1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Can i upload

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by mainecoon lover, Sep 5, 2009.

1. mainecoon lover

mainecoon lover Addicted to Mickey

Can i upload a dvd on to my ipod.
  2. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

If it's a non-protected DVD, you can use something like:

to convert it to a format that will work on a video capable iPod. :thumbsup:

If it's a protected DVD (like a major studio release), you're probably out of luck. Their DRM scheme usually prevents copying. :thumbsdown:

Tom :)macwave:... I'm copy protected, but I'm getting over it!)
  3. mainecoon lover

Oh thanks. Was thinking of putting mama mia on it for beth to watch on the flight. So possibly out of luck :(
  4. catrancher

Actually, I found a way of doing this fairly easily. I'll tell you about it tomorrow. I'm too sleepy tonight.

Tom :)macwave:... yawn)
  5. catrancher

Ok. Promised I'd tell so here it is!

There is a application called "Hand Brake". There are versions for all major operating systems including Mac OS X. Don't ask me why it's called "Hand Brake", I have no idea! :unsure:

Anyway, go get a copy of it. The homepage is here:
    Hand Brake homepage

and the direct download link for the Mac OS X version is here:
    Download for Mac OS X

Once you've downloaded, your system should automatically mount it and open a window with two things in it; the Hand Brake application and a folder called docs.
    • Now, open another Finder window (File->New Finder Window), and in that new window, click on the "Applications" shortcut on the left hand side of the window.
    • In the Applications folder, let's create a new folder that we can put this Hand Brake thing into (File->New Folder).
    • Rename this new folder to Hand Brake and then open it. This should give you two windows open; one that's the Hand Brake folder we created and the Hand Brake window that has the application in it.
    • Select both the application and the docs folder and drag them to the new Hand Brake folder we created.
    I know, sounds more complicated than it really is. Sorry. :mental:

Anyway, now that we've got Hand Brake installed, do this:
    • Insert your DVD into your computer. When you do, the DVD player will start automatically. Quit out of it. We won't need it.
    • Now double click on the Hand Brake application we just installed. This will start Hand Brake.
    • It will present you with a window and an "open file" dialog. Click on your DVD in the open file dialog. It should be on the upper left side. This should cause Hand Brake to open your DVD and start reading the contents.
    • Once it's done that (be patient, it will take a little while), there's a button in the upper right hand corner of the Hand Brake window that says "Toggle Presets". Click on that until the little drawer window is visible on the left hand side of the main window.
    • Now click on the little disclosure triangle next to the word Apple. This will show you the Apple presets.
    • Cllick on the iPod one. Or the iPhone and iPod touch one depending on what model of iPod you've got.
    • Once you've done that, just press the "Start" button in the upper left hand corner of the window. This will start the encoding process.

It will take a while for it to run. Maybe an hour or more. But once it's done, you should have a file that you can import into iTunes and put on your iPod.

The only real caveat to this whole thing is that if you've got the wide screen version of the movie, it will still be wide screen when you're done and may look kind of smallish on the iPod screen. Looks great on my computer though. :thumbsup:

Hope this helps. If it's not clear enough, let me know and I'll put together a video that shows all the steps.

Tom :)macwave:... just trying to help!)
  6. mainecoon lover

Thanks Tom, will give it a go tomorrow :)
  7. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Will that work with any video then? (DVD I mean)? :unsure: So I could use it with my DVDs of a series... :unsure:
  8. catrancher

I think it should. Your mileage may vary. Give it a try. The software's free. :yes:

Tom :)macwave:.... if it's free, it's for me!)