1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Can you walk from OKW to DTD?

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by luvthemansion, Jan 20, 2009.

1. luvthemansion

luvthemansion Imagineer

I've always wondered this, is there a way to walk from OKW to DTD? I know you can from saratoga but I like OKW much better
  2. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Yes you can.
    On exiting OKW turn right and then right again at the end of the street. It`s quite a pleasant walk...but not a short stroll. :lol:
  3. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

It's a lovely walk!!!

Not sure if you mean along the road, Slowhand?

There is a walkway along the canal. You access it by going to the very back of OKW near building 54 (or 55, one of those highest number buildings) and you will see a small sign that directs you to the paved walkway.

It's a really nice stroll and much of it is shaded. Before reaching DTD, you can veer off to the left (a lovely direction :D :D ) over a little bridge and walk through SSR and around to DTD. Makes for a really good walk exercise wise. :yes:

I'd not recommend walking along the roadway (where the cars are) as there is no real sidewalk there and it can be pretty dicey navigating along that road on foot.
  4. Tink2

Tink2 Earning my ears

The only thing I'd say is depending on what time of year you go it might not be worth walking. We tend to visit in the summer and the heat and humidity would make the 30 minute walk really difficult. I think it would be a lovely walk when it's not humid but I wouldn't do it at night as there is no lighting.
  5. Tink

Good point about the night time. :yes: Plus, I'd be afraid of running into snakes in the dark. :eek:

It is warm in the summer, that is true, but there is often a nice breeze off the canal and much of the walkway is shaded. :yes: (If you stay on the path directly from OKW to DTD. If you veer off to the left you'll be in broiling sunshine for a long way).
  6. BigThunder

BigThunder a cool thingy

i didn't realize there was a walkway! Isn't it funny you can stay somewhere twice & still not realize all there is to know about it. 30 minute walk? I think I'd still have to pass, lol. They also have boat rides to DTD, right?
  7. Tink

Yes. :yes: It's a nice little ride too. It's considered recreation and not transport. The fine point of distinction there is the ferry to DTD doesn't HAVE to run. If weather is bad, etc. it won't. As recreation that's ok. If it was classed transport they'd be required to run it regardless of weather.
  8. BigThunder

BigThunder a cool thingy

I don't recall any memories of riding a boat from OKW to DTD. Strange. Ooh, wait, I remember where the boatdock & all that is, right by Olivia's. Actually David rented one of those water mouse things last time we stayed but was really disappointed because he could only take it to a certain speed which wasn't much. He said he was getting passed by pontoons, hehehe. So we probably road the ferry & it's just lost in my brain somewhere ;)
  9. Tink

We've rented a pontoon boat at DTD and then had a nice hour or so of it between DTD to Riverside/PO, OKW and back. Fun time! We were told that depending upon the water craft you rented you would be limited to certain areas, so that must be what happened with you.

It's called the Trumbo Ferry and leaves from the dock area at Turtle Crawl. :yes: Takes you to SSR, the West Side (sometimes) and the dock near RFC.
  10. BigThunder

BigThunder a cool thingy

We used to rent pontoon boats all the time. So relaxing! We haven't done it since our last stay at OKW which was probably 3 or 4 years ago. I think if he'd rented the water mouse at DTD he could have gone faster but for some reason at OKW he could not. It was almost funny he was so bummed out. I was quite relieved as he had my eldest on there with him & I wanted her back in one piece!