1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Captain Phillips

Discussion in 'TV/Movies & Celebrity Gossip' started by Johnie, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Has anyone watched this yet?

The husband really wanted to see this so we went late this afternoon. I knew it was going to be intense but my goodness!!! It was just too much for me :-( I was practically hysterical with that awful overwhelming crying thing at the end. I didn't realize it would have this effect on me. I stay away from war type movies because of that very reaction (it was not a pretty sight when we went to see Saving Private Ryan and Pearl Harbor).

Other than that bad reaction on my part, it was really good. Tom Hanks is such an incredible actor. I love him.

2. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

we were going to see this tonight but changed our minds ...... maybe they need changing back

3. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Really excellent movie hanks does such a good job

4. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

When I saw the title all I thought of was Princess Anne's ex husband :lol: :redface:

5. Johnie

Please tell me you cried

6. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I was very well aware of the story having tracked it in "real time" when it happened so I kinda knew what to expect. It was certainly a very emotionally charged movie and there was quite a bit of crying in the movie theatre. I truly think Tom Hanks deserves an award

7. Johnie

Indeed he does

8. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

We saw it during a preview night a few weeks back. It packs a punch to be sure. The Maersk ship has Norfolk as its homeport (right across the river from us) and SEAL team 6 is based here in Norfolk. The pirate was tried in the city as well. So there was a great deal of interest here. We thought it was really a good movie. It is very intense to be sure.

Tom Hanks was all over the place during the filming and people said he was just so approachable and nice. He kind of reminds me of a modern day Jimmy Stewart. That is good company let me tell you.

DisneyFreak likes this.
  9. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

i'd like to see it but at home now i know it's emotional, they take so much out of me! Lisa made me ;) go and see remember me with Robert Pattinson I knew that it was going to be a weepy but I wasn't expecting what happened to happen. Lisa of course was prepared. I sobbed, not a good look!!

10. Johnie

Now, I admit I am a cryer. Sappy movies, people who overcome obstacles movies, feel good movies. I just cry at everything.

However, this movie, was heavy. Don't go see it Julie. Not right now.

Britchick likes this.
  11. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

Nice comparison.

Tom Hanks, in my opionon, is the greatest actor of his generation. He has come a long way from Bachelor Party and Bosom Buddies! lol

It has been a long time now since he won his two Best Actor award (Philadelphia 1993 & Forrest Gump 1994). He should have won in 1998 for Saving Private Ryan (lost to Roberto Benigni) and 2000 for Castaway (lost to Russell Crowe). 2000 happens to be the last time he had been nominated as well.

12. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

He is my favourite actor and Meryl Streep my favourite actress

13. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I really like Tom Hanks, too. I LOVED him in Big! :lol: I still laugh at scenes in that movie. I saw Philadelphia in the theatre and came out a sobbing wreck. I learned to be careful what I went to see in public after that. Castaway I watched on television. Forrest Gump, too many times to count. I saw Saving Private Ryan once, but whew, that was a seriously tough one. I may watch the newest one, but not until it's available to watch at home.

Not only is he talented, he's ethical and responsible. That's part of my admiration for him.

Brit, I agree. I really like Meryl Streep, too.

14. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

Have you seen silk wood? It's one of my favourite films with her in and Out of Africa of course. Hope Springs was also a very thought provoking movie, her latest one I think.

Can't wait to see Tom as Walt, they couldn't pick anyone better I don't think

15. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

She has been in a lot of great movies (The Deer Hunter, Kramer vs Kramer, Sophie's Choice, The Manchurian Candidate <2004 remake>, The Devil Wears Prada) but by far her funniest movie is 'It's Complicated' with Alex Baldwin and Steve Martin. If you have not seen it, see it as soon as possible!!

16. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I loved her in 'Prada. Wasn't she in that Abba thing, too? Her daughter was getting married and three (?) men show up all possible fathers? I didn't see it as you can tell.

I can't STAND Steve Martin, so not sure I could make it through that one either. I saw her in Shakespeare in the Park. Taming of the Shrew. She played Kate (of course) and Raul Julia played opposite. It was fabulous! She really brought a great personality to Kate! Laughed and laughed and laughed.

17. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Yep. Meryl Streep and Pierce Brosnan in Mamma Mia! If you didn't see it, and you remember Abba from the first go round, you owe it to yourself to see it. It's one seriously feel good movie. If you can get past Pierce Brosnan singing.
    And some of the outfits they wear onstage at the end. :shocked:

Seriously, they do a pretty good job of it. And the movie will just make you smile. :yes:

Now, Tom Hanks.
    Impatiently waiting for "Saving Mr. Banks" thank you. :tapnails:
    If the previews are anything to judge by, I'd think it has Oscar written all over it!

Tom ( :macwave:... continues to wait patiently...)