1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

News Cancelled Aug Trip But.....

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by BUTTERHEAD1, Jul 13, 2014.

1. BUTTERHEAD1

BUTTERHEAD1 Addicted to Mickey

After weeks of consideration I cancelled our August 2oth trip today. We decided as a family that we want to go as a family and that we will wait until we all could go. My son would not have been able to make it due to the fact that he will be at his first week of college(Virginia Tech ROTC). So we decided to postpone until 12/20-12/30. I booked Pop Century and upgraded the free quick service dining to the regular dining plan. I made most of our dining reservations today and unfortunately I wasn't able to get Be Our Guest but I was able to get our other faves. This will be our first Disney Christmas trip so please feel free to make suggestions as we are completely in the dark as what we shouldn't miss.

Tink likes this.
  2. BUTTERHEAD1

BTW we will be going to Sarasota in August.My wife's cousin is having a baby any day now and my wife was asked to be the Godmother. So we will be there for the Christening and perhaps for a few beach days at Siesta Key.

Tink likes this.
  3. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Well, I must say, canceling is easier to go down with a Christmas trip planned!
    First, it will be busy, busy, busy, busy. Once you truly understand that, and don't set your heart on having to do any one thing, you'll be ok. Getting to the chosen park early, and leaving when it gets chaotic (usually around noon if not a bit earlier) is a good idea, if you don't mind spending half of the days out of the parks.
    Definitely tour the resorts. The deluxe are more elaborate, of course with each one having either a massive gingerbread display or candy display. For example, the Grand Floridian has a gingerbread house so large they use it for a shop! The Boardwalk has been known to do a display of the boardwalk in candy and chocolate.
    You might want to book lunch at a deluxe resort that is close the the park of the day. GF or WL when you are at MK, and then after lunch tour the other resorts. Beaches and Cream on EPCOT day... so on and so forth.
    Plan on taking your time, having loads of people EVERYWHERE, and you'll be just fine.
    If you have specific questions about that week, let us know. :yes:

BUTTERHEAD1 likes this.
  4. BUTTERHEAD1

Thanks Tink.... Having been to WDW so many times and have done just about everything that Disney World offers we don't feel the need to see and do everything. I think after we get in out fast pass plus rides we may just hit an extra ride or so. The EMH are offered several nights when we are there ,that plus tge fact that we are night owls we will hit our faves after midnight when available. I definitely would like to know more about the Mickey Christmas parade and the Processional in Epcot.

5. Tink

I think you are going for Christmas at a good point in your WDW lives. :yes: You know the parks, and won't be disappointed if you can't so a particular attraction this time around.

The Christmas parade at MK is really fun and nice. When we make the effort to watch it, we make sure we are there in time to be at the Train Station waiting area overlooking Main St. Right up against the rail, that way you have the best view with no one to block it. :yes: Have never done MVMCP, so can't comment on that. Others here have though.

The Candlelight Processional is really nice (at least the first time you see it)! :D We've never done it properly, believe it or not! We only ever just stand at the back. We don't go as often anymore, but I do like to see Marlee Matlan when she is the narrator. Would like to Whoopie Goldberg too, but never have made it there for her. Gary Sinise was a very nice narrator, too. It's a jolt of Christianity, and the biblical Christmas story. The music is beautiful, and the choir does an amazing job. The carols and music that they sing are a mix of religious and traditional. If you've never seen it and want to be certain to see the entire show in some amount of comfort, then I'd say book one of the packages. Othewise, you'll spend a LONG time standing on line to gain entry for a seat. Or, you will be SRO at the back, and that is ok, IF (and only if :D ) you get there early enough to be near the front of the SRO.

OH! GEEZ! Can't believe I forgot this bit! Save time to tour the WS as each country will have a version of Santa, or if it's a country that doesn't celebrate Christmas (or not much) there will be a storyteller sharing a great story of the country. China usually has the Monkey King and it's really neat. Well worth taking the time to do. Your children are old enough to not be confused by all the variations in the Santa theme. :D (Especially when you get to Italy's La Bufana... try explaining that to at three year old! "They have a WITCH for Christmas???") :D

BUTTERHEAD1 and Watchinherskip like this.
  6. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

Hey BH, I totally understand on the delay of the trip. I would feel exactly the same way. You only get so many chances to share the magic of the parks in your life and having your son not be there to share it would be a drag.

Hey congratulations by the way on your son's acceptance to VT and for joining the corps. It is a beautiful campus and Blacksburg is a neat college town. You will have to stop in Bull and Bones while you are visiting and get a pint of Maroon Effect. Good stuff that.

Tink and BUTTERHEAD1 like this.
  7. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

Great decision.

Disneyworld is great, but it's at its best when you go with the whole family.

8. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

You've made the right decision BH and by going at Christmas, it's a new time of the year for you and it will make the memories you make even more special :hug2:

9. BUTTERHEAD1

Thanks for the tips guys. Tink I took your advice and booked 2 separate Processional meal seatings. We were eating at the restaurants anyway so I just changed them to the package deal instead.
    For the first time in a long time I am really looking forward to a Disney trip. Don't get me wrong I always enjoy our trips but after going so often we have seen and done just about everything, its gotten to the point where I skip a lot of the rides and just do my faves. It's the first time in many years that we will see a lot of new things and experience new shows. I know it's going to be crowded but we will do our fast pass plus rides and hit the parks early in the mornings and late in the evenings. It will be a weird experience for us as this will be our first Christmas outside of NYC.

Watchinherskip likes this.
  10. Tink

That first Christmas at WDW, especially when coming from the NE, is a bit strange. You are no stranger to green Christmases, though, so you have that part down. The warm weather will be a bit odd, too. :yes: On the other hand, it has been known to get to freezing and a touch below at WDW in the winter. It's even snowed, and since I've been here, and that is not so very long ago (about 11 or so years now since it snowed).

It's a new experience in a familiar place. You are going to have a great time!

11. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Butterhead you won't regret the Candlelight Processional. We love it. As for MVMCP, we think it has deteriorated a lot over the years. We went on a Tuesday night in early December last year and it was so crowded we couldn't move.

12. BUTTERHEAD1

It doesn't appear that the parade is offered while we are there. If I read it correctly the last night it is offered is 12/19 we don't check in until the 20th.

13. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

We went int 2011 for Christmas. It was an amazing, amazing, amazing trip.

We brought a mini Christmas tree with us for our resort room and each day we were there we purchased an ornament for the tree - we took turns choosing (blinged out Christmas pickle, anyone?) and these were our souvenirs for the trip. Four years later, and I still get a bit misty eyed each year when we take them out for Christmas - it's so much fun to remember the ornament and the events of the day we bought it.

IMG_3276.JPG

On Christmas Eve, MK was open until 2:00am. We knew it would be crowded. Actually, we knew it would mobbed. But being in MK as the clock struck midnight on Christmas Eve was a bucket list thing for me...so we went. And it was amazing.

IMG_3629.JPG

Bucket list item...check!
    IMG_3623.jpg

Even the boy was a bit emotional...

IMG_3649.JPG

Christmas Day, we knew the parks would be crowded so we steered clear of them. We started out the morning with breakfast at the resort and then opened "presents" - one each, purchased by another family member (luck of the draw) from the World Showcase with a $10 limit. The results were hilarious. (As was the makeshift wrapping paper!) We resort hopped for hours, riding the monorail roughly a million times (even once managing to get a car ALL to ourselves!). We lunched at the Grand Floridian Cafe, with dinner at 1900 Park Fare. That night we headed over to Ft. Wilderness Campground and took a "sleigh ride" (horse-drawn carriage) through the campground. OH MY DO THEY DO THINGS UP RIGHT!!!! It was SO much fun!

As Tink said, we spent a LOT of time in the World Showcase listening to the storytellers - they were amazing!

IMG_3507.JPG

SOOOOOOO much fun!

You are going to have an AMAZING trip, Butterhead!!! I'm so excited for you! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Watchinherskip and BUTTERHEAD1 like this.
  14. Tink

Butterhead, we had the same thing happen in 2008. We had many family members join us for Christmas and thought that the MVMCP would be a great way to have a large party enjoy the MK (and far more budget friendly than paying for the full admission tickets). The party ended before they arrived. :( You'll have a great time without it, so no worries.

Oh, do plan on the Osborne Lights at DHS!

BUTTERHEAD1 likes this.
  15. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

You will love it at Christmas! It is just beautiful.

BUTTERHEAD1 likes this.
  16. BUTTERHEAD1

I am very happy and excited for this trip. As long as we get the dwarfs, splash,space,big thunder,buzz, soarin,test track, toy story, tower of terror, safari and Kali rapid in with our fast pass plus over 10 days we will be so very happy. My kids are 18&14 and they understand what Christmas is all about, they will get what they need and enjoy the moment. I am happy at this point and look forward to this trip.

Johnie likes this.
  17. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Serious Forum Regular

Looking at all the huge trees in each park is cool and the Osbourne Christmas Lights (do they still do them?) Outside of the parks if you want to go shopping there will be lines and lines for parking spaces and you may not get parked for ages and far far away from the shopping complex too. Just be aware of that.

Christmas Day meal... if you want something special BOOK NOW. Or you will be sorely disappointed.

18. BUTTERHEAD1

Picked our magic bands today, all ADRs are made. We have to wait until October 21 to make our fastpass plus selections. It's starting to feel real and I am so looking forward to this trip. We already decided to decorate our room/window and to buy a small tree for our room. We never buy the hopper but we will definitely do it for this trip just so we can hit other parks if it gets too hectic and crowded.

19. Tink

You are going to have so much fun! We had a little tabletop tree the last two times we were at WDW for Christmas. :yes: Having hoppers is a great idea. It will give you the flexibility you need to enjoy every moment.

20. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

The party may be finished before you go but you will still be able to see the Christmas parade/snowfall etc during regular park hours after the 19th.

BUTTERHEAD1 likes this.