1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

can we use a tripod in the parks?

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by Disfan, Apr 27, 2010.

1. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

ooo if you havent tried it, you have to ! :yes:

It's a technique where you take several photos of the same scene at different exposures and then combine them later in an application.

This gives a far greater range of tones than would ordinarily be possible!

If you push it too far you get some very scifi looking effects but done well it can really make a photo pop and you end up thinking wow theres something amazing about that but I dont quite know what :lol: and its just the range of lights/darks.

The Magic of Disney on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

2. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

hmm interesting - some of that guys pics are phenominal - some leave me cold can't quite say why - guess thats art though.

I wonder if I can use anyof my astro stacking and layering software to do something similar :unsure:

3. keith

Now see, thats very interesting and as you say, that's art!

A while back Britchick showed me some from a guy who does this technique at Disney and I said the same. Can appreciate them but don't necessarily FEEL anything when I look at them. Perhaps because something about them looks slightly unnatural so it doesn't transport me back to Disney in my mind? Don't know but yeah, interesting.

Maybe! I dont know anything about the stacking stuff really but in my mind it feels like a different technique from tone mapping. the main software used is HDR photo software & plugin for Lightroom, Aperture & Photoshop - Tone Mapping, Exposure Fusion & HDR Imaging for photography although photoshop can do it and cs5 has even more support for it!

I'll tell you one place in Disney which would work well with it, the wedding pavilion. The inside is relatively dark compared to looking out through the window at the castle (although they've cleverly tried to balance out the light for photos somewhat). An HDR of that would be able to catch the detail inside as well as the view through the window

4. Skywatcher

Yeah I think I'd be able to have a crack at it - when taking a picture of something like the orion nebula the core is actuially very bright and the periophery very dark so you need to take many shots of each of the different areas to get the exposure right and then try and blend them all in together by very carefully adjusting the layers.

Entirely agree about the emotion, the one of his I liked was the ice in the water - the point of photography ( without widhing to sound pretentious and probably failing) to my naive mind is to try and capture the world around me and demonstrate it in a way that really makes you look at it properly and give it some thought. I think there is more beauty in the 'real' than the 'processed' - and I don't mean enhanced or tweaked as I am fully aware that a camera produces its best guess anyway.

Gawd I've just read that back and it sounds awful :lol:

5. disney1sttimer

disney1sttimer Earning my ears

Is there a starter forum for those of us who forget how to use the disposable disney cameras :lol:

6. Skywatcher

yea sorry that was a bit self indulgent wasn't it :)

7. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Tell that to Ansel Adams! :taunt:

Course, you'll have to host a seance to make that happen. :unsure:

Seriously. Keep in mind that until the advent of digital photography, most of these kind of effects weren't even possible. Perhaps as time goes on, we''ll become more acclimated to them and accept them more as valid art forms.

I certainly believe there's a lot of talent being exhibited in the making of these. I think that if I tried to do them, I'd come out with something that looked almost exactly but not quite like burned pancakes. :laugh2:

Tom :)macwave:... photographically challenged!)

8. Skywatcher

ach I didn't mean I don't respect or appreciate it, its just not my cup of tea - my first thought on seeing that MGM image was 'wow' - but it was quickly followed by 'meh'

as Keith said it didn't transport me to MGM and evoke happy memories

Thats the problem with art, its very subjective.

And what is possible with digital photography continues to astound and amaze me, with each passing day I have more and more respect for anyone that used film as a medium

9. catrancher

That's where my amazement comes in! The things some of the film photographers have done is absolutely amazing seeing as how they went into a dark room, played with various liquids and fluids, used miscellaneous gizmos like enlargers, timers, red lights, dodge and burn tools and managed to stink up the room and still came out with stunning works of art! All without any feedback at all till they were completely done!

Hardly like today when we can take 1,000 exposures of the same thing, review them on our cameras or iPads, import them into Photoshop and fix them then and there. All without the slightest adverse odors!

Yep! Gives me new respect for the film photographers! :thumbsup:

Tom :)macwave:... amazing progress!)

10. keith

To be honest, I miss the film days.

The first digital SLR I saw was in the hands of a news photog and I think it was about 25k worth.

Some years later, Nikon announced the D1 for about 4k and I put my name down in every camera store for miles and phoned them every day to get one. For me, it was the natural marriage of my computer addiction and photography. I knew I'd love it.

I do of course love it. The instant feedback and not having to send things off to be processed/lost etc.

HOWEVER, there are things I miss about film.

1. I was mainly a 35mm film guy, even on that, the "sensor", the negative, was 35mm whether you had a cheaper manual camera like me or a mega expensive pentax. There was none of this ok heres a cheaper smaller sensor. At the end of the day you used the same film pros used although your lenses may be a bit cheaper :lol: (later of course they did bring in smaller negatives like aps but they never did very well in SLRs)

2. Slides! Slides were great! Getting them back, projecting them onto a wall or reviewing in a little handheld.... I miss slides

3. having actual printed photos and/or slides. Physical objects that werent lost when the hard disk crashed and were always there to look at

4. there's a feel to film that digital hasnt completely got yet. Especially certain films and especially certain black and white films

5. no stupid bayer filter nonesense.... we have to move on from that in digital photography we really do

In terms of actually learning the craft, there was lots of experimentation sure and it was expensive :lol: but actually, get the needle in the right place on the exposure meter and you were pretty much set :yes: adjustments could be made in the development process and a good pro lab would do these things automagically for you (or not if you wanted full control).

Would I want to go back to film only? nah I dont think I could, but I do know we're still not fully there with digital.

11. catrancher

I absolutely agree with some of your points. 2, 3, and 4, specifically. :yes:

There's something tangible about film, slides and prints that's missing from the digital world. And your comment about the sensor size is spot on. Would that we had 35mm senors. It would make the lens situation so much easier. And so much more expensive!

As far as lab work is concerned, if you had a good professional lab to work with, you were lucky. The closest I ever came was a friend of mine had his own darkroom. Can't even begin to tell you how much film I ruined in there! :ROFL:

While digital can't quite match sorting slides on a light table with a loupe in your hand, I think the convenience of digital makes up for it. Still, I do miss picking the pictures up and holding them in my hand.

Tom :)macwave:... future shock!)

12. Skywatcher

I do love digital photo frames though, an ever changing melody of photos is soo much better than a dusty old picture in the corner going slowly yellow and never looked at.

just MHO

The astro stuff would be virtually impossible without DSLR that has revolutionised astro imaging - the film pics they put up in the queueing area to space mountain are of a quality most astrophotographers using DSLRs can manage after a few months of trying now

13. catrancher

You're gonna love your iPad! :mental:

Tom :)macwave:... yes... it's true!)

14. Skywatcher

I have seen it being used as a fram with the lovely - hangnga nd swinging changed - looks lovely - don't think it will be out of my hands long enough to be used as a frame though :lol:

15. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

I do love those photos, I like artistic photos more than you guys though. Horses for courses. They say to me Disney.

16. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

The thing I like about digital as it means people who wouldn't think of taking photos are taking them and sharing them :yes: I know for a fact if I had to get pictures printed and wait for them I wouldn't have 90% of the pics I have of Niamh :yes:

17. keith

Agreed, the FLIP side of that is that the level of "pro" photography has dipped somewhat.

This isn't me moaning, I'm not affected by it, but really good experienced pro photographers are unable to make a living because "weekend warriors" are undercutting them by so much. Price wise but quality wise too.

18. Skywatcher

We have still paid professional photographers to take sessions of the kids as they grow up - even though we have a bazillion photos of them the pics we have from them are far superior to anything we have taken :yes:

I think you are right Josh one of the biggest pro's for digital is the sharing with photobucket and flickr etc within seconds you can share something with the world - heck on here you don't even need a computer youi can be out and about with just your phone!

19. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

And the flip side of that is that in a changing technological world people need to diversify? I know exactly what you mean Keith but you can't blame people for trying. Don't know how they do it for the money though. I think it's starting to make more experienced photogs work harder and be more creative. I've noticed that with school photos just recently, but for years we've had to put up with poor quality unimaginative photos.

20. Skywatcher

Yep school photos have now become nicely lit action shots of kids at play rather than something akin to the old fashioned potted palm type shots.

Honestly you caould have put my old school photos next to my kids first ones and there was no difference