Changes to Downtown Disney Valet Charges

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World News & Rumors' started by Wendy, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Wendy

Wendy Administrator Staff Member Administrator

In a new move, valet pricing at the Downtown Disney Area will be adjusted based on length of stay. The following charges will apply:
    • From 0 to 2 hours: $10.00
    • Between 2-3 hours: $15.00
    • More than 3 hours: $20.00
    The cynical part of me thinks this is a test to see how many more Guests will pay for valet parking so that Disney can judge what prices they could charge for the new parking garages.

2. Johnie

Johnie Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Vocational Counselor
    I have absolutely no doubt that they will charge for self parking at downtown Disney. No doubt.

3. uscwest

uscwest Moderator Staff Member Moderator

As long as it stays free for on site.

4. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

Yes, i'm sure they would do that.

I think the biggest problem with downtown disney was that people offsite used it as a free carpark and used the buses to then go to the parks.

Hopefully, this will stop that :)

5. keith

keith Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Home Page:
    Ive got so many problems with this I can't even get them out of my head fast enough to type em

Firstly DTD is a dump right now because of the work and lack of parking spaces whilst construction goes on. Valet parking was supposed to offer an option to help out whilst it was a mess.... open later etc and now they charge up to $30 !?

Second, the longer stays could so easily catch people who go to a movie and a meal. Easily over 3 hrs.

I know people use it as a park to get the bus to a park but jeez, the park entrance fees are now exhorbitant anyway plus they earn a fortune off every guest buying expensive souveniers and meals! Parking should be free IMHO

I know this is just typical Disney at the moment but I think it's especially cheeky when DTD is a building site! Honestly with the state of it right now I think I should be able to call them and have them come collect me free of charge in a limo. They'd be lucky to have anyone call em given what a mess it's in.

all I can say is wow.

6. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

Agree with all of it.

However, if people will pay it, they will charge it.

And it seems people will pay.

Until people stop going/paying it will continue.

7. keith

keith Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Home Page:
    yeah that's for sure.... clearly they're going to keep putting the prices of everything up until enough people stop going but wow. Somehow it's when they put prices of things like parking up that really annoys me, much more than if there's something optional but expensive

8. uscwest

uscwest Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, not looking forward to our visit to DTD next month. There are already not enough Handicap spaces.

9. Tink

Tink Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I honestly don't know how often people park at DTD to get to the parks any more. That changed years ago. It's really cumbersome to park there, board a resort bus (all the while keeping in mind that at any given time the bus driver can challenge you) get to the resort, and then wait for a park bus. I know I surely wouldn't do it. Can you imagine coming out of a park, exhausted, with tired kids and having to deal with that to get back to your car?! Nope.

10. Johnie

Vocational Counselor
    There are tons if people on various Disney Facebook groups who still tell people to park at DTD for free and go to the parks.

11. Britchick

Britchick Well-Known Member

Wow, what a hassle to save a small amount of money! It could take up to 60 minutes at busy times or maybe more!

12. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak New Member

Accounting Manager
    To save $15 and have to board two different buses to get to a park that could take up to 60-90 minutes between waiting time and drive time at peak times. No thank you!!

I remember the good old days when you had to show your resort key/card to get on a Disney bus.

13. Tink

Tink Administrator Staff Member Administrator

They still ask, sometimes DF. :yes: Especially during peak times. Also, we've seen a bus driver ask which restaurant they were going to when the guest without a resort pass tried to board stating they were going to dine at the resort.

Years and years ago when buses ran from DTD to the parks, people overran DTD parking for free. That is no longer the case, of course.

Telling people that they can do that (get a bus to a resort to a park) is one thing. I have no doubt people tell others that. I also have no doubt that many of those who share that info have never done it.

Any practical person who stops to really consider the effort it would take would be hard pressed to think it was worth the trade off, money for that much time.

However, people do seemingly odd things thinking they are saving a buck.

14. Johnie

Vocational Counselor
    Wasting so much time.