Camera Crisis

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by Clarkkent, May 30, 2015.

1. Clarkkent

Clarkkent Well-Known Member

Sign Language Interpreter
    Calling all gadget geeks!

We're having a little bit of a camera crisis.

We bought a Nikon D7100 last June in readiness for our trip to WDW last year. I also decided to up the fun by getting a GoPro Hero3+.
    Both are brilliant. The GoPro literally fits in your pocket.
    The Nikon takes absolutely amazing pics, even with the kits lens (18-105mm). It is however an absolute beast. My camera bag (which holds the camera and the second lens (70-200mm)) in total weighs 3.5kg.
    I carried that around a couple of times last year. After a few hours I felt I was carrying a small child around.

Now - Jeffers is off to Istanbul in 8 weeks. He doesn't want to be wandering around looking like a lost tourist with a massive D7100, so is looking for a mid-range compact that offers the same quality picture image as a DSLR but without the weight and hopefully pocket, or a least man-bag sized.

Cue a trip to Jessops this afternoon and now left in a quandry:

Cheap(ish) and cheerful Panasonic Lumix TZ70. Does what you want, has an optical zoom (not digital bleurgh). Fits in your pocket. Lovely.
    Next being thrust into our faces was the rather pretty looking Lumix GX7 - interchangeable lenses, still pretty much man-bag sized.
    Bridge camera was next - FZ1000 - apparently does stuff in 4K, and does everything you need at the touch of a button- but it's almost the same size as a full blown DSLR.
    At the top end of the range is a rather fancy looking Panasonic GH4 - shoots video in 4k from which you can extract photographic stills at 8.8MPS - looks rather impressive. Photograph image quality also amazing. The price however isn't. Future proof, will last ten years, look at it as an investment - all that jazz - but given we started off with a budget of about £250, this thing suddenly takes us to over £1300.

Help please? Anyone ever use the above? Any suggestions/ideas for good mid-range compacts that will cover both a trip to Istanbul but also last us for Florida, taking pictures of Wishes etc?

Thankin'ewe

S
    x

2. keith

keith Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Home Page:
    so many possible answers :)

Even I don't carry around full sized DSLRs any more!

So... what's most important to you?

1. enormous zoom?
    2. moderate zoom, but much smaller package which works just like a dslr but smaller?
    3. fed up of it all and want a pocketable one

Finally... what do you use the photos for? web/facebook only with occasional thoughts about printing an a4? or do you have designs on printing a huge canvas for your house :)

3. Clarkkent

Zoom for me not so important as I can use photo editing software to zoom/crop, so personally I would prefer the best sensor/lens combo possible but that usually involves the most amount of money.
    Having lugged around the dslr for years it would also be lovely to have something that's not a burden and is light as possible.

Generally we choose the best photos from our holiday and print them A4 and stick them on the wall. Canvas is a good idea though so I assume that a decent megapixel size is crucial?

4. sarah

sarah New Member

Gawsh! I only every use my I phone to take pictures now! I don't even have a camera anymore x

5. keith

Home Page:
    yep... more and more people are doing this and let's be honest, if the photos are destined for web/facebook/youtube then the quality is good enough and the ease of getting the photos where you want them is superb!

When I was learning photography, I remember being told to look at the size/weight of a lens as an indicator of quality. After all, you can't have good low light without a large enough aperture and that means loads of glass etc. So, how the heck the phone cameras have got to be so good is just truly amazing!

At the small end of the camera market, I truly don't think there's any point over a camera phone these days. It's really if you want to have a more special requirement or want a bit better quality

6. keith

Home Page:
    well I reckon 12-16MP is absolutely fine for that kind of size. Some models boast about more MP but then the lenses aren't good enough to resolve the detail anyway in some of them.

My personal choice right now for a DSLR experience and for most purposes, quality, without the size/weight is either the olympus or fuji range.

I mean, if you wanted to ditch that heavy kit altogether and trade in for what I believe is the best small mirrorless kit out there, have a look at the Olympus http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus-OM-...5?ie=UTF8&qid=1433097572&sr=8-5&keywords=em-5

There are several different models including the slightly older (and half the cost now) E-M5 Mark I and they all weight a fraction of a DSLR and I can personally commend them for their quality.

If you don't mind about interchangeable lenses and that DSLR feel/options, then they do a great range of compacts too.

Just don't go.... TOO mad about downsizing because as per another post, there comes a time when you've stripped away so much that you may as well have just used your phone

7. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou Makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Chris was looking at the TZ70 a while ago. He wanted something that was small with a good zoom and the thing he liked about this one was that it worked well in low light as well.

He never bought it though :lol: He's another one that is fed up with carrying his big Canon round the parks, he thinking about not even taking it this year.

8. Clarkkent

Quick update: after weeks of interrogating hapless shop assistants the camera that was bought was ..... (Drumroll). The Panasonic LUMIX FZ1000. Bridge camera, 30x optical zoom, 20mps and shoots video in 4k. From that video you can then take 12mp stills so you have a chance of getting a photo you want rathe than missing something because you were too slow.
    All indications are that it's a pretty nifty camera. But it's not small/compact.

9. Tink

Tink Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Well, sometimes you go with performance. Sometimes you go with the wee bit, eh?