :yes:
  6. Johnie

They are very good. Mom says they remind her of fruitcake....but I don't like fruitcake and I love these cookies.

You've got to put some muscle in mixing all those ingredients though. I've actually broken a couple of mixers making them :nono:
  7. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

they sound good Johnie. I won a fruit cake last week and i love it! didn't used to but now with a cup of tea every afternoon! yum
  8. Mags

Mags Serious Forum Regular

Those sound great Johnie! Yum.I might give those a go. They sound like they have everything in them that I like in Xmas baking. I think in the UK our Christmas baking traditions are different. I am in full swing baking mince pies and shortbread. The Christmas fruit cakes and Christmas puddings are made and maturing away.
    I am going to do some great American recipes for Xmas this year though - not particularly Xmassy but great all the same. My latest two discoveries are the Carrot cake 111 recipe from the Allrecipes site. I cant tell you how fantastic this recipe is. It has been asked for for Xmas. it is to die for - so moist and umptious.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Carrot-Cake-III/Detail.aspx

These are going to be made on Xmas Eve too

http://www.dyannbakes.com/index.php?post_category=brownie

Never tasted such great brownies. Nigellas dont even come close.

I might make some fudge or truffles as they always go down well at Xmas time too. Some more recipes would be great!

Margaret
  9. Johnie

Oh I love a good carrot cake.

I've been making figgy pudding each Christmas since I got it into my head that I needed to know just exactly what a figgy pudding is. It's quite good.
  10. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Growing up? Mama didn't make cookies. :D She make "My {her} Christmas Cakes." :D :D

They are sorta, kinda like a fruit cake, but she used only raisins and walnuts. Essentially it was a sweet dough made with wine (zinfandel :D ). She lined a pie plate with it, then took more of the same, rolled it out, filled it with the raisin and nut mix, rolled it up and cut slices. She'd then put the slices in the layer of dough in the pie plate and tie a string around the outside of the lining dough to hold it together. When they were nearly baked through she'd ladle (and I do mean ladle!) on honey. When they were done she'd sprinkle them with nonpareils.

She also made strufoli. Little bits of sweet dough that she'd roll into a small (long) rope and cut into bits. She'd fry the dough, then layer them to form a Christmas tree shape. They held their shape due to more honey. :D And sprinkles of nonpareils went on those too. :D :D

She made pies for dessert too.

When I got older I used to make zillions of cookies. Then one fine year in the mid-80s, I used a sugar that wasn't pure cane. I've not done Christmas cookies (at that level) since! :eek: Now, I just do a few tried and true, and use cane sugar.

Herself is the true cookie baker in our house!! :yes: She'll be making molasses, chocolate chip, oatmeal raisin, linzer (those are mine :D ) shortbread (again, for moi :D aren't I lucky) sugar (cut out into Christmas shapes and frosted) and ... I can't remember them all!

I'll make pumpkin pie. :yes: Shellyamc's peanut butter blossoms, fudge, fudgie scotch ring... and a couple of other things.

Herself is also making a 'to die for' chocolate torte for Christmas dinner, and a pecan pie. She's making caramel pecan sticky buns for Christmas breakfast. :D

I'll make rolls and bread and sausage (hot Italian) roll...

We'll have a grand time cooking it all and stuffing our guests. :D :lol: It's not like we can eat it. :sigh:

One thing that is very Christmas in Mama's house is homemade hot coca (not from a mix) in Santa mugs. Someone always gave us homemade Christmas cookies so we had those too. That's Mama's house. They still do it. :yes:

Mama always made a mince pie for my Grandfather. He loved it.

Eeeesh! I ramble. :sorry:
  11. Johnie

mmm what date and time is dessert Tink? I shall be there with bells on!
  12. Tink

K. You'd be more than welcome. :yes:

Oh! Meant to ask. Are your cookies soft, or crisp? :unsure:
  13. Johnie

They tend to be soft and chewy. I don't particularly care for crisp cookies (except for the ginger snaps).

I don't usually have much of a sweet tooth but Christmas seems to be the exception to the rule.

Oh! I meant to ask....what is Shelly's recipe? I must have missed that somewhere.
  14. Tink

Same here. I like soft cookies but for the linzer and the shortbread. Shelly gave me the recipe several year ago. :yes:

I'm not truly much of a sweets person either. Fat now? That's a different story. :D :D

But Christmas makes things taste better. :D :lol:
  15. Johnie

:tongue: I always joke that I have a fat tooth! Five me something crunchy, salty and full of fat and I am a happy camper. Potato chips are a particular weakness.....

Shelly, please share the recipe.
  16. Tinker

Tinker Earning my ears

My favorite has always been the original Toll House Cookie
    I bake those, Peanut Butter, Hershey Kiss cookies, those rolled up nut cookies ( can't remember what they are called, but its a Jewish recipe ) they are great . Cutout cookies and red velvet cupcakes with cream chesse icing that I make from scratch . Oh and Banana Nut Breads .
    My cookies are soft also as I use Land of Lakes Butter in everything .
    No wonder my cholestral is 279 . The doctor says I'm a heart attack waiting to happen .
    Well, you know what ? I stopped smoking, rarely drink and just live a boring life . So, I eat good . I told the doctor, we all have to die of something . LOL
  17. Tink

Dry spicy sausage like sopressata, bread, olives... I have gone to heaven. Nuts of almost any sort... that sort of thing. :yes: :D :D I LOVE pepperoni and cheese! :yes:
    Ooooh, and baked brie. :yes: Any cheese nearly... (not a huge fan of cheddar).

I'm not so thrilled with potato chips. They've never been a favorite. Buttery, salty popcorn now. Stand back! :D

:oops: Derailing. :sorry:
  18. Johnie

oh my grandma makes the best red velvet cake.....mmmmmm
  19. Johnie

oh god I am a glutton for some cheese. I do love a nice sharp cheddar. I don't think I've met a cheese I didn't like.

Oh yes and nuts are wonderful.....at least they are a good fat. My absolute favorite nut is the Brazil nut, then the cashew, then macadamia, I could go on and on :tongue:
  20. Tinker

Tinker Earning my ears

OK, I'm hungry now . I love all these treats you mentioned Sister Tink .