1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

car hire insurances, what's needed?

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by wishonastar, Sep 1, 2013.

1. wishonastar

wishonastar Imagineer

hiya

Im trying to book our car hire and getting confused about all the insurances and extras because I want to make sure Im convered but not conned or sold loads of extras

do I need the extra fuel?

what about the extra breakdown cover, if I don't take that what happens if we break down, do we have to pay for a tow truck?

2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

The only thing I ever take is the feature that allows you to bring the car back on empty. It's very convenient and I'm not stuck paying for exorbitantly priced gas near the rental shops. I have full coverage for rentals on my personal policy and that's all I need. With regard to breakdown, I've never had that happen, but if it did I'd be calling the rental place and raising serious Cain. They'd be sending me a new car, and taking care of their wreck on their own dime! :mad:

3. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

I don't know if you are UK based or not but...we prepay the platinum insurance with Alamo - that covers everything plus extra drivers which we need. They may try and sell "extra" breakdown cover at the desk but stand firm, you have all the cover you need in that package. And seriously, you don't need a sat nav if you are staying in the Disney/Universal/Sea World area. There are signs every three inches. :D

4. Tishypops

Tishypops Addicted to Mickey

I had the same panic last night she. I was printing my voucher. I have always got it through the agency I work for but this year I decided to do it myself. I still don't know all the policy details and after having fsa legislation shoved down my thought through work it worries me quite a bit. I have no clue what the excess on the policy I have is and I can not find it anywhere in alamos website.

5. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

we go for the highest one minus the satnav so covers a tank of fuel and extra drivers. You are covered for breakdown but not for problems with tyres or damage to the underneath - i'm guessing in an accident you'd be ok. I don't think there's any excess when i've gone with dollar.

6. Tishypops

I know mine covers tyres but not the tank of fuel. I am considering paying for that when I arrive

7. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

really? mmmm I wish they would just do a Brit no worry package that covered everything! it's a con really

8. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

At the desk they will try and sell you the extra insurance for tyres and windscreen. According to the guy in the garage, it was all included with Dollar's insurance up until about 4 years ago and now it is an additional option.

I agree Julie there should be an all include option for the UK. The only company that I know that includes the tyre etc insurance is Virgin with Alamo.

9. Tishypops

Alamo/Brit do too because that's who I booked through