1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Can we talk about renting DVC points (again)?

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by Beccaberry, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

I know we've discussed the topic a time or two, but I'm giving this serious consideration for our trip in Sept/Oct, and I'd appreciate any thoughts/advice you have on the subject.

A few details:
    We'd like to rent at either Boardwalk Villas or Beach Club Villas. We're currently booked at Beach Club on a bounceback offer, so basically I'm looking to see if renting points and paying oop for food would be more cost effective than the bounceback offer we have (rack rate at BC + free dining), or the "hoped for" 30% room only discount that has historically been offered at this time (though not guaranteed).

TIA, guys!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
    uscwest likes this.
  2. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

We've been contemplating this also for our trip next year when there is a good chance we may have our 17 year old grandson as well as two nine year olds (1 boy, 1 girl).

3. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

Oooh Boardwalk!! Cool! We loved our stay there. We had a small kitchenette in our room. Could save a bit and cook (ok reheat if you will) at your BWV home. When we stayed there it was right after opening and we were not part of the DVC.

4. Beccaberry

Well, we splurged for the Beach Club last October, and on the second day Jon sighed heavily and when asked what the matter was he said, "I'm spoiled. It's only day 2 and I'm already spoiled."

I have always been a staunch supporter of the value resorts, maintaining that they served our purposes more than adequately, and I still believe that. We have always been intrepid park goers, so for us, our resort room was just that - a room. A shower. An electrical outlet. But now (as we have ALL gotten a bit older) we have found value in location and in lazy days by the pool. And, although there will always be a place for Pop Century and the All Stars in our lives, we do enjoy the deluxe resorts - I just don't enjoy paying for them :) Yes, I'll admit it - I'm frugal. It's hard for me to justify spending $3500 for a "room" for a week.

Enter DVC rental points.

After doing some research, if I can snag a Beach Club Villa studio, we'd pay (by contrast) a mere $1391 for the same week! If we can score a room at Boardwalk Villas, that cost drops to $1014!

It's silly not to at least pursue it, right?

5. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

You should definitely look into it, if there is that much saving you will be silly not to.

I don't think you can get free dining with a DVC rental though.

6. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

No you cannot get free dining with a DVC rental. However I do believe you can purchase the dining plan.

I say that with the caveat that I know practically nill about DVC. But we were given 2 stays last year and were able to purchase the dining plan with both.

7. Wendy

Yes, it's true that Annual and Florida Passholders and DVC can purchase the dining plan.

8. Beccaberry

Well. I did it. I took the plunge and sent an inquiry to the company that came most highly recommended during my research...

I'll let you know how it goes!

9. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

I think they rent points for 12-13 dollars a point. I could check how many points it would take for your stay if you wish.
    However, you would have to book asap as the 7month window is approaching and Ive read its impossible to book The Beach Club at 7 months, especially durong F&W

10. Beccaberry

Thanks for the great advice, Mari (and the offer to check on points!), and you're absolutely right RE: the 7 month window.

Here's the update for those following along with any interest:

I've taken what may (but is unlikely to) become a bit of gamble.

In my research, there were three brokers that seemed to receive consistently high marks in service. I eliminated one as he was located in Canada, and I didn't want to pay extra fees for international charges - which left me with two. I placed a $120 deposit with one broker who found availability at the Boardwalk for all but our last night. If he can secure that reservation, I'll happily pay out of pocket for a room at either the Beach Club, Yacht Club or Boardwalk for that one night. If he is unable to secure the points rental, he will refund my $120 and I'm out nothing but a bit of time and research.

After some thought, I also made the decision to submit a request with the other broker. This particular broker does not require an initial deposit - only one at booking - so I'm not losing anything by having them both check. His prices are a bit higher ($14/point vs. $13/point) but I'd be more than willing to pay that if he can secure a room for us. The second broker also allows you to make payments on your points rental (with final payment due 45 days out), the first broker requires full payment at time of booking.

So here's the tricky part...if the second broker responds to me before the first broker with an offer, I will accept it. But...if the first broker then comes back and is ALSO able to secure a room - I'm either on the hook for two rooms, or I lose the $120 initial deposit.

The reality of it all though is this - I actually don't expect either to find availability this late. Next year I will know to start earlier. So, at worst this is a learning experience. And, if they were both to come back with rooms, we have friends joining us for the last half of our trip and they have already said they would be MORE than happy to take the second room. And worst case scenario - I'll eat the $120.

There ya go. Clear as muddy water?

I'm a bit nervous about the whole process - so much so that I actually googled "DVC Rental bad experiences" just to see what could possibly go wrong. Thankfully, there aren't a TON of them, and most arise from private transactions vs. broker transactions.

The top 4 things I've learned so far:
    • Use a broker (or a DVC owner you KNOW)
    • Pay using a major credit card (so that if something goes wrong you have *some* manner of recourse)
    • Check the reservation (often) through the Disney reservation system
    • Book early, be flexible and BE PATIENT

11. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

i shall be watching closely to see what happens...

Beccaberry likes this.
  12. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

Me too. I just don't understand rental. Will the rental be in your name or with the point owner?

Beccaberry likes this.
  13. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

The rental is in your name but it will have the owners name attached to it.

Beccaberry likes this.
  14. Wendy

This is definitely something to think about, but I think I would miss the villa :sigh:

Beccaberry likes this.
  15. Beccaberry

I can understand that, especially given the length of your stay. For us, this would be the best of both worlds, I think - the joy of being onsite and a bit of extra room to move about - all at a price I'm not palpitating over :)

16. Wendy

It might be nice to have a few nights stay in the middle of the holiday though.

17. Beccaberry

True! For now, I'm cautious to endorse anyone/thing completely until I see it played out fully. But so far, so good!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  18. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

Lots and lots of people have done this successfully, you have done your research and I'm sure it will be fine :)

19. Wendy

.........................and we are all waiting with baited breath to see how it works out :) and then you will be the Secret's official DVC rental whiz kid :D

20. Beccaberry

HAHAHA!! OOOH! What a fun title!