1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Chomolunga

Discussion in 'Non Disney Trips and Travels' started by Ursula, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

or Everest...... So what would happen if George Mallory WAS found to have summited Everest then? What will happen to Sir Edmund Hillary? Will he have to relinquish the crown or what?

2. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

I can't sleep for stuff like this going around in my head all the time. :unsure:

3. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Honey, I haven't a clue... but do try to get some rest, ok? :hug2:

4. Disneybumble

Disneybumble The Secret is in the Sauce.

and breathe, It has to be Edmund surely.

5. piglet

piglet Serious Forum Regular

Wasn't Mallory leading the way ahead of Irvine? I would have a guess that Mallory beat Edmund to it. :mental:

6. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

I reckon Mallory did it... all the clues point to it PLUS PLUS PLUS the photo of his darling wife was NOT in his jacket when his body was found. Just gotta find that photo now... who wants to go do it?..... Either way both men are dead but wouldn't it rewrite history if that pic was found on the summit.

7. Tink

Could it possibly last that long exposed to the elements? :unsure:

We aren't hearing much about this "over here" so any details you care to provide would be quite interesting! :yes:

8. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

Well George Mallory promised his wife he would, if he got to the summit, bury her pic at the top... he had a silk handkerchief in his pocket containing letters from his wife and a photo when he set off... but when his body was found the letters and hankie were there in his pocket intact but NO photo of his wife. His body was found in an unusual place too... which suggests that he was on the descent from the summit when he slipped....... Lots and lots of evidence to suggest he got to the top. Sandy Irvine his climbing buddy was also killed but his body as far as I know has still yet to be found... there have been sightings of a body where Sandy Irvine was expected to be, waiting for Mallory to summit and come back... but as far as I know it has not been officially confirmed it's him. That's all I know so far. But I would like to know what would happen if Mallory was proved to have gotten to the summit before Hillary...... maybe it will happen with this global warming and it depends I suppose on what the photo was buried in as to whether it was preserved... conditions up there make preservation extremely possible.

9. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

I just like this kind of stuff...

10. Tink

It is interesting, isn't it? One of those things though that I doubt will ever be settled definitively.

11. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

thats very interesting.... I do agree with Tink though.... I seriously doubt it will ever get settled

I mean.. you would need a team to go search for a buried pic at the top... supposing he did get there, and buried the pic and it survived this long....

12. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

Oh teams have been up there and have searched but nothing has been found :( .......................................................................... yet.......................