1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Carpe Diem Feb 09 - Friday 6th - Flying to Orlando

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Skywatcher, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

Well the night wasn't brilliant to be honest, as it never seems to be in hotels like this. For all its plushness the beds never seem that comfortable. Once my glasses are off I cant see the clock so when you inevitably wake up after a few hours you have no idea when you are, is it nearly morning or is it 2 am :unsure: . There are however certain constants - there will always , no matter what the time, be someone close by either coughing, slamming the door or using their bathroom, if you are 'lucky' you will get all three one after the other.

Eventually the sky became a slightly lighter shade of grey and the bladders won the battle and we began to surface. The boys found a compilation show of Dick and Doms bungalow on the telly ( excellent by the way! ). Matthew ate all the complimentary biscuits and I played Hilton shower lottery ( if like me you are optically challenged the shower temperature gage is written by that chap who writes on grains of rice as such even a slight nudge in any direction changes the temperature of the shower in much the same way as the lottery chap announces the balls 2, 49, 6, 32 etc..)

Matthew then proceeds to show us the worlds wobbliest tooth which is now sticking out at right angles to his face - he is apparently saving it for Tinkerbell. :D

Up and dressed at last and all the documents easily accessible we ditch all the disposable one night stuff to be left with 2 small carry ons :thumbsup: its like a military operation this. I love it when a plan comes together :pitythefool:

On the way up to security Matthew goes on and on about a God Turnip, hopping from foot to foot in frustration.

'What are you on about Matthew'
    'That man.....(points) he has a Turnip that means he believes in God :rolleyes:'
    'Ah... I think you mean Turban and shush :embarrassed: , we get a reproving look and a hurumph as we head off to the plane side.

Security is empty and we go straight through. Matthew puts on his sweet face and the lady lets him watch his shoes being scanned. Thomas whines that 'that isn't fair' and promptly isn't allowed to watch his shoes being scanned, much to learn about the fairer sex has Thomas.

Just a short while before boarding so we grab a quick breakfast in fankie and bennies as they usually have marmite for the boy, as it is being served we watch the planes from the window and play I-spy.

'mygomygomygomygo'

'OK Matthew go on..'

'I spy with my ickle eye something beginning with T'

(10 minutes of failed guesses and a tray of toast with no marmite later)

'Would you like a clue.....'

'Yes please'

'erm.... It begins with an S'

:dozey: :banghead:

'Is it Sign?'

'yes see it was easy!!!!!!!' :lol:

Finish a quick brekkie and before we can get downstairs they are calling to the gate! Has to be the quickest time in the airport lounge ever. A short Wait in the 'holding pen' and then on the plane to take shoes off and put on the socks. The holiday begins properly now , as soon as the wheels take off :D

...except they didn't as the pilot kept us on the tarmac for 1 1/2 hours as there was a 'problem with one of the engines' :eek: - take as long as you like with that - even though it was a little frustrating it was easy to remember hat a few days before there had been huge problems with snow so the mere fact we were going was just fantastic. Thomas was showing off his cubes to a chap and his son who were behind us in fact it was nearly all young families in PE which was great ( for us, not so the slightly snooty lady a few rows back who obviously felt there had been some sort of huge clerical error - the urge to say we had been upgraded for free as we had complained was very great :D)

And then we were off, as soon as the wheels left the ground the relief was palpable, and I felt relaxed for the first time in months. The flight was as it usually is I suppose. Madagascar 2 and the Clone Wars were duly watched, boys were very good , food was great really and before we knew it we were flying over the ice flows of Newfoundland - I love being able to see this. As before the last couple of hours seemed to drag a bit but as soon as Florida pops up on the map it seems to just blur by.

As we come into land Matthew quotes the penguins from Madagascar rather loudly

'I have good news and bad people, the good news is we are landing immediately - the bad news is its a crash landing' much to the amusement of most of the cabin with the exception of the slightly anxious lady behind us.

Breeze through immigration which seems quite happy and helpful today, get the luggage and then realize that Orlando airport has changed again. you no longer need to put your bags on the second conveyor - if you want you can take them up the escalator into the train and straight out. we don't as they are a bit bulky and Matthew drives the little glass train towards the main building- this is always one of my favouritest bits as the flight is over and we are there, he warmth starts to creep in through the doors, and you no longer care that you smell like a foot - had some good news on the mobile that added icing to the cake and i started a smile that nearly lasted 2 weeks :D

Had fun then finding the virgin carousel - which isn't with all the others no, that is now downstairs right at the bottom all by itself. I had obviously missed the Tiffany chap but found him at the bottom of another staircase and before we knew it , probably only 15 mins after getting up on the plane we were in our town car on or way to the Hotel.

It was awesome, the sun was shining, the excitement grew with each road sign and billboard advertising a ride, everything was bright and clean and big and wonderful :D

As we passed under the arch we all gave out a cheer and the taxi driver chuckled. 'It must be great to bing such happiness to people, I said and he agreed he loved it', obviously as we were staying at the WL we also passed through the MK gate

'ooo ooo oo ooo thats MY BEST!!' shouted Matthew 'I loooove the Magic Kingdom can we go now please?' :lol:

As we pulled up the driver said ' Welcome home guys' , and I have to say that caught me rather unawares and I came over a bit emotional :cry2:, daft as it sounds it really felt like it as well.

The boys duly 'WOWed in the lobby as the hokey cokey was being yelled from the whispering canyon :D check-in was super quick and we were soon in our room on the ground floor - which as it turns out was an excellent spot.

A quick unpack whilst the kids worked themselves into a frenzy watching the 'top 7 must sees' and we went to Roaring forks for a snack and a drink

Matthew stood open mouthed looking at the fizzy machine

:jawdrop: THAT is MY BEST thing EVER :lol:

Utterly exhausted now we have a quick bath to get the big bits off , we make a small note that the towels and flannels now all have the Disney logo on them :wink:

- it is 1 am UK time when we all finally collapse, all smiling, all excited and pass out listening to Wishes rumbling just a short way away :D

2. Skywatcher

Oh and by the way the bottomless cups you can buy are no longer resort specific - they were just generic ' dreams come true beakers' and when those ran out they were just mickey ones - probably to do with cost but a bit of a shame

3. Claire

Claire She lost the crayons!

God turnip! Love it. :lol: Great reading, thanks Chris!

4. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

:sniffs:

5. Dizneyblonde

Dizneyblonde Secret's Birthday Fairy!

Fantastic report again.

Got a lump in my throat at the 'welcome home guys' from the taxi driver.
    I cried when we first drove through the arch and our driver thought i was mad!

Interesting that the towels and flannels have a Disney logo.Bet it's only at the Deluxe resorts though.

Hurry up with the next bit please :)

6. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

7. Skywatcher

:dozey: No pics on the plane I'm afraid but many to come

8. Britchick

is the general plan to do one installment per night may i ask? :unsure:

9. Disneybumble

Disneybumble The Secret is in the Sauce.

Love the God Turnip.

10. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Oh don't you love the snooty sorts on planes? :lol: As if they are the only ones, eh?

G-d Turnip! :laugh: Precious boy!!! :yes:

Ah young Thomas. You will well learn the ways of women. :comfort:

Isn't it the truth about hotels? Regardless of the excitement or the fun factor of staying in one, there really are all sorts of disruptions. :sigh:

Thanks for a lovely installment! :yes: Looking forward to the next.

OH! Wait!!! Did the boy ever get his Marmite? :unsure:

11. Skywatcher

No he didn't which is a shame he just had dry toast and water :lol:

Brit these take a while to write you know :dozey:

12. Britchick

i know, and i'm very appreciative :worship: just wondering s'all :hug2:

13. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Great start to the trip.

14. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Peace, Love and Mickey Mouse

Great instalment. :thumbsup:

Awww... we all understand that feeling. :hug2:

15. daveann

daveann Addicted to Mickey

:laugh: loved Mathews Madagascar quote what a little character he is :)

16. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

*sniff* *sniff* More please?

17. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

I think it's bummer about the cups not being resort specific. I love the ones i have from Music and CS. :(

Good start...love the penguin quote! :D

18. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

It sounds mad I know but I love waking up feeling like carp cos it means I'm not in my own bed so I must be on me holidays! Whooooot!

19. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

LOL @ the lottery

20. Ilovesnowwhitej

Ilovesnowwhitej Earning my ears

You didnt really think you would SLEEP the night before your holiday did you :point:

Brilliant report, looking forward to pictures.
    xx