1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Carpe Diem Feb 09 Trip - Pre Trip (serious bit)

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Skywatcher, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

Ok before the trip report starts properly a little bit of background, feel free to skip....

Well we're nearly there, a week today and we will be on our way to the airport to start a trip that a year ago we had no intention of taking. When I found all of you again I put up a thread about how we probably wouldn't be going to Disney again due to huge financial commitments we are about to embark upon.

Then for some reason , following a moment of pure madness I just booked the trip. To this day I still don't know what made me do it, or why I decided it should be a 'trip to end all trips' and be the most lavish and expensive ever - but it just seemed the right thing to do at the time.

Since I booked life has not been great. There have been several frankly horrific things happening at work that has made it a very unpleasant place to be. Matthew started struggling at school, several minor but no less irritating things and then, as most of you know, Lisas Mum was diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer.

As a result the build up to this trip has been like none before, usually ,for me at least ,the build up and the planning is 70% of the fun of the holiday. Disney holidays like no other give joy for months beforehand, with anticipation of each and every experience, along with rekindled memories of past trips.

Unfortunately this time we weren't sure whether or not we were going to be able to go, first from a work point of view and more recently due to Lisas Mums ill health - so its all been a bit strange and TBH it still seems a bit unreal. We haven't wanted to get excited about the trip both out of fear it may not happen and also guilt of experiencing joy in the context of so much sadness.

If we were going anywhere else on earth I think we probably would have pulled the plug, but I think we NEED this fortnight more now than at any point ever before. Maybe it was fate that the trip was booked , I don't know but the timing seems to be perfect now - things are ( touch wood) stable enough for us to be away, so that it what we intend to do.

Disney magic comes in many forms and means different things to different people, but to us it has always been its ability to take us to a place that is so far removed from our day to day lives, from all the 'bad stuff' in the world, that just for a moment you can properly relax and simply enjoy the simple things like running around in the sun with your kids - Other non-Disney people ( muggles) don't understand this and simply see it as a hectic run around a theme park between rides, but I know you all know what I'm talking about.

It is so so much more than that.

The only concern is the mobile phone, a blessing but also a curse. Ou eyes will slide to it constantly i'm sure, and I hope the importance of our time alone together is appreciated.

One last thing before normal service is resumed, I would like to thank you all for your part in this.

If I hadn't found you all again I doubt we would be going.

Your help, advice and caring thoughts are pure magic and help me every single day.

I also want you to know how much your mere 'presence' has enhanced my life again, I have smiled and laughed more in the last few months than in the years since we parted, I truly feel part of this fantastic family.

I know I have been bleating on about it for weeks now but I am committed to Carpe Diem now more than ever - I was talking to my dad last week and he was saying 'yeah but if you were told your time was short you'd have regrets about things you haven't done. Everyone would' - I thought about this long and hard and d'ya know what - I don't think I would , not one bit - and long may it continue......

:carpediem:

Sorry to ramble on but I wanted to get that out of the way at the start of the report.

Now let the usual silliness commence :D
  2. daveann

daveann Addicted to Mickey

aww you will have a fantastic time and be able to come home strong and ready to take on the world. hope you and the family have a fantastic time :)
  3. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

:hug2: that was very touching and sweet. I hope that you and yours have a wonderful time full of magic, fun and relaxation.

We are promised nothing in this life and one should always Carpe Diem!
  4. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

right back at ya hun :hug2:
  5. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

:hug2:

You definitely need this break--and Disney is the perfect place! :) Sometimes the opportunity to put the world--or most of it--on hold for a bit is absolutely essential for our well-being.

:fingers: that Lisa's mother remains stable and that everything else will allow you the family time away from stress that all of you need. :)

And, if you happen to feel guilty occasionally during your holiday, just remember that all the stress will be waiting for you when you return! :lol:

Hope you're able to relax and enjoy yourselves, even with concerns for those you love at home. :) :hug2:
  6. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I'm not much for coincidence, but I do believe that there are intuitive things that happen in this world, for which we have no explanation (at this time in our understanding of the way the universe is ordered and works).

So, do I sincerely believe that on some level you were picking up on "something." Absolutely. I believe that your sudden (and as far as I know uncharacteristic) and unilateral decision to book a WDW visit has under pinnings in what has come to pass in your lives, and what went before (the work issues).

I believe that we take our spiritual ease from any manner of interactions in our world (and those folks who don't see that are the ones who miss out on the true spirituality that they could be experiencing) and you have tapped into one form that works for your entire family.

I know it won't be "perfect" with the heartbreaking specter of Lisa's Mother's health, but it will provide you with time to ease the aches that have come (and are yet to come) your way.

So, all that to say, carpe diem indeed. We need to not only do the things that will bring us meaning in our lives, but treat each person we come in contact with as if it is the last time we may have interaction with that individual. Because it very well may be.

You are living that Doc. You do it beautifully and you set an incredible example for us all.

Thank you, and have a glorious holiday. :hug1: :hug2:
  7. mumof2

mumof2 Serious Forum Regular

8. Claire

Claire She lost the crayons!

:hug1: I for one am very glad you are part of this family and I wish you a trip full of fabulous memories.
  9. Dorothy

Dorothy Smiley Herder

Chris I don't think you know just how much you were missed and how glad that we are that you found us all again, me especially :hug2:

I totally believe that things happen for a reason and I agree that all of you need this trip very much. While things at work may be not so great and Lisa's mom being ill are on your mind greatly, also remember to celebrate life because you really don't know what's down the road.

You are loved my friend and don't ever forget that :hug2:
  10. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

Well I just can't add anything to this right now without getting all leaky....

So I'll just :hug2: you and come back later when I'm not a mess :hug1:
  11. Dizneyblonde

Dizneyblonde Secret's Birthday Fairy!

Everything that they said with some extra love and :hug2:

XXX
  12. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

Can I stop skipping yet? I'm getting tired and it was very difficult to read whilst skipping :(
  13. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

As you know... life is for the living so grab it while you can. No regrets X
  14. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

I know some Kegel excercises for that Becca.....
  15. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

FROM THE EYES, WOMAN!!! FROM THE EYES!!!
  16. kazzaqld

kazzaqld Addicted to Mickey

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    This place is dangerous to the wallet isn't it Chris! :yes:

If it wasn't for finding our way here we never would have gone to Japan and WDW in September/ October - and I'm so glad we did!

I have given up saying that this is a last trip anywhere..... especially WDW.

I have decided we don't just earn the money so we can eat, we earn it so we can live! :thumbsup:

I am sure you will enjoy your trip - it sounds much needed - and those gorgeous boys of yours will enjoy it for sure! :hug2:
  17. Disneybumble

Disneybumble The Secret is in the Sauce.

I sincerely hope that your trip removes you enough from the "real" world. Relax and enjoy. I didn't "know" you before but you have provided me with one of my funniest stories of 2009. A new pair of trousers for Lisa on a certain trip. Still laughing now as l write it:laugh:
    :hug2:
  18. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

Wetsuit photos. :D
  19. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

.... all good things...
  20. Dorothy

Dorothy Smiley Herder

I'm just not sure I'm ready for that Dawn :unsure: