1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

cell phones

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by foreverducky, Jan 19, 2009.

1. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

Okay, so my phone that I've had for a while has some major cosmetic damage and I would like to buy another phone without adding to our contract. (Due to being grad student and moving around my parents and I decided to get a family plan to make sure that we can stay in contact, no matter where I'm at).

Anyways, I was told that maybe I could get a phone off of ebay. I've personally never shopped at ebay. We are with Verizon. If I bought one from there and it said it was a Verizon phone, what would I have to do to make the new phone work????

Also, has anyone done this or have a better idea...maybe a real store, instead of ebay.

2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

hmmmmmm shudder

I don't know about in the states but over here in the UK, buying phones from ebay is a huge problem.

Over here you get phones that dont work, phones that have been stolen, phones that only work on other networks and so on.

Of course, you buy in good faith and then a week later the phone stops working and when you phone up you're told the networks have blacklisted it's IMEI number because it's been reported stolen.

I should add, I sell my old phones on ebay :lol: but as to whether I'd BUY one or not hmmm a whole different ballgame

3. foreverducky

:lol: Good one Keith.

So are there any 'real' stores out there to buy phones. That people trust.

4. keith

Well you can buy them all over, bestbuy and any number of places in the mall etc.

The thing is, they're cheaper to buy with a contract than they are "off contract" because the cell provider discounts them in return for you promising to pay $x a month. So most people find it much more economic getting them with a contract than without (especially the newer nicer phones)

5. foreverducky

Oh I know that they are definitely cheaper, but I don't want to add to our contract. So I'm on my own. Hmmm, I will have to check out best buy.

I found one on ebay that I really like, but like I said, I don't know anything about ebay. This cellular place is considered a power seller and has a 99.1 positive thing. They have been selling on ebay for 6 years. Also, they said that the phone is new and with new packaging.

6. keith

Well I must admit, that's a pretty good rating! Perhaps it's worth a shot?

7. foreverducky

Hmm, I still hear the question in your voice. And frankly I'm worried too. It's a lot of money to be scammed you know.

Okay, so I'm browsing Walmart and Best Buy. Lets say I purchase one of these phones, what do I need to do to get it to work as "my" phone and not just a piece of equipment?

8. foreverducky

I'd post the ebay link, but I'm not sure I'm allowed.:unsure:

9. keith

sure you are, dont worry about that :yes: remember things with phones are different in the UK, my info may have zero importance in the states and I'm sure someone else will tell us!

In terms of buying a phone from walmart, you'd need to make sure the phone would work with your network, thats the crucial thing. Some phones are what we call "sim free" or "unlocked" or "off network" which means they'll work with any network. Other phones will be tied to your network but that's ok as long as it's the network youre on :)

You can usually unlock phones that are locked, sometimes free, sometimes with a fee but it's not 100% guaranteed so better to buy the right one from the start

10. foreverducky

Here's the link to the phone/site of the ebay seller. I think this seems like a good deal.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/New-LG-VX8500-Chocolate-VCAST-MUSIC-Verizon-Black-Phone_W0QQitemZ200298236350QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCell_Phones?hash=item200298236350&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1309%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

I guess the unlocked phones don't work with Verizon or Sprint, read that somewhere. On Walmart I can search for Verizon phones only, which is what I have.

11. keith

Well I must say, they've shipped a heck of a lot of phones and still have over 99% positive! so that's pretty good IMHO

12. foreverducky

That's what I was thinking. And I like that phone too. Maybe I should go for it. This is one of those moments where you wish that you just knew the right answer. Walmart is safe and a company I know, but more expensive...or I could go with ebay, someone place I don't know and a spend $100 less.

13. keith

having had a look at the feedback I'd be tempted to give it a shot, but it's upto you (useful huh? :)

14. foreverducky

Okay, let's hope that 2 educated folks can help one educated person make the right decision. Now I just have figure out which phone I want :lol:

15. foreverducky

Okay, I just did it. I went for it...took a risk and got the phone I showed you. It's supposed to be new and unopened with acessories. Lets hope I didn't just shoot myself in the foot.

Now Keith, what do I have to do when I get the phone to have it work for me? Anything special? I'm assuming move my sim card over right?