1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

can an ipad last a whole flight?

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by chipndale, Jan 1, 2011.

1. chipndale

chipndale Imagineer

techy question, can an ipad last for a whole 9 hr flight watching videos and playing games??

If so, is the only way to get videos on there to buy them from itunes?

2. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

I think it could last for most, if not the whole flight to be honest! A lot of planes now also have power points that you could use. You can buy videos from iTunes or any other video files you have on your computer can be put into iTunes. Obviously some will need converting to a different format though. :)

3. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Probably not the whole flight. Apple and most testers have indicated a 10 to 11 hour batter life for the iPad. However, Gizmodo did an iPad battery test (article here) that only let them get about 5 hours and 45 minutes of constant use between movies and graphics intensive games.

However, the real question would be are you planning on playing on your iPad the whole flight. Won't you be taking time out for eating, conversation, perhaps a nap? If so, then the capacity that Gizmodo shows may be adequate. But if that's not enough, there are external battery packs available that can recharge your iPad batteries. If you're willing to pay the price.

As far as movies on the iPad are concerned, what kind of movies are you talking about. DVD's?

Tom :)macwave:... probably...)

4. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I wondered about this too until our december flights. A friend loaded a ton of movies onto my ipad for the flight and since there was nothing good on the plane's system I thought I'd try watching them.

It lasted the whole flight watching films, I didn't eat the awful meals or anything else so it really was a full 8 hours, and still had plenty of juice left by the time I got off!

I don't know if it's typical, or if it's that I havent used the ipad very much or if I had the brightness down or what, but I was incredibly impressed by it!

5. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Cool! :thumbsup:

What kind of battery capacity did you have left after the flight Keith?

Tom :)macwave:... just wondering...)

6. keith

Ach :( I don't remember exactly. I want to say just less than 20% which I agree sounds incredibly high. All I can say is that I wasn't at all bothered or worried that it wouldn't last, it was ALWAYS high enough that I knew I'd be fine.

7. malcolm

malcolm Villa Owner

We got a power gorilla that we use for the flights it's a very useful power supply, they do a smaller one called power monkey.

8. keith

Just to add, as I said, I charged the ipad fully the day we left Orlando. Used it solidly through the 8 hour flight to watch movies etc. I had left it in my carry on since the day we got home (17th December).

Came to it today expecting to see it completely dead and it had 31% battery left!

It's a completely amazing device battery wise in my experience