1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Can we split a main course?

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by Deb, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Deb

Deb Serious Forum Regular

We both love good steak and want to have a couple of them while we are over there, but having looked at the menus the size of the steaks is ridiculously huge!!!! Is it acceptable in some if the higher end restauarants to order one between us with extra sides, or is that frowned on? There is NO way we can eat anything bigger than an 8oz! I know you can at the less formal places, but not sure of the etiquette at places like YSH, Shula's, Mortons, Capital Grille etc :unsure:
  2. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

We have done it in some places before but not the ones you have quoted - it has been known because of portion size and beverage size as well for us to order from the kids menu :lol:
  3. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

You could always ask for a doggy bag to take your uneaten steak with you after your meal...a sandwich for the following day maybe?
    This is a widely accepted practice in the US at all the restaurants.
  4. Deb

Deb Serious Forum Regular

Slowhand, if we were staying in a villa we'd do this, but we really don't want to get into preparing any kind of food in our hotel room. It seems such a waste to have to order such a huge amount of meat that we can't eat.

Skywatcher, maybe we will stick to kid's meals too :lol:...we love our food but we don't eat the portions that are offered there!
  5. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

You most absolutely can do that. We've done it, and at the higher end restaurants.

Generally, we (ok, I) explain to the server that we are going to order for the table. We order one main entree (meat course) and sides and ask for two small plates to be brought. We then serve ourselves from the plates. Not once have we had problems.

The French particularly don't mind. :D
  6. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

Aw that's cool to know Tink because I'm going to have *issues* if I can't do this now.
  7. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Disney has been great about sharing letting us share meals. At home, we just usually take home a doggie bag but at Disney that isn't an option. I haven't encountered a charge for splitting a plate at Disney. Some fancier places do charge. I noticed in NYC they typically charge for that.

The ONLY places I have ever seen that have a NO sharing policy are the Japanese steakhouses. If you're sitting at the teppanyaki table, you must order your own meal.
  8. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

I can only imagine what you guys must feel if you come over here - being charged dounle for less than half the portion size :eek:
  9. Tink

You can't share at a buffet either, of course. :) You both will have to pay for your dinners at the full price. :yes:

I didn't so much mind the cost, Skywatcher as Herself minded the burnt to a crisp lamb! :lol: Truly inedible. It seems the chef burnt the lamb and then tried to cover it up with sauce. Didn't work too well. The manager was quite nice, offered a replacement... (she refused... :unsure: ) but he did offer...

We just had a conversation about this last evening; how we found the food in Ireland. We liked it well enough (minus the lamb fiasco) with me particularly liking the mussels. The people we were dining with said they found the food horrid. :unsure: Never did say where they ate.

We liked some of the simpler things, the lovely sandwiches on the wicked bread! :yes:

We don't ask to share an entree so much as order for the table. A subtle difference but it sets a bit of a different tone to the meal. Can't quite explain it... :unsure:

Usually one meat bearing entree, and then a huge salad (we'll ask for it to be made larger if the menu description isn't sufficient) with a couple of sides. If there are nice appetizers, like a cheese or charcuterie (as in France's Chef du France) plate we'll order that too.

It really does work out well.

Upstairs in France (Bistro de Paris) the server suggested we share the degustation menu. Thank heaven because that meal was ENORMOUS!!! We had all we could do to share it!

So you see? It really is quite ok. :yes:
  10. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

I'll be sharing with Steven because no way will he eat hot dog and fries for 2 weeks. He already orders from adult menus over here because he doesn't like the children's options available. He wants sushi not chicken nuggets. :eek:
  11. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I've never considered "ordering for the table" before, that makes a lot of sense and sounds much better than "can we share one meal?"

yes, I think we'll be trying that next time!
  12. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

I bet you won`t dare trying it at V & A`s though. :lol:
  13. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

you're not wrong there ;) :laugh:
  14. Tink

No, I'd not do it at V&A's. If you say it rather matter of factly with one of those "but of course" smiles on your face (and say it, "pour la table" with a hint of French inflection :lol: ) it works like a charm.

Excellent service and a pretty table filled with nice choices to boot. :D :D