1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

can we use a tripod in the parks?

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by Disfan, Apr 27, 2010.

1. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

oh for sure, that's what any market is all about, it's free to anyone to come in with a different product, different pricing and give it a shot.

Unfortunately I know a lot of truly great pros who can no longer make a living from their photography because a load of amateurs have setup in the area and are pumping out mediocre snapshots at a couple of hundred quid. They won't stick at it because the prices they're charging are unsustainable over time and many fail out when the going gets tough anyway but in the meantime, they set the pricepoint for that area so low that someone trying to make a living out of it full time just can't survive.

On the pro photo forum you should see the number of posts that go something like "I've done a few weddings for friends/family and this is my first one for a real client, any advice?" and they do a couple then you get "I'm so upset! it was raining this saturday, I couldnt get the lighting right on any shots, I missed uncle/aunty blah blah then my flash failed and I didnt have a backup" or "I got back home and I'd left the camera on iso 3200, everythings ruined" "I got back home and I've lost two of the compact flash cards!!"

Of course, by the same token I can't argue that there were some awful, boring, unimaginintive pros out there either :lol:

2. keith

I think that's a genuine result of photography as an art moving on. Much like the more modern high key shots and so on. There's an interesting documentary called the genius of photography which you should catch if/when it's repeated.

Photography has battled since its inception to be considered as an art just like painting. In some respects it's got there but it still has the stigma of "press the button and done, thats not art". Misses the point by a country mile of course but the influx of folks thinking that IS what it's about really pulls away from photography being taken seriously.

3. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

I have reread some of my posts on hear and cringe at what I have said - I am new to this and some of it sounds so conceited and ill informed, I only set out a few weeks ago to take some nice pitures of the kids and wildlife :lol:

I think 'photography's ' problem when being consiered an art - which I definitely think it is - is that it is not always used for that purpose it is used to capture holiday memories for sure but also just to catalogue events or even to snap an item you are flogging on e-bay - the other art forms don't really have the problem of being 'dual purpose' Music and painting don't suffer from that.

There you go another diseased rambling :lol:

4. keith

very true! :yes: and it's great for that. Sometimes I read what *IVE* said and think OMG you prat :lol: Memory shots are brilliant, absolutely brilliant and some of them are art in their own right and by any standards too! Of course how many of my memory shots will last 100 years like the negatives from the film days have :/

The other problem photography has always had, even more so digitally, is the cloning side. A painting is a one off individual piece of art... it can be copied but probably not perfectly and its accepted that it's then not the original. If you make one print from a negative or a digital file, every other one you make can be of identitical quality so now you have 10,000 all the same!

It's taken photographers a long time to understand this and place a value on the making of an image itself, to limit the reproduction and to charge prices that reflect the artistic value rather than just the price of the printer/paper/ink.

Against that "creation of an image" you have "this is dead easy today, buy an slr from argos and click!".

5. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

I looked at a job in the portrait place that did Niamh's photos (It was advertised in the job centre) and I was shocked/appalled/saddened that you don't even need photography experience. Photography wasn't mentioned once!

6. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

there is a well known company like that that charges an absolute fortune for stuff like that Josh. For the price of one print i could buy an L lens!!

7. keith

Wouldnt begin with "V" would it ;-)

Ive seen women in tears after being bullied into spending a fortune on their credit cards by certain companies for very sterile, mediocre and formulaic photographs.

8. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

might do :yes:

9. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

It wasn't the 'V' company (mind PM'ing me as I'm drawing a blank :unsure:) It was a small studio inside a mothercare store. For around £250 we got 3-4 big prints that where mounted on a really nice frame, as well as an a3 print, and 4 A4 prints.

They are really nice photo's too :yes: Some of them are a bit clichéd for my liking but Jade really likes them :yes: They tried to do the typical ones where they put the baby in all sorts of costumes but Jade got more simplistic ones.

10. MirandaWrights

MirandaWrights Earning my ears

your allowed to take them into DLR in Ca.
    i see them all the time now that disney isnt focused
    on making money selling pictures of people they have lightened
    up on the camera rules a bit.

like now you dont buy your pictures on rides you go to the monitor view your picture
    and then email it to your self its really cool and a lot better then when you use to have to buy them.

dont get me wrong they still have pro photographers in the park to take pictures of you that you can still buy.