1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Car hire insurance

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by Britchick, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

Can someone explain this to me please. I tend to book through USrentacar and pay for the Gold insurance- i believe it's now called platinum. I like to know that most things are covered when it comes to things like this.

Now potentially we are booking through a travel agent a car comes with the package. It costs as much to add the insurance as it does to hire separately through a broker. Now, i've heard about the global annual car insurance policies and i've got a quote for £100 per year- including the USA. Will this cover me for the car taken through the travel agent?

2. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

I don't know. Perhaps someone will weigh in. Usually when renting, we are covered by our standard auto coverage. Not sure if we are exposing ourselves to undue risk to save a few bucks. Yeah what do most of us do when renting a car?

Britchick likes this.
  3. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Serious Forum Regular

All I know is this.... book the best insurance you can. We had a couple of unforeseen mishaps that were not our fault and it would have cost us dear if we hadn't had the platinum insurance. Two birds hit our windscreen and cracked it, then someone decided to let their trolley/cart blow into the side of our car when parked at WalMarts... causing a huge dent in it. Luckily it didn't cost us a thing to have it put right but we read the small print of our contract and if we hadn't had the bells and whistles insurance they could have basically had free run on what to charge us to get it fixed... scary.

Britchick likes this.
  4. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

yep I agree with Esmeralda there unfortunately :( I hate insurance, it's the biggest scam going but this is just one of those times when it's unavoidable :(

I'd need to see the terms on the quote to know if I'd trust it but I've seen loads of issues with them in the past. Some only cover your own car not rentals, others cover rentals but don't cover you when the car is in a car park or valet parking etc etc.

I truly hate paying a cent more for insurance than necessary but I've known friends involved in costly legal battles for years because of a simple crash in the states v others who've had to phone from the side of a road after hitting something and totalling their rental but because they had platinum insurance, the company charged them nothing and even brought them a replacement car!

Hate hate hate hate hate it but just one of those not worth it gambles IMHO

5. Britchick

Ok, I'll go down the platinum route as normal. Incidentally none of the insurances cover valet parking apparently. Luckily I live with my valet ;)

6. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

It's specifically excluded from many by the use of a phrase similar to "only covered when driven by the specified driver" so valet can be a nasty little loophole. I asked a couple of years ago and there were places which didn't mind valet parking. There's also the question of car parks but tbh you could go mad thinking about all the possibilities

7. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

We always have Dollar platinum, but this doesn't include tyres, windscreen and undercarriage.

This used to be included but the rental companies realised they could get more money if the tyres etc were excluded and payable at the desk.

We have never paid the extra in the last 10 years but last year, we had a few problems with the vehicle we had, it was replaced with another one but this had a slow puncture. We took it to Walmart Auto and the guy said that it couldn't be repaired. He told us to take it back and swap it as if the tyre blew we would have to pay for recovery and the cost of the new tyre.

Needless to say Chris took the car back and was so concerned he paid for the extra cover for piece of mind as we were there for 4 weeks.

Last year Virgin were offering the full package with tyres etc included, but I chose to go with Carhire3000 as that's who we always use. I did notice that usrentacar had the tyres etc included in their most expensive insurance as well.

If you want belt and braces then either pre-pay before to make sure tyres are included or consider paying extra at the garage. I can see that we will be paying the extra in the future just to stop Chris worrying.

8. Britchick

Yeah I think I'll stick with usrentacar and dollar as I've never had a problem with them

9. Esmeralda

We had Dollar platinum and it covered our windscreen Wendy?

10. Esmeralda

I didn't know that so that IS worth knowing, ta for that :)